Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Left attacks the left...

I can take it...........
Robert Gibbs Picks A Public Fight With The ‘Professional Left’ - Swampland - TIME.com
QuoteQuote:
Furthermore, there are some on the left who are simply more progressive than the president, and others who differ with the president on exactly what is politically possible. (No matter how many emails I get stating the contrary, I have yet to be convinced that Obama could have passed health care reform with a robust public option.)
My what a fun political spectacle this is turning out to be........
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/10/yelling-at-the-profession_n_677272.html

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-10-2010 at 11:53 AM.
08-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

"I have yet to be convinced that Obama could have passed health care reform with a robust public option."

I remain convinced that as time goes on it will become clear that the main result of Obama's health reform is to give a new lease on life for the present health industry and that further meaningful reform in the future will be made even more difficult because of his "reform".

Rather like those on the Left in the 1950's who criticized FDR for merely saving capitalism rather than really substantially changing the power structure.

Things must change a little so that they may remain the same.

Last edited by wildman; 08-11-2010 at 09:28 AM.
08-11-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hyperbolic Tea Party rhetoric notwithstanding, the truth is that Obama is a centrist liberal, rather to the right of the people who voted for him.
08-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Hyperbolic Tea Party rhetoric notwithstanding, the truth is that Obama is a centrist liberal, rather to the right of the people who voted for him.
Rather to the right of many of the people who voted for him and even more who worked to get him elected. The health plan he advocated as a candidate was not that far off the plan which was passed.

There are many, probably a majority, who support a centrist position. Sometimes I think that both the right and the left just believe too much of the hyperbolic characterization of this president. One side gets ridiculously scared by these expectations and the other gets way too enthusiastic.

Last edited by GeneV; 08-11-2010 at 04:34 PM.
08-11-2010, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

What's often missed is the brilliant bits of Clintonian neo-progressivism. He coopted many rightist / Republican ideas (following the original neocons) in service of some social progressivism. With the help of Republicans in congress (though it played out as a drag out fight) he alone of the recent presidents managed to balance the budget and start to pay off deficits. He understood the need to feed the cash cows (i.e. business) in order to milk them (i.e. fund government). He expanded private lending (i.e. money supply) but this with mixed results, and expanded de-regulation (again mixed results)... In short in many ways as president he was a 'good' traditional Republican of the Rockefeller wing. Perhaps that's why the new Republicans hated him so.

My main hope for Obama was that he'd manage something similar; so far the record and rhetoric is spotty. On the other hand he has managed to pass legistlation Clinton failed at, for better or worse, despite an incredibly difficult political and economic environment.
08-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who says the Obama administration is left? There is no one in the administration who isn't center right. Obama himself is more to the right than Richard Nixon was.

The Political Compass

US Presidential Election 2008

This chart was based on positions taken during the primaries. Today Obama would be much more towards the authoritarian side.

My own position is way down on the lower left.
08-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
What's often missed is the brilliant bits of Clintonian neo-progressivism. He coopted many rightist / Republican ideas (following the original neocons) in service of some social progressivism. With the help of Republicans in congress (though it played out as a drag out fight) he alone of the recent presidents managed to balance the budget and start to pay off deficits. He understood the need to feed the cash cows (i.e. business) in order to milk them (i.e. fund government). He expanded private lending (i.e. money supply) but this with mixed results, and expanded de-regulation (again mixed results)... In short in many ways as president he was a 'good' traditional Republican of the Rockefeller wing. Perhaps that's why the new Republicans hated him so.

My main hope for Obama was that he'd manage something similar; so far the record and rhetoric is spotty. On the other hand he has managed to pass legistlation Clinton failed at, for better or worse, despite an incredibly difficult political and economic environment.
Very well-reasoned post, thanks.
08-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't read at work

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2010/08/no-****-you-robert-gibbs-you-gotta-bet.html

08-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
the link is dead

---------- Post added Aug 11th, 2010 at 14:36 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

Believe it or not there are many republicans that are actually still in the rockefeller camp but we are know as RHINO's to those in the party. I for one have always called myself a Rockefeller Republican which is why I never had an issue with Clinton and hold on to your hats here voted for him in his second term. I know get up off the floor if you can I don't know if we can change the party it may be a long time before we do but there is still some hope that not all of us only use religion as our lithmus test.
08-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Believe it or not there are many republicans that are actually still in the rockefeller camp but we are know as RHINO's to those in the party. I for one have always called myself a Rockefeller Republican which is why I never had an issue with Clinton and hold on to your hats here voted for him in his second term. I know get up off the floor if you can I don't know if we can change the party it may be a long time before we do but there is still some hope that not all of us only use religion as our lithmus test.
By the same token, I voted for Republicans (Charles "Mac" Mathias and Theodore McKeldin) back in the day.
08-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

...while in a confessional mood: I voted for Christine Whitman for Gov of NJ