Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

The Innocence Project: On Being Wrong

The Wrong Stuff : Reasonable Doubt: Innocence Project Co-Founder Peter Neufeld on Being Wrong

Interesting article about the continued fallibility of our justice system. Some pretty crushing stories in there.

08-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know... the thing that bothers me when the police and prosecutors "get it wrong" is that the real criminal gets away with it. I understand that they have to be zealous, but they should also get it right. It'd be different if these types of stories were extremely rare but they are all too common.
08-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Before I spent my days in the legal system, I had a different opinion about capital punishment.
08-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
You know... the thing that bothers me when the police and prosecutors "get it wrong" is that the real criminal gets away with it. I understand that they have to be zealous, but they should also get it right. It'd be different if these types of stories were extremely rare but they are all too common.
Someone who is totally innocent going to jail bothers me more than the guilty getting away with it.
Sometimes it appears that the top priority is to get a conviction. I'm sure they would prefer to convict the actual perpetrator, but often they seem to be willing settle for a bird in the hand, rather than risk not getting a conviction at all.

08-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
... often they seem to be willing settle for a bird in the hand, ...
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdfeW2h8Qo4[/YT]

I hate the commercial but couldn't resist the link...
08-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a shrewd suspicion that the there is some shared responsibility to go around on this subject of innocent convictions.

Every time that a high profile case comes up followed by an arrest the media (live and printed), talk-shows and public opinion involve themselves in the case and each of these commentators tries and convicts the arrested party before any court case takes place. This happens way before jury selection.

I have seen this happen time and time again and I have observed the comedy of "Innocent until PROVEN guilty" play out time and time again.
08-19-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
I have a shrewd suspicion that the there is some shared responsibility to go around on this subject of innocent convictions.

Every time that a high profile case comes up followed by an arrest the media (live and printed), talk-shows and public opinion involve themselves in the case and each of these commentators tries and convicts the arrested party before any court case takes place. This happens way before jury selection.

I have seen this happen time and time again and I have observed the comedy of "Innocent until PROVEN guilty" play out time and time again.
Excellent point. We often blame our elected officials (i.e. the District Attorney) for doing what public opinion supports. How many mobs have lynched the innocent in the blind desire that someone pay for this crime quickly?
08-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Excellent point. We often blame our elected officials (i.e. the District Attorney) for doing what public opinion supports. How many mobs have lynched the innocent in the blind desire that someone pay for this crime quickly?

Just as one can say how many criminals are now walking on the streets because of a techinal violation of a law or a sympathetic judge or jury. There is no such thing as a perfect judical system.

08-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Just as one can say how many criminals are now walking on the streets because of a techinal violation of a law or a sympathetic judge or jury. There is no such thing as a perfect judical system.
What exactly is your point here I wonder?

(Maybe, "Do not worry about miscarriages of justice - there is no such thing as a perfect judicial system. We let criminals off on technicalities every day, so quit worrying me about when it happens the other way around?")