Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Food fight!

I just thought I'd lighten the mood.

Which is what they always say, but:

All the thread closures make me think, 'Phew. It's lucky we don't have any Vegans on the board.'

*tossing a pea.* *ducking.*

We could waste lunch food, or perhaps, start looking for things we as people actually might all like to see done. Politics, religion, the kerfuffle when you combine them, ...There's got to be stuff that we can actually get together on.

Whichever 'side' you're on, what is fixin' to happen these midterms is unlikely to actually serve *us,* is it?

So how bout it?

Or shall we see how mystery meat flies, again?

See, I suggest, that we have this thread, and break the usual Internet pattern: In this thread, instead of trying to speak on the divisive, and only responding when we disagree with something, we only respond if we do agree with something. See what builds up.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-12-2010 at 09:54 AM.
07-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We could waste lunch food, or perhaps, start looking for things we as people actually might all like to see done.

Great new sport , the Cafeteria Vegan Toss , glad you thought of it RML.
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Are condiments allowed?
07-12-2010, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Are condiments allowed?
Allowed, but considered a grievous escalation, if we're choosing the 'Let's throw the day's food at each other' option.

07-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

What fun are food fights? All you do is get messy.

Adrian Monk.
07-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heh. Well, how about this one, George? We could always seem to get together, you and I, on local business, less consumerism, more emphasis on producing quality goods and not buying junk from Wal -Mart, at least till the party slogans get involved: How about there?

Surely *everything* isn't an ideological football. What can be done with that? Asked of either party and both, or just ourselves?
07-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Heh. Well, how about this one, George? We could always seem to get together, you and I, on local business, less consumerism, more emphasis on producing quality goods and not buying junk from Wal -Mart, at least till the party slogans get involved: How about there?

Surely *everything* isn't an ideological football. What can be done with that? Asked of either party and both, or just ourselves?
I'm all for quality goods as I know you are from another thread. It would be my pleasure ma'am.

**DISCLAIMER**

There is NOTHING derogatory about "ma'am. It is a southern way of being polite and should in no way be subject to any interpretation, reinterpretation or misinterpretation.

07-12-2010, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

In the spirit of a food fight I want to know who and why someone in Philadelphia decided that it was a good idea to put CHEESE WHIZ (is that even a real food for goodness sake ) on a steak sub?
07-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
In the spirit of a food fight I want to know who and why someone in Philadelphia decided that it was a good idea to put CHEESE WHIZ (is that even a real food for goodness sake ) on a steak sub?
Philadelphia? Cheeze Whiz? Do you really need to go any further with that one?
07-12-2010, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote

**DISCLAIMER**

There is NOTHING derogatory about "ma'am. It is a southern way of being polite and should in no way be subject to any interpretation, reinterpretation or misinterpretation.
Just don't say "Bless your heart". We know what that one means. It was nice of you, though, to put the disclaimer in.
Bless your heart.
07-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Just don't say "Bless your heart". We know what that one means. It was nice of you, though, to put the disclaimer in.
Bless your heart.

And it has NOTHING to do with LGBTs or Political parties.

I'm just saying. For the record. Bless those folks hearts.
07-12-2010, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #12

Photos: Albums
First, I wanna say that I fricking love this P&R forum. I hardly ever get to talk politics with people who have extremely distinct views as I do and are as vocal about it like the people who post here. In fact most people don't know or even care about politics in real life which is why its so cool that people here talk about it 24/7.

but everyone who has an elbow has an opinion and for the most part we all think our opinions are the correct ones which is where most of these fights manifest. But this is exactly what is wrong with politics, it divides people into hundred of factions so that everyone has some ideological enemy. I wish that we could all join forces and concentrate our will to fight and direct it towards the corrupt people in power who ruin each and all of our countries.
07-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm all for quality goods as I know you are from another thread. It would be my pleasure ma'am.

**DISCLAIMER**

Heehee. Actually, we do that in the Northeast, too: it's polite enough as long as you aren't trying to make someone under 40 feel *old.*

Actually, I've noticed some take offense at calling them 'Sir' down here. Normally only NCO's think that's a big deal. Haven't worked out all the nuances, yet. Remnants of old class systems, I'm sure. Actually not terribly different in some ways. Others, not so much.

But that's one thing I do like about the South is when people aren't afraid to use some of the courtesies. Even if they don't quite reach the eyes, you can know where you stand.

You might be surprised to know that my little crew of punk rockers were always of courteous manner: (Well, unless we were being most-distinctly *not* so. ) I'm sure the idea came from 'A Clockwork Orange,' but we were the artsy types and so much of what we were rebelling against had become so *boorish.*

It also certainly a) surprised cops and b) kept you out of trouble just for looking like we did if we didn't want to be.

I'm all for that, actually. Somehow the old New England reserve has been branded 'Not Real America' in how we're all portrayed to each other, even as 'raw sincerity' isn't considered 'real' either if it has a New York accent.

There's patronizing, and there's courteous. I can tell the difference, really.

Anyway, that's rambling observations, not criticism. I've seen similar things in other areas: one thing is, when what people from the Net and media *say* they're about gets too scary and dark, I go meet some 'real' people and restore some faith. Some have the hate, some don't, and some don't want to know you're someone they hate. But that's why we talk. And travel, I think.

Part of why some things bother me is that I can *see* and *hear* how this town is being strangled. People lose their pride in the real things the do and look for someone to blame. The blame-throwers, though, are running them out of business, sure enough, though.

One can argue about identity-politics and parties all day, but that's not what will 'bring back' what people feel to be losing, if they ever actually had it. Both the 'alternative' and 'traditional' communities are being bled white by the *commercial.*

Somehow it's all turned around so that it's actually the 'Green' 'libruls' who want to patronize small farms and the small farmers 'want' Perdue to lease them unhealthy enclosed chickenhouses on their own land.

The big truck you can buy is the symbol of the 'hardworkin man' and not the work.

In few places, more than this once-funky college town gerrymandered between vast tracts of 'conservative' land and developments, I think, is it more clear that someone's made an artificial divide in this country: separated us from each other and tried to keep us at odds, while making all commerce go through *them.*

But. When it comes down to our actual business: our doings as people, the thing between us really isn't 'gummint' or 'banks' or 'churches.'

And if we *really* want to be revolutionary, it's about actually doing the old-fashioned barn-raising, not who takes credit for and demands conclusions from it.

That much is true, everywhere.

Sir.
07-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Heehee. Actually, we do that in the Northeast, too: it's polite enough as long as you aren't trying to make someone under 40 feel *old.*

Sir.
I'd even hold the door for you. You can forget the jacket over the puddle though.
07-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd even hold the door for you. You can forget the jacket over the puddle though.
Yeah, that would be really uncalled for.

It's an older generation of feminists who used to get offended if a man held the door open for them. Of course, if you were born ten years younger, *everyone was taught to hold the door for the next person,* anyway, so there was little to fuss about. Some insist that's still 'feminism,' but ...whatever, you know?

I certainly don't mind: I'm usually walking around with arthritis and optical equipment. You know, if someone's shocked that I know one end of a wrench from another in polite company, that's sexist, but, what, did dudes just routinely slam doors in each others' faces before we got out of hoop skirts?

(Speaking of crafstmanship, by the way. They used to make doors a lot sturdier, I understand. Might well bowl one over if she was in heels. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-12-2010 at 01:54 PM.