Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Soccer VS Football (split off from Pentax at 2010 World Cup thread)

Thread split from "Pentax at 2010 Soccer World Cup" thread... MRRiley

It's Football World Cup.

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-13-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: explaining thread split
07-08-2010, 03:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
It's Football World Cup.
Soccer is a perfectly acceptable word for the sport. The word was coined by the British.

Wordorigins.org
http://www.wordorigins.org/wordors.htm
"Soccer
Soccer is an abbreviation for Association Football. The Football
Association was formed in London in October 1863 when representatives
of eleven clubs and schools met in an attempt to standardize the rules
of the game. One of the rules prohibited the carrying of the ball, a
rule that would lead to the Rugby-oriented clubs leaving the
Association several months later. The name Association Football was
coined to distinguish it from Rugby.

By 1889, the abbreviation socca' was in use, and the spelling soccer
had made its appearance by 1895."
07-08-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Soccer is a perfectly acceptable word for the sport. The word was coined by the British.

Wordorigins.org
http://www.wordorigins.org/wordors.htm
"Soccer
Soccer is an abbreviation for Association Football. The Football
Association was formed in London in October 1863 when representatives
of eleven clubs and schools met in an attempt to standardize the rules
of the game. One of the rules prohibited the carrying of the ball, a
rule that would lead to the Rugby-oriented clubs leaving the
Association several months later. The name Association Football was
coined to distinguish it from Rugby.

By 1889, the abbreviation socca' was in use, and the spelling soccer
had made its appearance by 1895."

Thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't imagine it. By the way Football is also a bit inappropriate because it is not only the FOOT that is used to play we may also use the Head (and sometimes the HANDS or ARMS without being sanctioned, )

Rui
07-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's Football World Cup.

Ok we all now its Futball (football) Soccer comes from a Slang created from the english ( the inventors of the game) Soccer comes from Assocation of Football.
I wish I was there shooting. I love that sport.

07-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by layfsphoto Quote
Ok we all now its Futball (football) Soccer comes from a Slang created from the english ( the inventors of the game) Soccer comes from Assocation of Football.
I wish I was there shooting. I love that sport.
You mean futbol?
07-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Thanks for providing a platform to share thoughts about the term.

Actually, it is football, le football, voetball, fußball, futbol, etc. in almost all countries in the world. In the US (and Canada and Australia) however, due to the popularity of what is called "American football" elsewhere another term (the English slang for association football, soccer) became popular.

That would all be nice.

If not everybody in the rest of the world wouldn't hear "sucker" if an American says "soccer" ...

I am also wondering if the sport wouldn't be more popular in the US if it wouldn't be called succa

I really loved if another term for what is the only world-uniting team sport could be coined. I learn that "kickey" rather than soccer is used in some rural south US communities. But that isn't a great term either

May I propose "futbol"? Looks cool, coincides with Spanish, Russian, Turkish and other spellings and there are many words which sound like another word and where context resolves the ambiguity ...
07-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Inactive Account

soccer = metric football

In american football there are only two people on each team that use their feet to move the ball. In metric football there is only 1 person on each team that gets to use their hands (unless your team is from Uruguay).

In order for soccer to catch on in the USA I think they need to have some more ways to score, that way it would be more exciting. The high probability of a game ending with a 0-0 score after 90 minutes is unacceptable to american audiances. Maybe they can have a panel of judges like they have in boxing that can award points for attempts where the goalie doesn't even try to block it but they get lucky because it hits the post or goes a little wide. They also need better officiating and to use more technology. There were a lot of BS calls that could have easily been corrected by review of the video. The final thing that I think would benefit pro soccer (and basketball) is post game review and punishment of floppers. Allow referees to review flops during halftime or after the game and undue yellow cards (or fouls in basketball) that were erroniously issued and transfer them to the flopper so that they start the second half or the next game with a mark against them. I think some of the worst floppers in the NBA come from soccer countries like dirk nowitzki and manu ginobili.

