Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
graphicgr8s

George Steinbrenner

George Steinbrenner suffered a major heart attack and has passed. NY and Tampa Bay will miss him.

Rest In Peace George

07-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RIP to the man who revitalized the sport!!!

RIP to a WINNER who wouldn't accept losing and thought
the New York fans deserved more!!!

RIP to the man who people in every city wished owned THEIR teams!!!

And RIP to the man who showed the proof is in the pudding, and showed what sour grape
losers so many baseball fans are!!!
07-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Revitalized the Yankees maybe, but helped ruin the sport in many people's eyes.

Chris
07-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Revitalized the Yankees maybe, but helped ruin the sport in many people's eyes.

Chris
I agree 100%. It's sad that he died, but he is the MAIN reason baseball needs a salary cap. And I am SO glad Cliff Lee didn't go to the Yankees, but give it a year or two, he'll be there......

07-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
RIP to the man who revitalized the sport!!!

RIP to a WINNER who wouldn't accept losing and thought
the New York fans deserved more!!!

RIP to the man who people in every city wished owned THEIR teams!!!

And RIP to the man who showed the proof is in the pudding, and showed what sour grape
losers so many baseball fans are!!!
He's also the man who gave tens of millions of dollars, his own money, to different endeavors in the Tampa Bay area. From the arts to individual people he's helped. I can't even fathom how much he's raised for our area. He was a tough businessman. But he also had a soft side. Tampa renamed the Yankees Legend Field Steinbrenner Field and also named a school after him.
07-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You forgot to add convicted felon...

Chris
07-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

You forgot to add convicted felon...

Chris
He pleaded guilty. He paid the fines. 35 grand. He was pardoned.

He also revolutionized baseball. And the Yankees, according to Forbes is worth over a billion buckaroos. Not bad for a 10 million dollar investment. And there are only 2 other franchises worth more. Dallas being one of them. Can't remember the other team.

And after moving here 35 years ago looking for a berth wide enough for his shipbuilding company he's made many many contributions to this area. He was a giving person. And to think. I hate baseball. (All sports actually except for fishing of course)

Good thing he died this year though. Next year his estate would have been taxed to death.

07-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
He's also the man who gave tens of millions of dollars, his own money, to different endeavors in the Tampa Bay area. From the arts to individual people he's helped. I can't even fathom how much he's raised for our area. He was a tough businessman. But he also had a soft side. Tampa renamed the Yankees Legend Field Steinbrenner Field and also named a school after him.
George Steinbrenner probably gave away more money than he ever payed to ball players. Every cop and fireman who died in the line of duty, including the 9/11 attack, had his kids college education payed for by George. A sad day indeed for NY. He will be missed
07-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One of the true great owners in sports history. I can only hope Hank and Hal can be 1/2 the man/owner their father was.
07-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

RIP George Steinbrenner.

He was a man like any other of us; with faults and victories.
He was a man whom some saw as a savior and others a villain.

I'm a big baseball fan. And I am mixed about his accomplishments. A Midwesterner of money who made the Yankees big again in the 1970s all the time touting a supposed blue collar ethic.

That he used and some may argue abused free agency, he certainly changed the game. Big payroll teams versus the small market ones was one sad outcome.

I am no Yankee fan and never will be one. But he made an impact on baseball; from paying to find dirt about Winfield, to throwing temper tantrums about Billy Martin (ad nauseum) and creating the Bronx Zoo era, to resurrecting the Yankee franchise and making a mint with their TV package. Like it or not he changed baseball. He made NYC sports the center of the universe and the East Coast its solar system. The rest of us Pluto and beyond.

In the end, I didn't care for his brashness and it might have worked out in the end for his business goals, but at what cost? Alienation around the country for the Yankees other than the NY expatriates or retirees.
Still, rest in peace GS, for all you did inside and outside of baseball.

Last edited by Jools; 07-15-2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: clarification
07-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gee, why am I not surprised you'd excuse a rich Republican for any and all misdeeds?

Good riddance to you, George Steinbrenner. May you go on to keep firing Billy Martin in Hell...

Chris
07-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
graphicgr8s

Gee, why am I not surprised you'd excuse a rich Republican for any and all misdeeds?

Good riddance to you, George Steinbrenner. May you go on to keep firing Billy Martin in Hell...

Chris
Because he did a hell of a lot more good than bad. He made 2 mistakes which he paid for. He did a lot more good than that and gave 10's of million's of his own money to various charities and individual people here in the Tampa area. Separate the tough business man from the kind hearted one. He GAVE. It wasn't confiscated and redistributed. He willingly gave it.

And I'd say the same for a rich Democrat that did the same thing for this area. Political affiliation isn't really a part of the equation here.
07-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
It wasn't confiscated and redistributed.
To whom and what does this comment refer to, George? You never seem to miss a chance to slip in a comment straight outta right field...

Chris
07-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
graphicgr8s

To whom and what does this comment refer to, George? You never seem to miss a chance to slip in a comment straight outta right field...

Chris
Just referring to the fact that GS gave a lot back to the community. It was never pried from his hands. He was a very generous person. He shared the wealth the real way. He gave. It wasn't required to be confiscated to share the wealth. Although I am pretty sure much was.
07-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...and then elaborate on it!

Chris