Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
graphicgr8s

Knocking on doors

A buddy of mine is running for city council. So as part of his campaign he knocks on doors to personally introduce himself to his potential constituents. (Last election he garnered enough votes to cause a runoff. And was less than 100 votes to be in contention)

Anyhow. Tampa PD in all its wisdom wanted to arrest him for solicitation. (They didn't) He asked what he was selling and they said "himself". So is it legal in your area?

07-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My town is pretty corrupt that way--what's good for the goose ISN'T good for the gander.

If you know and are with the right people, you're cool. Otherwise, laws are enforced selectively, and your mileage may vary.

By the way--that's the best thing he can do to get elected. People remember that stuff. The problem is, so few people usually vote in municipal elections in the first place.
07-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From the number of knocks we get on our door, I'd say it must be.
07-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Legal here. I'm not sure how you could make door to door campaigning illegal. It seems there may be some First Amendment issues there. The candidates aren't actually selling themselves. (Not in the door-to-door venue, anyway. They reserve that for meeting rooms, hotels, and phone conversations with corporate and union leaders.)

07-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it's legal for the police anywhere in this country to interfere with election campaigning. As long as he is registered in the campaign as a candidate he should be OK. if he gets hassled he needs to contact the state elections commission or his local party officials (assuming there are any).

Mike
07-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

In a related but inverse subject, I need to find out how to put political causes on the no-call list. There is one group called "Telefund" that is absolutely relentless.
07-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
graphicgr8s

He's waiting on a fax with the "law" he violated. Rather the "law" they said he was violating.

I've known him for 20 years. He's running and if elected he will give his 40,000+ salary right back to the police department and neighborhood crime watch. So he's not in it for the money.

07-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
He's waiting on a fax with the "law" he violated. Rather the "law" they said he was violating.

I've known him for 20 years. He's running and if elected he will give his 40,000+ salary right back to the police department and neighborhood crime watch. So he's not in it for the money.
Wow, your councilors are paid well. Ours don't have the $40k to give back.
07-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Wow, your councilors are paid well. Ours don't have the $40k to give back.
He's an unusual sort. Right now he makes a living selling stuff on E-bay. City councilmen here I believe make 40 grand. Actually a little over.
07-26-2010, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I say let himself get arrested. What better way to get your name out there. Good or bad, people vote for a name they know. That's how Ted Kennedy did it.
07-27-2010, 05:56 AM   #11
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by troglodyte Quote
I say let himself get arrested. What better way to get your name out there. Good or bad, people vote for a name they know. That's how Ted Kennedy did it.
Actually after he left and thought about it he called the City Attorney. He told him what he was doing is legal and if any other officer harasses him to have them call him. Charles is also friends with another prominent Tampa attorney here who also talked to the City attorney. He's within his rights campaigning door to door.
07-27-2010, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

G,
Ya I know he's allowed. It seems though that only criminals ever make it to office. But even so, getting arrested for going door to door isn't as hardcore as drowning your pregnant girlfriend in the car. Tell Charles he needs to step up his game!
07-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by troglodyte Quote
G,
Ya I know he's allowed. It seems though that only criminals ever make it to office. But even so, getting arrested for going door to door isn't as hardcore as drowning your pregnant girlfriend in the car. Tell Charles he needs to step up his game!
Good one!