Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 04:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wow... That's fairly conclusive...

Link

At the time of writing there are about 3.3 million votes cast with 96% supporting Arizona's immigration law. So... Despite all the pontification of the politicians and other talking heads the people seem to understand what's going on...

07-13-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

interesting poll but the question is worded wrong it gives the impression that you can ask anyone for their papers at any time. The law is written so that you can only ask for papers if the person that you suspect has previously been stopped for committing another unlawful act.
07-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yet, even though the question is put in the worst possible way 96% of voters still agree with it... It bodes well for November...
07-13-2010, 06:03 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GingeM Quote
Yet, even though the question is put in the worst possible way 96% of voters still agree with it... It bodes well for November...
No, It's put in the worst possible way to make people think what the police will be doing is justifiable. Police will just look for one reason to stop "suspected immigrants" but really just use it to persecute them about their papers.

Police- Hey mexican your shoe's untied, show me your papers!

07-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by szurinaga Quote
No, It's put in the worst possible way to make people think what the police will be doing is justifiable. Police will just look for one reason to stop "suspected immigrants" but really just use it to persecute them about their papers.

Police- Hey mexican your shoe's untied, show me your papers!
Even if the police DID do that and if they are legal and have their paperwork in order then there won't be any problem. It would only be someone who is already breaking the law (by being here illegally) that would have to worry. What's your point?
07-13-2010, 06:47 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Even if the police DID do that and if they are legal and have their paperwork in order then there won't be any problem. It would only be someone who is already breaking the law (by being here illegally) that would have to worry. What's your point?
You know that they WILL do that, that's exactly why they are being given this power. You know this is a purely racist topic. Did you notice that the keywords above that poll was immigration,u-s, arizona, msnbc.com and MEXICO?

why Mexico? I thought Illegals were ANYBODY from ANY country in the world that isn't the US.

Last edited by szurinaga; 07-13-2010 at 06:49 AM. Reason: typo
07-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But poorly for the country..... MY country.
That said for some reason all those polls at MSNBC are suspect.
See this one......
msnbc.com U.S. & World News - Should President Obama ask Gen. McChrystal to resign following comments attributed to his aides in a Rolling Stone article?
I believe many would say the poll was incorrect.....
As to polls I certainly concede they point in the wrong direction.........
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2010/05/two-national-polls-show-arizona-...y-popular.html

07-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
graphicgr8s

You know that they WILL do that, that's exactly why they are being given this power. You know this is a purely racist topic. Did you notice that the keywords above that poll was immigration,u-s, arizona, msnbc.com and MEXICO?

why Mexico? I thought Illegals were ANYBODY from ANY country in the world that isn't the US.
Most officers I have had dealings with (as friends and some as clients. My neighbor is a PR and is with HS) wouldn't. And don't. Why mexico? Because that's where most of the illegals come from? Could THAT be the reason? Just asking. Bless your heart.
07-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

why Mexico?.............
I would think that just maybe it's because a greater percentage of our illegal population comes from Mexico than from places like Nauru or Tuvalu.
Monaco, on the other hand has always been a huge problem................
07-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I agree. No matter how you quibble over semantics most folks see the Mexican-American border crossings as out of control and that illegal crossing is a threat to their way of life.

I think it's accurate to say people along the border are "mad as hell and they ain't going to take it anymore".

How you think people ought to feel about this issue and how they do feel is two different things.
07-13-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

....excactly what paper sufficies - a drivers licence? Or do we need to carry birth certificates, naturlization papers, what? Because I'm worried, as I might blurt out 'Eh' in the presence of an officer, who will immediately suspect I'm an illegal Canadian.
07-13-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
....excactly what paper sufficies - a drivers licence? Or do we need to carry birth certificates, naturlization papers, what? Because I'm worried, as I might blurt out 'Eh' in the presence of an officer, who will immediately suspect I'm an illegal Canadian.
What papers would you carry in mexico if you were living there legally? Or in Canada if you were a legal resident? Aren't you issued a card with your status? My wife still has to carry her green card. What's the big deal?
07-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I would think that just maybe it's because a greater percentage of our illegal population comes from Mexico than from places like Nauru or Tuvalu.
Monaco, on the other hand has always been a huge problem................
Ok, then lets just call this law what it is, the Anti-Mexican law. To follow what you are saying, Police officers, not border patrol, need to concentrate almost all of the powers granted to them by harassing all illegal looking mexicans.

ALL people who have deep hispanic roots, despite being american citizens, will be hunted by police just because of their facial appearance.

People of Arizona, say good-bye to over half of your Diamondback baseball team

---------- Post added 07-13-10 at 07:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
What papers would you carry in mexico if you were living there legally? Or in Canada if you were a legal resident? Aren't you issued a card with your status? My wife still has to carry her green card. What's the big deal?
What papers would I carry around the country I live legally in? Nothing...

I am a citizen of Puerto Rico and U.S. but when I am in both countries I carry neither papers of identification or anything like that, unless you count my Ralph's card

Last edited by szurinaga; 07-13-2010 at 07:32 AM.
07-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #14
graphicgr8s

Ok, then lets just call this law what it is, the Anti-Mexican law. To follow what you are saying, Police officers, not border patrol, need to concentrate almost all of the powers granted to them by harassing all illegal looking mexicans.

ALL people who have deep hispanic roots, despite being american citizens, will be hunted by police just because of their facial appearance.

People of Arizona, say good-bye to over half of your Diamondback baseball team
Well we can't get the Federal Government to enforce our laws. They CAN'T be stopped just for being mexican. And again, if they are legal they have nothing to worry about.
07-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
interesting poll but the question is worded wrong it gives the impression that you can ask anyone for their papers at any time. The law is written so that you can only ask for papers if the person that you suspect has previously been stopped for committing another unlawful act.
We went through this at length in another thread. The law actually says they can a person ask for papers in the course of any "lawful contact' with the person. The statute, as written, does not requrie that they be suspected of a crime, and no one really knows what a "lawful contact" means. Commentators have speculated that it could be anything from a casual "lawful" conversation with a citizen to suspicion of an actual crime.
Closed Thread