Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

movies about photography

Please post your favorites movies/videos which has something to do with photography. I just saw a part of Ashes and Snow on youtube and it looks pretty good

08-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #2

Fur Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus (2006)
Diane Arbus fictionalisation but good fun.
08-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"Blow-Up" is a famous movie that revolved around a perceived image in a grainy photo. Everything else about the movie is stupid.

Blow-Up (1966)
08-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Eyes of Laura Mars.
Not really a great movie, but Helmut Newton did the still photography and Faye Dunaway is incredibly hot.
Watch carefully the scene in the police interrogation room for the overhead microphone to sneak into the picture for a moment.

08-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Eyes of Laura Mars
IIRC I paid 99¢ to see that one. I overpaid.

Chris
08-14-2010, 12:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I recently watched "shutter" thriller about spirt photography was ok worth a watch, get to see a pentax k10
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIxDl2-qnVs[/YT]
08-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Okay

How about born into brothels and war photographer

08-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IIRC I paid 99¢ to see that one. I overpaid.

Chris
Obviously not a fan of Helmut Newton
08-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I recently watched "shutter" thriller about spirt photography was ok worth a watch, get to see a pentax k10
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIxDl2-qnVs[/YT]
hmm..I've read about this movie, but never find the courage to see it . Don't want to be scared to use my camera
08-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I almost think every movie with good cinematography is also about photography. Learning about photography has certainly made me appreciate cinematography even more, anyway.

I really love Roger Deakins:

I saw a film recently called Everlasting Moments, a movie about a woman who enriches her troubled life with photography, which was a great love poem to the two forms (movies and photography) in their infancy. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, since the director attempted to use specific scenes to replicate the photographic vision from that time. Worth a watch.

As for documentaries, I haven't seen one better than War Photographer so far. That movie is almost required watching, so long as you can stomach the harshness of some of its scenes.

You can see it for free here:

War Photographer | Watch Free Documentary Online
08-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I almost think every movie with good cinematography is also about photography. Learning about photography has certainly made me appreciate cinematography even more, anyway.

If you want to see some delicious cinematography, week out a film by George Romero called Martin.
Martin (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
08-15-2010, 04:37 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Pecker (1998) is one of the best IMHO. Check it out...

08-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Everything else about the movie is stupid.
Nah, it's a classic for good reason.

The story it's based on, by Cortazar, is incredible too.
08-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Not really about photography, but La Jetee by Chris Marker (basis for 12 Monkeys) is a motion picture composed entirely out of photo stills...

The main character in City of God wants to be a newspaper photographer, and photos play an important role in the plot...

One of the main characters in The Killing Fields is a war photographer who fakes a passport to get a guy out of Cambodia...
08-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Not really about photography, but UNDER FIRE (1983) With Nicke Nolte, Gene Hackman, Joanna Cassidy, and Ed Harris, set in Somoza's Nicaragua, revolves around a combat photographer catching on film the murder of a prominent newsman by troops of the currupt dictator, and the ensuing chase for the photographer and especially the film cart.

And of course, films (and videos) about film- (and video-) making are always about photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Not really about photography, but La Jetee by Chris Marker (basis for 12 Monkeys) is a motion picture composed entirely out of photo stills....
If they're photo stills, how can it be a motion picture? I know, if the stills are panned, then it's a movie 'cause the images move. And there are all those historical TV documentaries featuring panning of still images -- photos, art, documents, etc. But I flash back to my childhood, when schools showed filmstrips, timed slideshows with narration and music supplied by synchronized vinyl records. A cheap way to emulate cinema then, eh? So here's a challenge for visual storytellers: make a compelling flick composed only of stills. Let's make this a two-class contest: LIMITED (no planar motion allowed, just fades) and UNLIMITED (pans and zooms permitted). Which class would contain animation no faster than 1 fps?

Last edited by RioRico; 08-15-2010 at 02:36 PM.