Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

No discussion of the latest Wikileaks leak? Really?

washingtonpost.com

07-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #2

Well there you go deadwolfbones. Very few notice and that's the problem I guess. Still it's a
real databomb. At least it's there for the aware and inquisitive.
07-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's hard to make that fit into ideology, being the problem, there.

I've been on the side of 'Do Afghanistan right as much like it should have been nine years ago, and get out,'

This is just one of those many things that push my own opinion toward 'This was blown long ago, time to go.'

Some jerk from Texas spent our soldiers on BS political slogans. Left too many of them too isolated and too much under fire for too long.

I know what PTSD is. And there's too Godsforsaken much of it among our troops by now for peacekeeping. If Obama's finally-approved surge doesn't work, especially, we just don't have what we need.

Time marched on during the previous administration. Bush spent our mystique long ago, not to mention any goodwill. Not to mention the resources that are our real might.

It's getting on time to go.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-28-2010 at 02:40 PM.
07-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It's hard to make that fit into ideology, being the problem, there.

I've been on the side of 'Do Afghanistan right as much like it should have been nine years ago, and get out,'

This is just one of those many things that push my own opinion toward 'This was blown long ago, time to go.'
You are 100% right. The only thing I would add is that Private Bradley Manning should, at some point during the withdrawal operation, be executed for treason.

07-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You are 100% right. The only thing I would add is that Private Bradley Manning should, at some point during the withdrawal operation, be executed for treason.
Maybe. I haven't been following the People Magazine aspect of this.

But Obama's right: there really is nothing new here.

When I say this means that maybe it's time to go, I just mean that maybe now the hawks will believe it. This is why the timetable, in fact.

Kharzai likes nothing better than having US troops backing his stalling and maneuvering. If what was lost there is to count for anything, what comes next has to be bigger than he.

Immediately.
07-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

What's the big deal here though? Clinton sold oour military secrets to China and he never was arrested for treason. Seems to be a non issue when even a siting president did it.
07-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It's an embarrassment that this latest news is forcing us to face, yet still we avert our eyes.

At some point in time we've got to get out of the business of "nation building". We were never very good at it, and we no longer can afford it. But risky is the world where we are no longer the de-facto military police.

Going forward, we need to re-define our role in international affairs. The current approach is untenable.
07-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't mind putting heat on something if it is going wrong, and I have had concerns since hearing a report 6 or 7 years ago. I think we went in with no plan for the long run.

I don't think this is as simplistic as "all of the work there was wrong". Everything posted according to the web site goes through multiple screening processes so the author cannot be revealed. i.e. "My brother billy bob was handed this paper from john the barber's mechanic's friend in Arizona's pastor's janitor. It says you'll the government bank says you'll get rich if you buy canola."

So I guess everyone is going to buy canola now.....and guess what, the price will go up due to demand.

Guess what, Canadians might die because other nationalities get angry at them from what was posted on the internet. It still doesn't mean the reports are correct.

One of the rare things that brought some humor into a difficult situation when I was a Paramedic was hearing how wrong the news was when reporting an incident. I often need to remind myself of that fact when I watch the news.

I think this mess needs to close, and I certainly don't have all the answers, but I still want us to do the correct thing over the long run as it will be longer if we don't.