Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

The White House (of Cards) is beginning to fall...

White House: Republicans could win control of House

Link

QuoteQuote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Republicans could win control of the House of Representatives in elections in November, House spokesman Robert Gibbs acknowledged on Sunday.
"There is no doubt there are enough seats at play that could cause Republicans to gain control, there is no doubt about that," Gibbs told NBC's "Meet the Press" talk show when asked whether the Democrats would maintain their majority in the House.
All 435 seats in the House are up for grabs in the November 2 election as well as 36 of the 100 seats in the Senate.
President Barack Obama will have a tougher time pushing his political agenda through Congress if Republicans make big gains in November and wipe out Democratic majorities in both the Senate and the House.
In the run-up to the vote, Obama is trying to convince impatient Americans that his economic policies are working and that improvements will take time.
"We understand people are frustrated, everybody is frustrated," Gibbs said. "Look, the president is frustrated that we haven't seen greater recovery efforts, but that doesn't stop us from doing what we know is right, instituting the policies that we know will bring the country back," he added.
Obama and his fellow Democrats are grappling with a range of problems and many political analysts see the election as a national referendum on his policies.
The economy is struggling and unemployment has hovered at just below 10 percent. The war in Afghanistan is not going well. And the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico has prompted criticism that Obama's response was slow, disorganized and too easy on BP Plc.
A Gallup poll released on July 7 showed that 38 percent of independent voters approve of the job Obama is doing, compared with 81 percent of Democratic voters and only 12 percent of Republicans. Obama's overall approval rating is 46 percent.
A year ago, Obama's approval rating among independents was 56 percent.
We salute the sinking ship as it slides into the Potomac...

07-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I think I can see November from my front porch.
07-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
I think I can see November from my front porch.
you live by Love Canal????
07-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Well, I guess we really won't find out until November.

I think the Republicans will shoot themselves in the foot (with a legal gun of course). Harry Reid was very unpopular in the state and the GOP had a great chance to take that seat. But along comes Sharron Angle, the darling of the Tea Party. With some of her far to the right oif center ideas, all of a sudden, the race is close to being even. I think we all need to wait to see if some of these Republican nominees can track to the center enough to get elected.

It will be an interesting election season.

07-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
It will be an interesting election season.
That it will...
07-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The Republicans *might* have a chance *if* they can agree, between now and November, just what it is they stand for and what their goal is. For good or bad, the Democrats at least have a unified platform; total government control of everything. (So far so good, with respect to that.)
07-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is only one political party in this country, and they represent 4% of the population.

07-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
There is only one political party in this country, and they represent 4% of the population.
Libertarian?
07-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I'd have no problem with a republican in the white house, if his name is RON PAUL!! END THE FED and lets get rid of the CIA and FBI forever!
07-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by szurinaga Quote
I'd have no problem with a republican in the white house, if his name is RON PAUL!! END THE FED and lets get rid of the CIA and FBI forever!
Errrr. Yah. I'm sure that'll lead to *expert* governance. Frankly, I sure hope people don't find out the hard way just how much it takes to run this country as they're accustomed, complaining about the existence of government all along the way. Why they want to give up their only possible protection against the greedy and powerful is beyond me. There's a reason we don't look like a lot of the rest of the world, and it's not out of the goodness of some corporate machine's heart.

Electing more of the same as got us into this mess, with intensified divisiveness to cover for the fact that they still have no good ideas, ... all to 'prove government doesn't work' for another go-round, really promises nothing but more social strife and economic disaster.

Maybe it's time some of the so-called conservatives take an actual look past the 'Happy Days' myopia and remember some of the actual history of this country, and what happens when the ultra-rich have their way and people have no rights as workers.

Wasn't the last one bad enough? You can claim Obama went back in time and caused all those empty houses and lost jobs, insurance ripoffs and broken communities all you want, ...but it's not going to make things any better.

More of the same? More deadlock? Seems a high price to think you'll get the CIA out of your head.

