Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
actually I'm surprised it was 70-30 for Nikon, I would have expected Canon to be the more popular one
I live around Chicago and see a dominance of Nikon "entry level" seems like I see more Canon prosumer- but Nikon is usually the dominant brand. Not sure what I would do if I saw another k7 in the city...

08-02-2010, 05:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. Ben Quote
Not sure what I would do if I saw another k7 in the city...
Someone hasn't learned the secret handshake yet.
08-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kace Quote
My wife and I just got back from a cruise. I took along my K-x, and she her E620 Oly.
I made a point of identifying every DSLR I saw on the trip and was mind blown!
I'd guess out of , maybe approx 80- 100 DSLRs I saw on the whole trip:
~70% Nikon
~30% Canon

My K-x and her Oly made up the numbers!

Really, not one non-Canon or Nikon camera other than ours.
I'd agree that it was not that way 25 years ago, but that was close to my experience in Spain, as well. At the two mega tourist stops (The Alhambra and Mezquita de Cordoba), where there was a DSLR hanging from every fifth neck, I saw exactly one (1) Pentax. It was attached to a Japanese gentleman with whom I was unable to start a conversation. However, I did see a few other brands besides CaNikon. I saw Olympus and Sony several times, and I even snapped a shot with a Sony for someone.
08-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Spent 4 hours yesturday walking my dog on Mont-Royal (downtown Montreal)... couldn't help noticing what people were using... so many Rebels, unveleivable.... Canon really did a good job marketing these...

Canon - 79.05%
Nikon - 20%
Sony/Oly/Pentax - .05%

Been in downtown Ottawa a few months back and it was about 50/50 there...

08-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my neck of the woods, we have a lot of Asian tourists. It is not unusual to see Pentax, Olympus, or Sony at any of the more popular attractions. The Vancouver/Portland area along with much of the Pacific Northwest is sort of a photographer's Mecca. As a result, it is not unusual to see all manner of photography equipment being used. About the only thing I have not seen "in the wild" is Leica.

Steve
08-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Of all my travels aside from meets, I have seen two Olympus DSLRs, no Pentax (Although I met someone on CL to sell them a lens, and bought some stuff from another one), and a 3 or so Sonys (one is a friend of a friend). The rest were CaNikon.
08-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In my neck of the woods, we have a lot of Asian tourists. It is not unusual to see Pentax, Olympus, or Sony at any of the more popular attractions. The Vancouver/Portland area along with much of the Pacific Northwest is sort of a photographer's Mecca. As a result, it is not unusual to see all manner of photography equipment being used. About the only thing I have not seen "in the wild" is Leica.

Steve
I can assure you that about this time two years ago, there was at least one non-asian tourist shooting Pentax in the wild and in the rain out your way.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
08-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I am not one to purposely pick out which brand of cameras people have around their neck, but I do admit it is easy to see the red PENTAX on a strap from time to time. From my regular traveling all over the continent, I notice much more Pentax in Europe than I do in the States...probably 10-15% Pentax here.

About that member map...seems the options are too limited.

Jason