Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
It's not the equipment!

Read an article in the Washington Post today many might find interesting.

Makes you wonder if all these buttons are really necessary?

07-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, basically you are right... It's not the equipment... A great photographer can take great photos with any camera. And it's conversely true that a crappy photographer will take crappy photos with a $25,000 Hassleblad. Most of us fall in the middle of that curve though and need all the help we can get using the best gear we can afford.

Mike
07-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree, its one thing to be an Pentax evangelist when one is a weekend camera hobbyist.

Try being in the shoes of someone who actually uses Pentax system for a living in the 35mm world of Canon, Nikon, Olympus and now Sony.

A great photographer can use any camera to take a great picture...but having the right gear for the job imo does the job quicker and may i add safer.

The last time my editor saw sports photographers using pentax was the age when cool was bell bottoms and afros.
07-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
I agree, its one thing to be an Pentax evangelist when one is a weekend camera hobbyist.

Try being in the shoes of someone who actually uses Pentax system for a living in the 35mm world of Canon, Nikon, Olympus and now Sony.

A great photographer can use any camera to take a great picture...but having the right gear for the job imo does the job quicker and may i add safer.

The last time my editor saw sports photographers using pentax was the age when cool was bell bottoms and afros.
"Cool was bell bottoms and afros".....Ha ha ha, but you're spot on.
I remember in the middle nineties, when I was doing a bit of motorsport photography, & it was the same then....I reckon Canon would have been No 1, followed by Nikon. Can't remember seeing ANY of the Pro guys using Pentax.
Cheers, Pickles.

07-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hey, some things never go out of style.

Saw my first "other Pentax DSLR guy" this weekend. First time in at least 2 years...
07-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
"Cool was bell bottoms and afros".....Ha ha ha, but you're spot on.
I remember in the middle nineties, when I was doing a bit of motorsport photography, & it was the same then....I reckon Canon would have been No 1, followed by Nikon. Can't remember seeing ANY of the Pro guys using Pentax.
Cheers, Pickles.
He was quite surprised when i showed up with Pentax kit in a room of Canon and Nikon.
07-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the age when cool was bell bottoms and afros.
Wait--they're not cool any more?!
07-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Fashions come and go; style is eternal.

07-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Greetings from Ely, Nevada, USA

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Saw my first "other Pentax DSLR guy" this weekend. First time in at least 2 years...
I saw my first Pentax P&S user at Grand Canyon a couple weeks ago, a Japanese guy with his family. And I saw my first Pentax dSLR shooter on the high bridge over the Rio Grande near Taos a couple days ago, but he woulldn't stop to chat. Damn those Pentaxameters... Whereas the girl at Grand Canyon with the Minolta Maxxum and a few lenses was happy to talk about old systems.

And a gal in Santa Fe with a little plastic Nikon dSLR saw my K20D and said, "Oh, you have a REAL camera! Can you help me with this? Why does the LED panel show F-- ??" So I showed her how to make sure the lens was tightly seated. Yes, even some Nikonian duffers realize that Pentax makes real cameras.

@OP: The article talks about Holgas for US$15 or so. I must find that source.

Last edited by RioRico; 07-14-2010 at 09:02 PM.
07-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

And a gal in Santa Fe with a little plastic Nikon dSLR saw my K20D and said, "Oh, you have a REAL camera! Can you help me with this? Why does the LED panel show F-- ??" So I showed her how to make sure the lens was tightly seated. Yes, even some Nikonian duffers realize that Pentax makes real cameras.
I get that kind of thing a lot, too. For a lot of people, what makes a 'serious camera' is what they see in the hands of serious photographers, particularly if it's bigger (like with a grip or winder) and complicated-looking.

And, Pentax really wasn't making a serious bid for the pro sports market for a long time: I think they kept a legacy of people who wanted top quality glass and workhorse bodies for a while.

I don't even really know how long it took for motor drives to catch on (and be small enough to be worth carrying around as usually associated with 'pro photogs') but before then I'm sure there wasn't too huge a difference in what you put a big lens on.