Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Atheism Offers Nothing o_O

Some of you may have seen this before, but it is by far one of my favorite things to send to others who question the path I've taken in life...

(I'm not Richard Caughlan btw)

Atheism offers nothing to me
It never has, and it never will

It doesn’t make me feel good or comfort me
It isn’t there when I’m sick or ill

It cant intervene in my times of need
It cant protect me from hate and lies

It doesn’t care if I fail or succeed
It wont wipe the tears from my eyes

It does nothing when I’ve got nowhere to run
It wont give me wise words or advice

It has no teachings for me to learn
It cant show me whats bad or nice

Its never inspired or incited anyone
It wont help me fulfill all my goals

It wont tell me to stop when I’m enjoying life
Its never saved one single soul

It doesn’t take credit for everything I achieve
It wont make me get down on bended knee

It doesn’t demand that I have to believe
It wont torture me for eternity

It wont teach me to hate or despise others
It cant tell me whats right or wrong

It wont tell anybody they cant be lovers
Its told no one that they don’t belong

It wont make me think that life is worth living
It has nothing to offer me – that’s true

But the reason atheism offers me nothing
Is because I’ve never asked it to

Atheism offers nothing because it doesn’t need to
Religion promises everything because you want it to

You don’t need a religion or to have faith
You just want it because you need to feel safe

I want to feel reality and nothing more
atheism offers me everything that religion had stolen before

-Richard Coughlan

Last edited by mikro; 08-17-2010 at 03:30 PM.
08-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With Certainty

Atheism embraces with full certainty that "there is no god."

Religions embrace with full certainty a spectrum from "there is no god," to "there is one god," to " there are multiple gods." (Hopefully, I did not leave anyone out.)

Logically, all of the above cannot be correct. Most likely, they are all wrong to some degree. The wisest course is to be open to all of the above possibilities and keep seeking.
08-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Where do these random new users come from? I wonder if my Mom learnt how to use internet forums, haha.

Edit: ok, profile photo reveals this is definitely not my Mom.
08-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Cute poem.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikro Quote
Some of you may have seen this before, but it is by far one of my favorite things to send to others who question the path I've taken in life...

Atheism offers nothing to me
It never has, and it never will

It doesn’t make me feel good or comfort me
Feeling of logical superiority
QuoteQuote:
It isn’t there when I’m sick or ill

It cant intervene in my times of need
It cant protect me from hate and lies
Protection from religious zealot hate.
QuoteQuote:

It doesn’t care if I fail or succeed
Instead, validation is pushed on to peers.
QuoteQuote:
It wont wipe the tears from my eyes

It does nothing when I’ve got nowhere to run
It wont give me wise words or advice
Like this?
QuoteQuote:

It has no teachings for me to learn
It cant show me whats bad or nice

Its never inspired or incited anyone
Is this supposed to be good? Religion has inspired great works of art that will never be touched.
QuoteQuote:
It wont help me fulfill all my goals

It wont tell me to stop when I’m enjoying life
Its never saved one single soul

It doesn’t take credit for everything I achieve
Religious people choosing to thank God doesn't quite mean this
QuoteQuote:
It wont make me get down on bended knee

It doesn’t demand that I have to believe
It wont torture me for eternity

It wont teach me to hate or despise others
Yes, this is done through the fault of some teachers (in the same way atheists do), but no religion teaches to hate others.
QuoteQuote:
It cant tell me whats right or wrong

It wont tell anybody they cant be lovers
Its told no one that they don’t belong

It wont make me think that life is worth living
It has nothing to offer me – that’s true

But the reason atheism offers me nothing
Is because I’ve never asked it to

Atheism offers nothing because it doesn’t need to
Religion promises everything because you want it to
Atheism is growing to be quite similar to a religious group, spewing both passion and hate and large meetings.
QuoteQuote:

You don’t need a religion or to have faith
You just want it because you need to feel safe
The belief-in-a-higher-power faculty has survived and evolved as a common part of our brain, that has some worth, doesn't it?
QuoteQuote:

I want to feel reality and nothing more
atheism offers me everything that religion had stolen before

-Richard Coughlan
of the awesome band Caravan??!?

08-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Atheism embraces with full certainty that "there is no god."

Religions embrace with full certainty a spectrum from "there is no god," to "there is one god," to " there are multiple gods." (Hopefully, I did not leave anyone out.)
You left out the "we are gods" crowd... LOL but then maybe they could be considered part of the "many gods" crowd...
08-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote

Yes, this is done through the fault of some teachers (in the same way atheists do), but no religion teaches to hate others.
Sacred books like the Bible and the Koran were written in times were competing tribes had no clear understanding on matters regarding moral conduct and the explanation of natural phenomena. Indeed these books represent their struggles with such topics. Hatred is constant along those books, a closer examination on the books of Leviticus, Exodus and Deuteronomy easily make the case. We can further mention how Allah explicitly commands his followers to slay infidels wherever they find them, until Islam reigns supreme (2:191-193; 4:76; 8:39; 9:123; 47:4; 66:9).

I find interesting, in these recent threads, how people would defend organized religion as though it brings something positive in our societies. The emotional attachment and identity people find in religion supersedes the obvious dangers and fatalities it has brought to the human experience. Amazing.
08-17-2010, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

... and while I don't disagree re. Christianity and Islam ... Both religions at times have also supported and enabled true renaissances in the arts and so on, to our cultural enrichment. I also submit the proposition that in Europe, the evolution of the Christian Church/es cannot be separated from the evolution of our individual sense of self, and all the science and philosophy that now enables people to declare independence of religious dogma.