07-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Errrr. Yah. I'm sure that'll lead to *expert* governance. Frankly, I sure hope people don't find out the hard way just how much it takes to run this country as they're accustomed, complaining about the existence of government all along the way. Why they want to give up their only possible protection against the greedy and powerful is beyond me. There's a reason we don't look like a lot of the rest of the world, and it's not out of the goodness of some corporate machine's heart.

Electing more of the same as got us into this mess, with intensified divisiveness to cover for the fact that they still have no good ideas, ... all to 'prove government doesn't work' for another go-round, really promises nothing but more social strife and economic disaster.

Maybe it's time some of the so-called conservatives take an actual look past the 'Happy Days' myopia and remember some of the actual history of this country, and what happens when the ultra-rich have their way and people have no rights as workers.

Wasn't the last one bad enough? You can claim Obama went back in time and caused all those empty houses and lost jobs, insurance ripoffs and broken communities all you want, ...but it's not going to make things any better.

More of the same? More deadlock? Seems a high price to think you'll get the CIA out of your head.

Ratmagiclady, I read a lot of your comments on this forum and I agree with you the majority of the time. This time I respectfully disagree.

The FED protects us from the Greedy and Powerful? The exact opposite.

We don't look like the rest of the world? We have 13 trillion dollar debt, which the republic of China is so very nicely paying off for us

Electing more of the same? Which president has ever declared his plans to end the Fed and dismantle the CIA and FBI? Cuz Bush and Obama sure as hell didn't

Good ol days? Isn't that what the Grass roots organization all about? And its not the same as the tea-baggers. Tea baggers are just racist sore-losers.

The last one? Yeah, he f-ing sucked. Even Ron Paul is disgusted that Bush calls himself a republican. NO other Republican has publicly come out against Bush DURING and AFTER his reign in the Oval office like Paul. REAL republicans dont look to start trillion dollar wars over-seas. And Ron Paul is REAL.

We will just keep on fighting forever so just accept my opinion and I'll accept yours. I guess you can say I'm a leftist, but if republicans actually stood true to their dogmas then I wouldn't mind voting Republican. I like the idea of conservatism, which democrats are known for NOT doing, but then at the same time why would a republican start 2 wars overseas costing us over a trillion dollars?

*Ron Paul speaks the truth, and it's evident he speaks the truth because he says all the WRONG things someone would say if they wanted to be elected president. I'd rather a politicians to say the un-popular truth to my face, then to have someone trying to make us all feel good by feeding us lies during election year, only to butt-fock us for 4 years after that

Last edited by szurinaga; 07-11-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: I added some stuff
07-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #12
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
you live by Love Canal????
Jeff, you may actually have to explain the Love Canal to the yungins. You and me know what it is but these yungin's didn't grow up with the papers talking all about it. Probably the same thing with the Bikini Atoll.
07-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Jeff, you may actually have to explain the Love Canal to the yungins. You and me know what it is but these yungin's didn't grow up with the papers talking all about it. Probably the same thing with the Bikini Atoll.
There are plenty of other examples of corp's "fouling the nest" and leaving taxpayers to pick up the tab...as to gov. doing the same, it's only "fair" that we do it.
See that's the problem.. in the US the "past" is yesterday....
07-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The Republicans *might* have a chance *if* they can agree, between now and November, just what it is they stand for and what their goal is. For good or bad, the Democrats at least have a unified platform; total government control of everything. (So far so good, with respect to that.)
And assuming the voters like what they stand for. Against an incumbent of either party, that generic, faceless candidate without a record or positions on issues seems to do better in polling than the real thing.

Nevada is an interesting example. A few months ago, Harry Reid's approval was 33% and any Republican beat him walking away by double digits. The Republicans put a face and a mouth on his opposition, and the lead shrinks every week. Presently, the unfavorables of the two candidates are statistically tied at about 50% each. The race may be determined by whose haters are more motivated to the polls.
07-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by szurinaga Quote
REAL republicans dont look to start trillion dollar wars over-seas. And Ron Paul is REAL.