07-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
In order for soccer to catch on in the USA I think they need to have some more ways to score, that way it would be more exciting. The high probability of a game ending with a 0-0 score after 90 minutes is unacceptable to american audiances.
I used to think the same. Of course, you could always have the penalty shootout after 90min which is always very exciting.

Recently, I understood the math behind game result probabilities. And now I know that it is exactly the low average number of scores which make it likely the weaker team beats the stronger one (Poisson probability if you like to read about it). So, you never know who wins until the game is over. I think that this really adds to the attraction of the sport.

P.S.
What makes association football metric? The "association" was from England, wasn't it?
07-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
P.S.
What makes association football metric? The "association" was from England, wasn't it?
b/c "football" means soccer everywhere that uses the metric system and something else in America where the imperial system is still used.
07-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

b/c "football" means soccer everywhere that uses the metric system and something else in America where the imperial system is still used.
The correlation is a weak one only.

UK uses the imperial system and says football and Australia is metric and says soccer. But it is true that "football" means soccer everywhere except of three lonely countries. So, this may explain why you got the impression

But on the other hand, you may be more correct than I thought. Because I read (dated Dec 2004):
QuoteQuote:
Soccer will officially become football in Australia next year after the Australian Soccer Association (ASA) announced it would change its name to Football Federation Australia (FFA).
ASA chairman Frank Lowy said the symbolic move would bring Australia into line with the vast majority of other countries which call the sport football.
07-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
Forum Member

Canada

We mostly call it Soccer in Canada, though it should be noted that Toronto's professional team is called the TFC or Toronto Football Club (actually it's officially just "Toronto FC").

As to what soccer should do to become more attractive to American audiences: it shouldn't do anything. It's already the world's most popular sport for good reason. Whether Americans dig it or not is irrelevant.
07-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In order for soccer to catch on in the USA I think they need to have some more ways to score, that way it would be more exciting. The high probability of a game ending with a 0-0 score after 90 minutes is unacceptable to american audiances.
You got it wrong.

It's all because of television.

All American sports are tailored to be as "series of advertising jingles" (John Cleese). Time outs, breaks, etc. Football is continuous action (or lack of it) without advertising breaks. Of course, such sport is not attractive to televisions. And that's the main reason why it is not pushed in USA.

QuoteOriginally posted by sezme Quote
As to what soccer should do to become more attractive to American audiences: it shouldn't do anything. It's already the world's most popular sport for good reason. Whether Americans dig it or not is irrelevant.
I completely agree.
07-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
May I propose "futbol"? Looks cool, coincides with Spanish, Russian, Turkish and other spellings and there are many words which sound like another word and where context resolves the ambiguity ...
Calcio in Italy. Piłka Nożna in Poland. And i bet that many other names in other languages
07-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
Inactive Account

You got it wrong.

It's all because of television.

All American sports are tailored to be as "series of advertising jingles" (John Cleese). Time outs, breaks, etc. Football is continuous action (or lack of it) without advertising breaks. Of course, such sport is not attractive to televisions. And that's the main reason why it is not pushed in USA.
If they wanted to they could implement advertising in a number of ways like making any break in the action (throw-ins, corner kicks, post score setup, free kick setup, etc.) 30 seconds. Standardization of these breaks would be inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and would allow networks to quickly cut to a commercial and resume the game.

There are also a lot of options for new forms of advertising, especially when you are starting with a blank slate for broadcasting. Broadcasters could write contracts that would allow them to control which advertisements are shown to their audiences in the ribbon around the field and digitally replace whatever might be there.

How do other countries handle this? I know that the british broadcaster of the world cup cut to an ad and missed a british goal in the usa v uk game.

Another option would be to have a 30 second broadcast delay instead of being 100% live that would let the broadcaster to cut to ads whenever the producer deems a series of plays to be boring and unimportant to the game's outcome and come back in when something important happens.
07-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In Belgium (french speaking part) no add at all but before, after and during the break at 45:00.
Hopefully, it will stay as is.