Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's happened here?

Peter Zack moved a thread discussing the BP fudge pictures to a closed forum thereby closing the thread. There was no vulgarity or name calling! Whats the problem?
Adam closed a thread where a member simply wanted to discuss the closing of P&R 10 minutes after it appeared.
Many of our great old members were run off or got fed up and left.
Several of the best debaters and social / political commentators became mods and don't say much of anything anymore.
The new batch of P&R posters can't debate anything without insulting each other, that is not the forum's fault it's the poster's ! If RML and I could argue without calling each other names any civil adult should be able to. So don't close the forum get rid of the posters who can't argue a point without name calling.
Is this new " Daddy's gonna tear down the clubhouse if we don't play nice" attitude the way it's going to be? Is that what everybody wants?
What exactly are we allowed to talk about?
Personally I'm pretty disgusted with the way things have gotten to be.
Anybody else? Am I wrong ? Is it just me?
Daddy or the babysitters will probably close this thread or move it to the closed forum or just delete it pretty quick so post up right away . You should be able to voice your opinion!
Btw If you agree with me on this but can't comment because the thread gets closed , you can let me and "The Central Scrutinizers " know by leaving reputation points!

07-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Peter Zack moved a thread discussing the BP fudge pictures to a closed forum thereby closing the thread. There was no vulgarity or name calling! Whats the problem?
Adam closed a thread where a member simply wanted to discuss the closing of P&R 10 minutes after it appeared.
Many of our great old members were run off or got fed up and left.
Several of the best debaters and social / political commentators became mods and don't say much of anything anymore.
The new batch of P&R posters can't debate anything without insulting each other, that is not the forum's fault it's the poster's ! If RML and I could argue without calling each other names any civil adult should be able to. So don't close the forum get rid of the posters who can't argue a point without name calling.
Is this new " Daddy's gonna tear down the clubhouse if we don't play nice" attitude the way it's going to be? Is that what everybody wants?
What exactly are we allowed to talk about?
Personally I'm pretty disgusted with the way things have gotten to be.
Anybody else? Am I wrong ? Is it just me?
Daddy or the babysitters will probably close this thread or move it to the closed forum or just delete it pretty quick so post up right away . You should be able to voice your opinion!
Btw If you agree with me on this but can't comment because the thread gets closed , you can let me and "The Central Scrutinizers " know by leaving reputation points!
The P&R forum is set to re-open on the 26th. From there, I have to respectfully, disagree. Most threads in that forum degrade to name calling, it's only a matter of time. Many of the "great debaters" are no exception to that. Daddy and the Babysitters? Name calling? Hmmmm.. Even after being asked not to, and warned about what would happen, the kiddies still couldn't get along.

07-24-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You're welcome to voice your opinions privately directly to us at this time- every message gets ready by the staff when sent through the moderator contact form. We're not allowing public debating, however, as it's going to go in circles, just like the recent abuse of the P&R forum.

The forum will re-open on monday as Jeff stated, and, at that point, you'll be free to once again voice your opinions in public. Keep in mind, however, that in the future, the flaming that has gone on in the P&R forum will be subject to a zero-tolerance policy, and we will simply be excluding offenders from the section rather than closing it for everyone to enjoy.
07-24-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

That forum was getting ridiculous. You couldn't voice an opinion because there were more than one member who would severely ramp up the hostility level big time just for stating your position.

Or stating the candidate you support(ed).

It doesn't create discussions about specific issues in a reasonable way. Everything melts down to a hostile Republican versus Democrats argument. I just don't think P&R belongs on a Pentax site.

07-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
That forum was getting ridiculous. You couldn't voice an opinion because there were more than one member who would severely ramp up the hostility level big time just for stating your position.

Or stating the candidate you support(ed).

It doesn't create discussions about specific issues in a reasonable way. Everything melts down to a hostile Republican versus Democrats argument. I just don't think P&R belongs on a Pentax site.
Ira, you are right about it getting ridiculous and the personal attacks and insults that caused the problem, as Adam said above will stop. Under the new rules, if a post that is directly insulting/hostile toward a member (as opposed to an ideology) is reported by a thread participant, an infraction will be issued and depending on time frame of previous infractions the member may be banned from P&R. Insulting/hostile/baiting type posts that are not reported will just be deleted. If, for example, I see post that contains something like "Oh yeah! Well <insert member name here>, you're an idiot" I will delete the entire post. If the post contained pertinent, rational, contributory comments as well; too bad. The bottom line is that if people want to be heard in P&R they will have to be civil. It isn't fair to let a small handful of posters with self-control issues dictate what is discussed.