Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #1

Some people annoy me.

Today at work two guys told me that I was so wrong to spend money on Pentax gear. It was explained to me that they are no good at high ISO.
When I arrived home I set my K20d to ISO 6400 and took this shot of the darkest corner of my office. Seems good enough to me although perhaps I have used too much sharpening. what do you think?

Richard.

07-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm with you, except most, not some, people annoy me.

I would have simply said "Thanks for the unsolicited advice" and then gone on with my life, not concerned with what others think of my choices.
07-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I

I would have simply said "Thanks for the unsolicited advice"
I gotta use that.
07-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moved to General Talk.

And IMO, you can't go wrong with Pentax

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Almost everybody annoys me. Hell is other people. Especially in USA.
Some merely amuse me, like big-zoom-shooters without lens hoods.
Or those shooting the Grand Canyon at noon -- with flash. That helps...
Some bug the sh!t out of me, but I won't go into details, or name names.
And I'm sure I annoy or amuse or polarize others, too. They deserve it.
"Why can't we all just get along?" Ha.
07-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Some people don't annoy me - usually. I call them friends.
07-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #7

The second day i had my camera on hands, a cousin asked me to take pictures in a fashion show. I had read the manual days before but i only had 1 day of practice with the K-x and was lost in the brand new world of DSRL.

The results were all pictures in ISO 6400 and blurry but with good colours. I've only noticed the problem when i zoomed in my computer and saw the noise.

Since then, ISO 800 is my limit, but there are always exceptions ._.

07-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Spencer Quote
Today at work two guys told me that I was so wrong to spend money on Pentax gear. It was explained to me that they are no good at high ISO.
When I arrived home I set my K20d to ISO 6400 and took this shot of the darkest corner of my office. Seems good enough to me although perhaps I have used too much sharpening. what do you think?

Richard.
Tell them to f-off and mind their own business.
07-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Inactive Account

All people annoy me..

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Tell them to f-off and mind their own business.
The best answer yet.

07-27-2010, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tell them you'll be happy to use whatever system they recommend, as long as they pay for it.
07-27-2010, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you witnessed, noob talk
You can tell them JohnBee said that too

I'm reminded of a recent trip we took earlier this summer which involved an underground mine tour. I had the K20D and my wife had a Kx(for video) and the tour consisted of several Canon and Nikon shooters.

Now imagine their faces when the tour guide told them that past the threshold of the doors, that they could not use flash(to hard on the eyes). But I knew this before hand which is why I brought my K20D euiquped with a Katzeye(W/Optibright) and a f/1.4 prime.

So here we are in a pit of darkness the trusty K20D is buffering at 1/140'th ISO3200-6400 under candlelight conditions. It was funny to see the non believers wearing a(sure man sure...) face as I covered the event. But what was even more funny was when we got back to the surface and huddled around to look at the images in the camera

There were some pretty stark faces on that day as people asked to send out photo's to their emails - Yay Pentax
07-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Richard.
i think you misunderstand the limitations of pentax high-iso performance

you took a photo of a well-lit, low-dynamic-range scene, down sampled it and expect a pat on the back?

the K20D sensor has extreamly poor dynamic range at ISO 6400, you can scoot over to DXO and run through some graphs

if you are going to be proud of pentax, be proud of the KX for low light, at least i can hold its own.

the K20D can capture photos at high ISO, but other cameras simply do it better. So really its a matter of how high (or low) your standards are.
07-27-2010, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I feel your pain. I was talking to a photographer about, well, photography All was fine until he asked what I shoot. I replied Pentax K200d (at the time) and he went on a tantrum about how bad pentax is and how canon is teh best zorz ..... getting to point of being a complete jerkoff to me. Than I start coming back to his accusations with facts about Pentax and he just walked away while I was talking

Not the first time I've gotten complete disrespect because of what brand/equipment I shoot. Its canon land here Even my Nikonian buddy is attacked once in a while (though not nearly as frequently as me :ugh: ).
07-27-2010, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #14

That's almost as annoying as "Let's get so and so to take a shot of us. He/she's got a camera that takes good pictures." I almost want to hand it over and say, "Here, you try...since it's just the camera and all."
07-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmwsbabe Quote
That's almost as annoying as "Let's get so and so to take a shot of us. He/she's got a camera that takes good pictures." I almost want to hand it over and say, "Here, you try...since it's just the camera and all."
There's two parts to that, both HUGE pet peeves.

1. The usual "you have a great camera" or "how many MP?" statements after seeing my pictures really get to me sometimes.

2. Because I brought my camera im thrown into lame tourist shots of people duty. I brought my camera FOR ME not for pictures of you. Whenever I go now, I bring a P&S for my sister to take all of those shots. I was bugged constantly for "pictures of me infront of an elephant" etc. shots when I went to the zoo..... I about had it
My DSLR is for artistic high quality shots, not for high F-stop vast DOF shots of people infront of objects. Thats what a P&S is for.