Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably the guy who kept Red Sox fandom alive through thichk and thin with teh hate.

07-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
You never seem to miss a chance to slip in a comment straight outta right field...

Chris
Your comment came out of Left Field. There is no reason to be so bitter at the world or at a man you never met.

Why do you not mention all of the charitable work Goerge did?
Probably because you have no idea about what he did off of the field.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to publicaly say a dead man should go to hell is just mean spirited.
07-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Your comment came out of Left Field. There is no reason to be so bitter at the world or at a man you never met.

Why do you not mention all of the charitable work Goerge did?
Probably because you have no idea about what he did off of the field.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to publicaly say a dead man should go to hell is just mean spirited.
Actually I'm closer to center. I only look like I'm in left to you because you're playing so close to the the line in right.

Bitter at the world? My comments were about Steinbrenner, and those who make a saint of a scoundrel.
IMO wrongs commited and damage done by Steinbrenner outweigh any benefit from his acts of noblesse oblige.
A detailed enumeration would no doubt have to be taken to the Political and Religious Discussion forum.

And actually I believe in neither heaven nor hell, as you would probably expect.
But the thought of George continuing to fire Billy in an afterlife is just hilarious!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-15-2010 at 04:13 PM.
07-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

IMO wrongs commited and damage done by Steinbrenner outweigh any benefit from his acts of noblesse oblige.
A detailed enumeration would no doubt have to be taken to the Political and Religious Discussion forum.
Chris
As asked by you earlier, please elaborate. What did he do that was so bad that he cannot be forgiven?

I really want to know (because maybe I have a misguided view of George being a decent man with faults but a big heart) what are the "wrongs" and who or what did he "damage"?

07-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Just to add something that I just read and had no idea of. George paid for EVERY SINGLE child of a firefighter or police officer who died during 9/11 to go to college. Is that not one of the most noble things a man can do in his life?
07-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Ok, well you've made it very clear that you have no idea what he did that was so bad, otherwise you would have posted it here and let the moderators worry about moving the thread or not, plus you did not comment on my previous post about paying for the college educations of the children of firefighters and police officers who died during 9/11.

Discussion finished.

****This was a response to a message that Chris had posted saying that in order to explain the bad George did, this would have to be moved to the religion and politics sections but he removed it, why, I can only guess.

Last edited by KxBlaze; 07-15-2010 at 04:25 PM.
07-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW a simple Google search will turn up all the dirt on old George.

But hey, this thread is your shrine. I will not desecrate it with facts...

Chris

07-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Haha, a google search? That just proves 100% that you have no idea who George really was.

And where would you get the idea that I do not like facts?

And please get at least some facts about a man before you condemn him to hell

And this is not my thread, I didn't start it.

In any case. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and my opinion is that George was a good man at heart, but he had some definite flaws (illegal campaign contributions, trying to falsify watergate information, SEE, that is how you back up what you say) and the charitable work he did should and will outweigh the bad.

Sorry to everyone else that had to listen to us go back and forth. This will be my last thread on this specific topic. If anyone else wants to talk legitimately about George I will gladly join in.
07-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Whatever you think of it, Steinbrenner was the crassest baseball manager for half a century. If there are no local attachments of any kind to any given baseball team... Well.

Go, Madison Mallards!
07-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Haha, a google search? That just proves 100% that you have no idea who George really was.
I suggested a Google search for you and others who are not familiar with or merely in denial of George Steinbrenner's darker side.
As previously mentioned a thorough discussion might more appropriately take place in the Poltical and Religious Discussion forum.
I am not interested enough in the subject to unblock that forum to pursue the issue with you there.

No idea who George really was, huh?
As a native New Yorker I was here long before George, and have been witness to nearly forty years of his shenanigans.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-15-2010 at 05:02 PM.
07-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Gee, why am I not surprised you'd excuse a rich Republican for any and all misdeeds?

Good riddance to you, George Steinbrenner. May you go on to keep firing Billy Martin in Hell...

Chris
You failed to see my point. Everyone has skeletons, transgressions or misdeeds and yet the beauty is that they can become benefactors or gain redemption (a growing popular word in certain circles) for others. Just because one makes mistakes doesn't mean it's the end of the world. GS was an ahole to some and good for others. On the field of baseball he did good and bad. His legacy is up for debate in some circles. It's beyond "his misdeeds."

And nobody mentioned a "rich Republican," whether he was or wasn't, isn't germaine. That he was a shrewd Capitalist, a businessman is another.

Politics is cool but it does not figure in one bit on this matter. Unless you want to make it so.

Ratmagiclady: Echo the feelings for the Mallards and let me add a shout out for the La Crosse Loggers. (Great lower level baseball and at a cheaper price)

Last edited by Jools; 07-15-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: clarification
07-16-2010, 05:02 AM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

Revitalized the Yankees maybe, but helped ruin the sport in many people's eyes.

Chris
Unfortunately, you can't always make things up and get away them. You have to look at the state of baseball during that era and what he did DURING that era.

Baseball was waning in popularity, and it was guys like Steinbrenner and Finley who, with their investments and colorful characters, brought interest back to the game. It also raised the bar for all teams, and forced owners to become more competitive, or they would no longer be profitable.

This, during the time of Watergate and prior to Nixon's resignation, so any "illegal" campaign contributions happened prior to him owning the team. (Nixon won reelection in 72, Steinbrenner bought the Yankees in 73, and Nixon resigned in 74.)

And if you look at the people who matter, those with a right to "hate" him for his personality (former players, managers, coaches, etc.), they simply don't.
07-16-2010, 05:03 AM   #28
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Probably the guy who kept Red Sox fandom alive through thichk and thin with teh hate.
What--no championships in HOW many years wasn't reason enough!?
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:
07-16-2010, 06:29 AM   #29
Veteran Member

George who? Oh, this is about sports, right? Sports, the real USA state religion. Televised team sports, the display module of the gambling industry, lifeblood for bar owners and the producers of big-screen TVs and junk snacks. Professional team sports, a racket dominated by owners who make pickpockets and ambulance-chasing shysters look saintly. Dare I mention steroids? Et cetera. Maybe George wasn't the worst of the lot. I don't really care. Another one bites the dust.
07-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Unfortunately, you can't always make things up and get away them. You have to look at the state of baseball during that era and what he did DURING that era.
Nothing's made up; it's all on record. So now it's Saint George a victim of circumstances? Gimme a break...

Chris