We will just keep on fighting forever so just accept my opinion and I'll accept yours. I guess you can say I'm a leftist, but if republicans actually stood true to their dogmas then I wouldn't mind voting Republican. I like the idea of conservatism, which democrats are known for NOT doing, but then at the same time why would a republican start 2 wars overseas costing us over a trillion dollars?

*Ron Paul speaks the truth, and it's evident he speaks the truth because he says all the WRONG things someone would say if they wanted to be elected president. I'd rather a politicians to say the un-popular truth to my face, then to have someone trying to make us all feel good by feeding us lies during election year, only to butt-fock us for 4 years after that

he's very interesting... except that ,as usual, he assigns the "altruistic approach to economics and health care"... unfortunately it just doesn't work..
Case in point HMO's and his "free market medicine" approach.
Free Market Medicine by Rep. Ron Paul
QuoteQuote:
Although businesses pursued the HMO model......
Health maintenance organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cost containment was already a major issue for insurers (you know the ones making money off of you) long before gov. intervention..... his plan is back to the bartering of chickens and WILL NOT WORK..... until you convince the MD's of a massive pay cut. Thia will be independent of big gov. also his "model doctor" can probably afford to do it because he's already "subsidized" by his insurance/HMO payments....
No as much as we like to think we can go "back to the future" it sadly is not possible. And much of the "simple cures" we saw arising came from seeing massive suffering....
QuoteQuote:
The earliest form of HMOs can be seen in a number of prepaid health plans. In 1910, the Western Clinic in Tacoma, Washington offered lumber mill owners and their employees certain medical services from its providers for a premium of $0.50 per member per month. This is considered by some to be the first example of an HMO. However, Ross-Loos Medical Group, established in 1929, is considered to be the first HMO in the United States; it was headquartered in Los Angeles and initially provided services for Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (DWP) and Los Angeles County employees. Approximately 500 DWP employees enrolled at a cost of $1.50 each per month. Within a year, the Los Angeles Fire Department signed up, then the Los Angeles Police Department, then the Southern California Telephone Company, (now at&t) and more. By 1951, enrollment stood at 35,000 and included teachers, county and city employees. In 1982 through the merger of the Insurance Company of North America (INA) founded in 1792 and Connecticut General (CG) founded in 1865 came together to become CIGNA. Ross-Loos Medical Group, became now known as CIGNA HealthCare. Also in 1929 Dr. Michael Shadid created a health plan in Elk City, Oklahoma in which farmers bought shares for $50 to raise the money to build a hospital. The medical community did not like this arrangement and threatened to suspend Shadid's licence. The Farmer's Union took control of the hospital and the health plan in 1934. Also in 1929, Baylor Hospital provided approximately 1,500 teachers with prepaid care. This was the origin of Blue Cross. Around 1939, state medical societies created Blue Shield plans to cover physician services, as Blue Cross covered only hospital services. These prepaid plans burgeoned during the Great Depression as a method for providers to ensure constant and steady revenue.

In 1970, the number of HMOs declined to less than 40. Paul Ellwood, often called the "father" of the HMO, began having discussions with what is today the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that led to the enactment of the Health Maintenance Organization Act of 1973. This act had three main provisions:

* Grants and loans were provided to plan, start, or expand an HMO
* Certain state-imposed restrictions on HMOs were removed if the HMOs were federally certified
* Employers with 25 or more employees were required to offer federally certified HMO options alongside indemnity upon request

This last provision, called the dual choice provision, was the most important, as it gave HMOs access to the critical employer-based market that had often been blocked in the past. The federal government was slow to issue regulations and certify plans until 1977, when HMOs began to grow rapidly. The dual choice provision expired in 1995.

In 1971, Dr. Gordon K MacLeod MD developed and became the director of the United States' first federal Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) program. He was recruited by Elliot Richardson, former secretary of the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare.
Closed Thread