Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This should be non partisan

About a year ago I read an article about a little girl in New Zealand who won the right to change her name. This case promted a law to protect children from being named ridiculously. The young lady was named Teluhladoesthehulainhawai. There are many satirical lists of "gheto names " on the internet including a whole bunch on youtube. I know of one poor child who's brilliant parents named Shithead with an accent mark pronounced Shi-they-ad. Once saw a grave stone with the name Byrd W. Brane . Can you imagine filling out credit paperwork or a job application?
Recently a friend's soon to be ex wife and her boyfriend had a child and gave it a name that will surely cause the child to be taunted. Out of respect for the poor little guy I'm not going to post his ill conceived(but the parents think are so cool) names here. Even the hospital staff questioned the choice.
What do you guys think, should parents be allowed to give their kids names that will surely cause the kids grief in years to come?
What is the strangest name that you personally know of ? (no urban legends please)

08-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
About a year ago I read an article about a little girl in New Zealand who won the right to change her name. This case promted a law to protect children from being named ridiculously. The young lady was named Teluhladoesthehulainhawai. There are many satirical lists of "gheto names " on the internet including a whole bunch on youtube. I know of one poor child who's brilliant parents named Shithead with an accent mark pronounced Shi-they-ad. Once saw a grave stone with the name Byrd W. Brane . Can you imagine filling out credit paperwork or a job application?
Recently a friend's soon to be ex wife and her boyfriend had a child and gave it a name that will surely cause the child to be taunted. Out of respect for the poor little guy I'm not going to post his ill conceived(but the parents think are so cool) names here. Even the hospital staff questioned the choice.
What do you guys think, should parents be allowed to give their kids names that will surely cause the kids grief in years to come?
What is the strangest name that you personally know of ? (no urban legends please)
No, no law is necessary. Stupid is generally not illegal. We need less lawyers not more.. and this can be easily turned into a complete mess.. Imagine naming your child Satan... And wasn't there an Adolf Hitler just in the news....?
As to names ....
My favorite is this one:
Dick Trickle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh here it is:
Ruling goes against Adolf Hitler parents | j. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California
QuoteQuote:
A New Jersey appeals court ruled last week that parents who named their children Adolf Hitler Campbell, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell cannot have custody of the children.

The court overturned a family court’s decision to return the three children, who had been removed from the Holland Township, N.J., home of their parents, Heath and Deborah Campbell, in January 2009. That followed an incident in which a market refused to print Adolf Hitler Campbell’s full name on a birthday cake.

The appeals court cited the parents’ own disabilities and the risk of serious injury to their children, not their names, the Associated Press reported. Court records show that one parent cannot read, neither is employed, and Deborah Campbell wrote in a letter that her husband had threatened to kill her.
Personally we have enough rabbit holes to fall down.
http://www.411mania.com/politics/columns/148891/Are-All-New-Jersey-Nazis-Unf...se-Two?%29.htm
QuoteQuote:
Are All New Jersey Nazis Unfit Parents? (Or Just These Two?)
08-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with jeffkrol, (did I actually say that? )
besides, you can't legislate intelligence or common sense.
08-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I agree with jeffkrol, (did I actually say that? )
besides, you can't legislate intelligence or common sense.
Woooo-ho...........

08-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I once worked with a LT in the Air Force named "Zip Eddie Duda."

And it was on his ID so it was legit. I ran into him15 years later just before I retired and he was Colonel Zip Eddie Duda... His parents hated him... LOL, but it evidently didn't affect his Air Force career.

Mike

p.s. for the youngsters in the thread... look up "Song of the South" (Disney, 1946)

Last edited by MRRiley; 08-13-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: added ref
08-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah you are all right . Intelligence can't be legislated. I like to think that if natural selection was allowed to work there would be less stupid genes in the world but that's another subject. I really am all for parents rights but some parents make me wonder. No there are no laws nor should there be against giving a kid a stupid name but there are laws against whatever these two were self medicating with when they thought up this kid's name.
I wish I could get the old Johnny Cash song out of my head....Life's not easy for a boy named Sue.
08-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This is absolute truth...There was a kid in my old hometown (in N. GA) named Chewbacca. Not a nickname, a given name.

Jason

08-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Anyone heard anything from Dweezel and Moonunit on this? What about George,George,George,George,
George,George,George,George,George,George,George,and George Foreman?

Have dear sweet friend, her name suggest's "Santy Clause" closely.

Last edited by BillM; 08-13-2010 at 12:04 AM.
08-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #9

I went to school with Mary Christmas and in the dorm at Michigan State we had Ricky Nelson at one end of the hall and Charlie Brown at the other; a Monk and an Abbott in the same room; and a Pope just down the hall. I was stationed in Europe with a Major Minor and later in Texas with Colonel Korn.
08-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
I went to school with Mary Christmas and in the dorm at Michigan State we had Ricky Nelson at one end of the hall and Charlie Brown at the other; a Monk and an Abbott in the same room; and a Pope just down the hall. I was stationed in Europe with a Major Minor and later in Texas with Colonel Korn.
Okay, this sounds like a setup for a joke.
"A Monk, an Abbott, and the Pope walk into a bar..................................
08-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #11

Actually I was the Monk and my roommate was Tommy Abbott. I wanted to name my daughter Abigail (Abbey for short) and my wife was all for it until she realized the relationship. Some day when I open my photography business I am going to call it Abbey Photography and I will be the head Monk at the Abbey!
08-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine would be more like "Abby Normal" photography.
08-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Mine would be more like "Abby Normal" photography.
What hump?
08-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Being a desk clerk in a motel, I've come across some real "winners" in the name game. Here are a few.
A guy from the Netherlands-Pieter Dyck (never would have survived school in the states)
Jack Daniels
John Walker
Coral Bell
George Custer- of course I had to ask and yes, he was the great, great nephew of the guy my ancestors called Yellow Hair.
Edited to add:
I think that parents should consider how cruel kids can be when naming their newborns and don't forget to be sure the initals are ok, too. I had some friends who were going to name their son Aaron Stephen-then realized what that would be when added to their last name-Simpson.
08-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

A side subject

Business can be just as bad....... not sure if all are real though.
BigWordzProject: Really bad web site names