Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Government approved haircuts in Iran

Crazy
QuoteQuote:
Ponytails, Hollywood hairstyle imitations, gelled hair spiked into a style known locally as the “Khorusi” (“Rooster”)... for some, the untamed haircuts of Teheran youth was getting out of control.

Iran’s Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance decided to do something about it, releasing on Monday the “Journal of Iranian Hairstyles Approved by the Ministry” to assist discerning Iranian men in appropriate Islamic grooming.

The Islamic fashion guide, released by ministry officials as part of the press launch for the upcoming “Modesty and Veil Festival,” contains a photo catalog of men with conservative, short haircuts.

The government, with the assistance of the Barbers Association, is set to widely distribute the catalog throughout the country as a guide to appropriate Islamic appearance, lest social upheaval through fashion swell across the land.

“We are happy that the Islamic Republic of Iran’s government has backed us in designing these hairstyles,” festival director Jaleh Khodayar told the local media. “The proposed styles are inspired by the Iranians’ complexion, culture and religion, and Islamic law.”

Enforcement of the hijab – or Islamic modesty laws – is done by religious police. They are known to raid barber shops prone to giving young Iranians haircuts deemed too Western. The police have also instructed barbers not to pluck the eyebrows of their male customers.

Beyond aberrant hairstyles, men sporting low-slung jeans and women wearing flimsy head scarves or tight cloths are also stopped by the police.

A dress-code crackdown often accompanies the onset of summer, as the heat leads Iranians to shed layers and wear lighter clothing. Last month, Iran’s morality police tried a coordinated assault on un-Islamic dress, arresting women they believed were wearing too much lipstick and even those with suntans.
They are trying to eradicate western culture hairstyles like ponytails and mullets, lol. Watch the re-run of The Colbert Report on friday, 9 of July at 2:30am,10:30am,2:30pm and 7:30 to watch a funny segment about this.

Original article here: http://www.jpost.com/International/Article.aspx?id=180754

07-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry it may be racist but the mideast leadership (and those that support it) has always been one step away from the nomadic camel herders they have just recently been evolved from....... (yes I'm cranky tonight)
Which is of course why we should have never messed with them in the first place.....
Guess I'm just a Laissez-faire humanist...... with a low tolerance for religious/state stupidity..... of course that ties into DOMA.
07-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hair today. Gone in a puff of.

Don't they shave off all body hair before making bombs of themselves?

Strangely that seems to have been omitted from the list of do's.

Could there be an impending shortage of virgins? No girls - no bangs.

Mickey
07-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Mickey I think your comment is very inappropriate, I hope you dont think that stereotype is accurate. Its not like we call Japanese people suicide bombers when considering the attack at Pearl Harbor. I didnt make this thread to insult these people. We should pity that because their strong islamic beliefs dominate their government, that totalitarian religious laws like this one control their country

07-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Talking about government imposed do's and don'ts and the relative freedom to lead a life independent of state strictures I came across this in Wikipedia-

The Pledge is predominantly sworn by children in public schools in response to state laws requiring the Pledge to be offered.

According to the United States Flag Code, the Pledge "should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute.
07-09-2010, 02:19 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by szurinaga Quote
They are trying to eradicate western culture hairstyles like ponytails and mullets, lol. Watch the re-run of The Colbert Report on friday, 9 of July at 2:30am,10:30am,2:30pm and 7:30 to watch a funny segment about this.
You seemed to find it quite funny.

Islamic beliefs my ass. I doubt there is anything in the Koran about wiping womans lipstick off with razor blade embedded tissues. Let's get one thing straight, Iran does represent the whole of Arabia.

Last edited by fractal; 07-09-2010 at 03:43 AM.
07-09-2010, 03:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

szurinaga

QuoteOriginally posted by szurinaga Quote
Mickey I think your comment is very inappropriate, I hope you dont think that stereotype is accurate. Its not like we call Japanese people suicide bombers when considering the attack at Pearl Harbor. I didnt make this thread to insult these people. We should pity that because their strong islamic beliefs dominate their government, that totalitarian religious laws like this one control their country
It was the Iranian people themselves who democratically elected their present government. They knew what it represented and what it stood for and what atrocities it continues to call for.
They got what they deserved.
If I choose to make fun of someone who wants to kill me I reserve that right. It is far better than calling for their extermination.
And yes, szuringa, I do think that stereotype is almost 100% accurate. Just look at whom their heroes are, whom they name their streets and important places after and whom it is they teach their children to idolize and emulate.

