Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
Ed in GA

B & H Photo. More praise

What a pleasure it is to do business with B & H Photo.

Last week, I ordered a used MX winder with a condition rating of '9". They had two in stock, the other was rated as "7".

Well, it arriver late Friday and the package and label were marked "MX Winder" but, It was an "ME Winder". When I called them yesterday about the problem, they said "we can exchange it for you." I told them I didn't want the "7" winder. "No Problem, we'll refund your money in total" "You'll get a UPS pick up order tomorrow."

Now, what more can you ask from a company than that.

They're surely at the top of my list.

Ed

08-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've heard many stories about how great their internet and mail order departments are. Unfortunately the brick and mortar sale personnel aren't as good. They know the equipment and their stock but are often quite rude (even by Big Apple standards) I now shop almost exclusively at Adorama where the sales staff is just as knowledgeable and much friendlier.

NaCl(it's too bad that B&H has more Pentax stuff in stock)H2O
08-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Adorama's shipping policies concerning APO/FPO addresses (military personnel, civilian employees, and dependents serving overseas) was more than enough to cause me to shop elsewhere. Their minimum shipping rates to the Army Post Office (APO) just across town (both in New York) is outrageously high. For example, they want more than $70 to ship a small box containing a 55mm filter. Any company treating our military men and women (and family members) this poorly will never get my business. B&H, on the other hand, charges just $7.50 to the same filter to the same address. B&H is a great company, deserving my support.

stewart
08-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
When I called B&H to return my DA*16-50 for a refund, I spoke with a helpful and friendly individual. When my lens got back to them they sent me an email indicating they had recieved it. To this point, returning an item to them is as pleasant and easy as ordering online from them. They said my refund would be credited to me by Wednesday. Assuming it is, they rate an A+!

08-21-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Adorama's shipping policies concerning APO/FPO addresses (military personnel, civilian employees, and dependents serving overseas) was more than enough to cause me to shop elsewhere. Their minimum shipping rates to the Army Post Office (APO) just across town (both in New York) is outrageously high. For example, they want more than $70 to ship a small box containing a 55mm filter. Any company treating our military men and women (and family members) this poorly will never get my business. B&H, on the other hand, charges just $7.50 to the same filter to the same address. B&H is a great company, deserving my support.

stewart
I'm not a big military fan, however I think that's outrageous

That's 1 reason why I don't get items shipped across the border into Canada. I can save a lot of coin with a 15 min drive south.
08-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Adorama's shipping policies concerning APO/FPO addresses... (snip)

Hey, there's some good news of sorts to report here. I just now checked again and Adorama has actually lowered their shipping rates to APO/FPO addresses compared to a couple of months ago. Now that 55mm filter will only cost $37 to ship, while shipping for a Pentax K10D will only cost $54. At the same time, Adorama charges only $136 to ship the inexpensive ($210) Smith-Victor K6RC 3-light tungsten kit.

B&H, on the other hand, has actually raised their shipping cost for the filter to $10 ($9.75), with $21 needed to ship the camera and $37 for the Smith-Victor light kit.

So, even with the rate increase for the filter, B&H is still charges $27 less to ship the filter, $33 less for the camera, and $99 less for the light kit.

Okay, so now I can no longer say Adorama's shipping rates to APO/FPO addresses are outrageously high, just excessively high instead.

Note: All rates based on both companies using Priority Mail to the same address. Items other than camera selected at random based solely on both companies selling same.

stewart
08-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'm not a big military fan, however I think that's outrageous

I'm not a "fan" either, but you should hear the complaints around here. We live near two US military bases and my wife works for the military as a civilian employee, so we have several friends either in the military or working as civilians for the military. Perhaps their number one complaint is the irritating shipping policies of some companies back in the states. And my interest in photography means I most often hear complaints about photo-related companies, with Amazon.com and Adorama easily topping the list.

These military people are here only for a relatively short time (2-5 years) and hence not that familiar with the local economy. Therefore, they depend heavily on purchases made through stores back in the USA. These purchases include favorite foods, multi-voltage electrical items (to use here and upon return back home), English-language merchandise (books, videos, and other entertainment), and more. Because of this, they're extremely frustrated when companies either refuse to ship to APO/FPO addresses (as Amazon.com does with much of it's merchandise) or apply excessive shipping charges when doing so (Adorama).

I've lived most of my adult life outside the USA (same with wife), so tend to adapt more easily to different locations and cultures. That long separation has also made us less attached to things (foods, etc) back in the USA. Therefore, little things like this don't bother us as much. We also tend to do much of our shopping at either local stores or mail-order in this region of the world (B&H is the rare exception). However, all that doesn't make us any less understanding of the frustrations experienced by others here.

stewart