Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's your "one that got away"?

This past Friday I missed a wonderful shot - my "one that got away" which you can see below. It was this amazing image of a Harley Davidson Motorcycle pulling a trailer, and in the trailer was a passenger - a German Shepherd! And the dog was wearing the coolest goggles, sitting tall and thoroughly enjoying the ride! Unfortunately, I had my 10 to 17mm fisheye on my camera and had no time to switch it with my 50-135.

Argh!!!

So what's your "one that got away"?

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP1658.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  90.4 KB

07-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A young couple in Tokyo doing a cell phone camera shot of their adorable daughter in her kindergarten uniform posing at a bus stop.

And this is another candidate for thread merging.
07-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It makes me think of when I did some sports, and a couple of near-misses that I always tsk about today.

Once, I was reloading my second body during a lull in a soccer game, and had my long-lens body on a monopod in my lap as I sat on the sidelines. Things suddenly got a little wild, and someone took a long, hard shot at the goal, forcing the goalie, who was a little out of position, too, to do midair contortions to try and make the save: I whipped the loaded camera up one-handed and fired at arm's length. When the negs came out, I found I'd hit. I'd gotten the goalie on his back high in midair, (An impressive salmon-leap indeed) But the ball wasn't in frame. I'm always like, 'Oh, if only I'd been zoomed out just a little.'
07-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

This was from the past weekend. I was happily shooting away when he took off. I was shooting at a low ISO, slow shutter and spot metering on the Heron because of the dense shade in the background and bright midday sun elsewhere. Almost....well, he got away, literally.

Last edited by reeftool; 12-29-2016 at 04:42 PM.
07-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
Inactive Account

An all midget biker gang (about 20 of them). They were on trikes because their legs weren't long enough to reach the ground and they were all dressed out in leather like they were a bunch of bad asses.
07-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

The Hawk that past by just before I managed to get this..

my first ever BIF photo where you can actually See the bird. Would rather have had the Hawk, don't see too many of them around here.

07-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The Hawk that past by just before I managed to get this..

my first ever BIF photo where you can actually See the bird. Would rather have had the Hawk, don't see too many of them around here.

Aww.

A couple of years ago, I *just missed* my chance to photograph a heron in flight, and from a great angle, when I *actually had a telephoto lens mounted. * (I rarely carry them: especially because my favorite, the one I had that day, is so heavy. I ought to tuck the little Kiron I recently fixed in the bag more often. )

The camera was right there on my shoulder, but I was just a moment too slow freeing a hand to bring the camera to bear. Lovely sight, though.

07-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
Inactive Account

That was taken with the DA*300 and I specifically went to this spot to practice on the sky rats, the only birds I ever see there. As I was walking up to the good visual spot, there went the Hawk. By the time I got the camera into shooting position, he was too far away to photograph.

(taken on a different day)

It's a great spot to practice because the birds actually fly at a real low level and there aren't very many restrictions and obstructions.

07-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This one, I missed focus, would have been a pretty cool shot if I had nailed focus, was using my Super Tak 28 3.5..

07-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've been playing with older telephotos lately, and they can be tricky to get things in focus.....

I wanted the wake to be sharp...but messed up....