Spare your pity for those that deserve it.

Mickey

07-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #8
JHD
Veteran Member

This is what happens when the church runs the state. You think they have it bad? This is part of the right wing agenda. God forbid the Bimbo ever decides to run for president and wins; if she does, speaking in tongues will become the official American language. Then you'll have Sunday / blue laws with persecution for all dissenters of and who knows whatever else can be cooked up in her vapid mind prone to stupidity!
07-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
This is what happens when the church runs the state. You think they have it bad? This is part of the right wing agenda. God forbid the Bimbo ever decides to run for president and wins; if she does, speaking in tongues will become the official American language. Then you'll have Sunday / blue laws with persecution for all dissenters of and who knows whatever else can be cooked up in her vapid mind prone to stupidity!
Do you even know what a "tongue" is?
07-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Sorry it may be racist but the mideast leadership (and those that support it) has always been one step away from the nomadic camel herders they have just recently been evolved from....... (yes I'm cranky tonight)
Which is of course why we should have never messed with them in the first place.....
Guess I'm just a Laissez-faire humanist...... with a low tolerance for religious/state stupidity..... of course that ties into DOMA.
Iran is not a country of nomadic camel herders, by the way and never has been. Its religion originated in such a culture, but then so did Judeo-Christianity.
07-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Haircuts and stoning

Everytime I read about stuff like this I have to dig down into my liberal self and repeat "we cannot nuke people"........
quite disturbing:
QuoteQuote:
This act of medieval savagery took place last month in a town in northern Iraq, in the fledgling 'democracy' created by Bush and Blair when they invaded the country in 2003 and 'freed' its people.
Read more: The girl who was stoned to death for falling in love | Mail Online
Well the current one is "safe for now"
Alleged Adulteress Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani Escapes Death by Stoning in Iran
QuoteQuote:
An Iranian woman sentenced to death by stoning for adultery will escape that punishment, Iranian state media reported today, after an international campaign drew Hollywood stars and global leaders decrying what one U.S. senator called a "barbaric" punishment.

But it's unclear whether 43-year-old Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani will avoid the death penalty altogether, or be killed by another method Iranian executioners use, like hanging or beheading. She's already endured a flogging for having an "illicit relationship" outside marriage, even though Ashtiani was a widow at the time of the alleged affair.

Another court investigating her husband's 2005 slaying convicted Ashtiani of adultery in the period when he was alive as well, citing the "judge's knowledge" but little evidence. The mother of two has been in prison in the northwestern city of Tabriz since 2006.
What's 'medieval' about stoning people to death? – Telegraph Blogs
07-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Do you even know what a "tongue" is?
He is making a joke, but the premise of it does not seem to misunderstand the term:

QuoteQuote:
Glossolalia or speaking in tongues is the fluid vocalizing (or, less commonly, the writing) of speech-like syllables, often as part of religious practice. Though some consider these utterances to be meaningless, those that use them consider them to be part of a holy language.

His first sentence was dead-on, though. The history of Christianity when the church ran the state was not pretty, either. A quick trip through the museum of torture in Toledo, Spain will give some perspective.
07-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

szurinaga

QuoteQuote:
Its not like we call Japanese people suicide bombers when considering the attack at Pearl Harbor.
Of course not... They weren't using Kamikazes at that point in the war. They were only used as mainland Japan was becoming under threat.

As to Mickey's comment his characterization may well be perfectly accurate because had you read what he wrote you'd have noticed that he was referring to suicide bombers not your average Muslim.
07-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

and you guys thought the commies were bad.
07-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #15

Original Poster
Its funny that they are trying to get rid of mullets, I believe we did the same on this side of the world(not by law but by shunning anyone you know with a mullet). I dont see how the topic of suicide bombing can be bridged from muslim haircuts.

Last edited by szurinaga; 07-09-2010 at 07:36 AM. Reason: (...)
Closed Thread