Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

If you're an atheist, what would be your second choice?

According to the poll I should be getting 21+ responses.
For me it would be a Yogi. You celebrate your sexual side. People come to you for tidbits of wisdom. The robes are very comfortable. I could keep my long hair. I could meditate everyday and get paid.

---------- Post added 08-14-10 at 10:05 PM ----------

The music is very soothing. Aroma therapy is very soothing. I think jewelry is pretty and I could tell people it gives off special powers to calm my prawna. Yoga is a nice relaxing practice and good form of exercise, all while getting you prepared to

---------- Post added 08-14-10 at 10:10 PM ----------

enter nirvana. The hindu temples have nice architecture and nature themes. I could keep my vegetarianism and not feel guilty about eating an egg because the chicken has to live to lay one. Rather than the vegan notion I'm enslaving it. All in all there

---------- Post added 08-14-10 at 10:11 PM ----------

there could be worse ways to live.

---------- Post added 08-14-10 at 10:42 PM ----------

Also no emo atheist responses either. Like, 'I'd not have a second choice,' or,'I'd rather kill myself than ever admit I'm wrong.' If you're not going to state another valid religion or even a cult, you don't have to participate. This thread is to try and

---------- Post added 08-14-10 at 10:44 PM ----------

show we atheists too know what religion is trying to accomplish but fails, for us. That we understand what morality is and can live a perctly well off life without one.

08-15-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd opt for anarchist but that poll does not provide such an option.
08-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Agnostic would be my second choice, since I waver between the two pretty consistently.
08-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pastafarian. Their heaven has a beer volcano and a stripper factory. Hell is the same as heaven, but the beer is stale and the strippers have vd.

08-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Agnostic would be my second choice, since I waver between the two pretty consistently.
DWB, I submit that if you waver between the two then that is evidence of doubt of the absolute (Atheism). If you have doubt, then you are not in fact wavering, you are by definition, an Agnostic.
08-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
DWB, I submit that if you waver between the two then that is evidence of doubt of the absolute (Atheism). If you have doubt, then you are not in fact wavering, you are by definition, an Agnostic.
Given the current definitions of "atheist" that I have quoted on other threads his wavering may also be because the distinction between the two terms has become muddy.

---------- Post added 08-16-10 at 03:58 PM ----------

If you think about it, this question is a little silly. If you are an atheist, why would you pick any religion?
08-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
gene,
It's not silly. I'm curious about what kind of atheist a person is. Unlike other religions, all an arheist has is their denial of god. Some atheists wish there was a god but are disapointed there is no god. Another here eould be an anarchist. There

---------- Post added 08-16-10 at 02:36 PM ----------

are those who would be communist. If you thre away your atheism, your second choice tells a lot about who you are. By my knowing this I can find out who is a humanitarian, is doing it out of self interest, etc. Athiest tells me nothing. But if you're a

---------- Post added 08-16-10 at 02:39 PM ----------

evangelical christian, republican, watches the 700 club and thinks Pat Robertson has a direct link to Jesus, you'll scare the hell out of me!

08-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm sorry, but that post makes no sense to me at all. I can see a Christian having a first and second choice about denominations, since no group may exactly coincide with one's beliefs. However, if you don't believe there is a god, then asking one to choose among untruths does not seem fruitful.
08-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gene,
Really? I had no idea atheists were too stupid to roleplay and do thought experiments. I guess I'm the odd atheist. Or perhaps I'm not really one. But every once in a while for the hell of it I pretend I'm a islamic, a jew, a branch dividian or any

---------- Post added 08-16-10 at 02:55 PM ----------

type of religious psycho. I them think about how I'd live as one for the rest of my. Sort of how many who are one faith or another and delude themselves into belief out of fear. For me, given the choice I'd be a hindu. Even though I'd not be totally happy

---------- Post added 08-16-10 at 02:58 PM ----------

it's the one closest to my way of thinking if you got rid of the hocus pocus. Like how Thomas Jefferson who didn't believe in christianty but thought what jesus had to say was good minus the miracles. I don't thin that, Jesus as a man would still offer me

---------- Post added 08-16-10 at 02:59 PM ----------

. He'd be like Pat Robertson, Bill O'reily,etc.

---------- Post added 08-16-10 at 03:14 PM ----------

This is supposed to be a fun thread to find out. I have some atheist buddies who believe in ghosts, another who is a rigid science guy who programs. I have this discussion all the time with them.
08-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, I guess I'll let the atheists speak for themselves.
08-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Given the current definitions of "atheist" that I have quoted on other threads his wavering may also be because the distinction between the two terms has become muddy.
Yes sir.
08-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
Forum Member

I would have to go Buddhist as I cannot and will not ever believe there is anything magical controlling the world with a conscience. Close 3rd would def. be Pastafarian as I have been touched by his noodly appendage on many occasions.
08-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Pastafarian. Their heaven has a beer volcano and a stripper factory. Hell is the same as heaven, but the beer is stale and the strippers have vd.
+1

Can we change it so that the heaven has a yuengling volcano and hot stripper factory, while hell has a PBR volcano and an ugly stripper factory? Who wants VD or stale beer?
08-17-2010, 05:22 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
+1

Can we change it so that the heaven has a yuengling volcano and hot stripper factory, while hell has a PBR volcano and an ugly stripper factory? Who wants VD or stale beer?
+2 yuengling w00t!
08-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buddhist.

At least they can eat pork.
Closed Thread