Sure, the church persecuted scientists etc and suppressed things, but said suppression did have the opposite effect: a little irritation can spur development. The church was not on the 'right' side all the time, yet it is so entwined in everything I can't say it was all bad.

Even today, there are more or less enlightened denominations within Christianity. Painting them all with one brush based on the worst examples goes a bit far.

08-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bombo Quote
Sacred books like the Bible and the Koran were written in times were competing tribes had no clear understanding on matters regarding moral conduct and the explanation of natural phenomena. Indeed these books represent their struggles with such topics. Hatred is constant along those books, a closer examination on the books of Leviticus, Exodus and Deuteronomy easily make the case. We can further mention how Allah explicitly commands his followers to slay infidels wherever they find them, until Islam reigns supreme (2:191-193; 4:76; 8:39; 9:123; 47:4; 66:9).
I talk about current majority teachings and interpretations.
QuoteQuote:

I find interesting, in these recent threads, how people would defend organized religion as though it brings something positive in our societies. The emotional attachment and identity people find in religion supersedes the obvious dangers and fatalities it has brought to the human experience. Amazing.
I am not defending religion or all the horrible things it has caused. I only brought up a different perspective on analyzing this particular poem. Religion isn' going away, it is an inherent faculty in brains that will never be completely overridden, especially the illogical crazies that tend to do the most harm.

As noted above, generalizations, especially based on the outliers, are stupid.

Last edited by Eruditass; 08-17-2010 at 09:54 PM.
08-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Oro

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley:
You left out the "we are gods" crowd... LOL
Remember:

"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"! "
(Ernie Hudson in Ghostbusters, 1984.

Last edited by Oro; 08-21-2010 at 08:42 PM.
08-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bombo Quote
Unfortunately... human history has been plagued with terrible violence either with or without religion in the mix and I think that if we go back far enough, that there simply is no way to avoid the numerous atrocities that plague us.

Having said that, there are plenty of religions that are not bound by violence and bloodshed. And more importantly... the moral standards they promote in our day are both peaceful and beneficial to those seeking to do good by them.

Therefore, I think religion can and has been a very positive thing for a great number of people over the ages.
08-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Johnbee,
The reason all religions are dangerous is they don't want you to question them. It's a way to segregate people. Religion is only another form of bigotry. No matter how inclusive one tries to claim, it's an us versus them. By dividing us we are

---------- Post added 08-21-10 at 09:42 PM ----------

we are made weak. At the same time by having everyone with the same creed, within the group they want, it's easier to control. It's the same with politics which can be used together with religion. Why do you think all religions warm of a doomsday if every

---------- Post added 08-21-10 at 09:47 PM ----------

group actually were to get along. It's to keep it from actually happening! It's also no strange coincidence all religions are the same with just enough difference to make them fight. Question everything is the only way to win.
08-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Toglodyte, as I have made clear, I believe in God, but that post is a perfectly stated reason why I dislike and distrust religion.
08-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troglodyte Quote
The reason all religions are dangerous is they don't want you to question them.
That could be true of a great number of religions. However... since the entire affair seems committed to worshiping God rather than men, I think the principle cause remains a good one.

QuoteQuote:
It's a way to segregate people. Religion is only another form of bigotry. No matter how inclusive one tries to claim, it's an us versus them.
Alas this is true. And I fear there may be no way to circumvent this given our nature.

I once worked with a professor of psychology who who had a rather interesting quote to say on human nature. His take was that so long as humans had a right and left hand to choose from, so then would there be cause for war in society. The thing is... we seem susceptible to indifference and conflict all on our own. And so pitting religion as a cause seems more like a rushed formality than a hard-line fact. One of the biggest contradiction being where religions remain open to anyone and everyone. Having said that, I think its in the rules of engagement(such as with the Christian bible) that we would find the biggest contradiction of all. In which case, the Christian fundamental is found to promotes love, respect and determination to help ones fellow man rather than violence and conflict. And though the application and rejections of such principles all become part of ones faith, the issues remain as A-typical human behavior.

Either way the us vs them is inevitable in a world of choices and free will. There simply is no way to enforce or expect people to move in one direction. Right and left hand choices right?

Last edited by JohnBee; 08-22-2010 at 10:52 AM.
08-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why don't the religious right just bring on Armageddon. If what they believe is true, they have absolutely nothing to lose. why are they so scared of it? the Christians get raptured - even televangelists go to heaven apparently.

My grandmother found the whole idea of heaven abhorrent. A place where you live forever where everything is static, nothing changes. In her opinion is sounded more like hell.

c'mon, bring it!
08-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Why don't the religious right just bring on Armageddon.
Depending on the source and origin, it is most likely because Armageddon is an act of God. Not to mention the illustrations that are associated with the event itself(not very pretty). Either way, I doubt anyone would want to see such a thing take place with their own two eyes.

QuoteQuote:
My grandmother found the whole idea of heaven abhorrent. A place where you live forever where everything is static, nothing changes. In her opinion is sounded more like hell.
I think this is one of the unfortunate issue of world religions, where individuals were either not allowed or encouraged to read the bible for themselves.
The truth is however, that the grand plan for humanity based on Christian doctrine, is the restoration of the original arrangement for humankind: ie. Fill the earth and subdue it.

Therefore the notion or idea that such a thing would either be boring or hell doesn't really follow. Though that isn't to say all religions follow such doctrines, but since you mentioned Christianity, I assumed it was an appropriate mention.

Anyways, I didn't mean to hijack the thread by playing the devils advocate, but I saw your comment after I posted my own and it seemed quite interested.

Last edited by JohnBee; 08-22-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Closed Thread