08-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone tired of the mosque "news"

Wonderful op-ed on the whole subject...
What a world..........
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/opinion/22rich.html

QuoteQuote:
Murdoch’s News Corporation, the hypocrisy is, if anything, thicker. A recent Wall Street Journal editorial darkly cited unspecified “reports” that Park51 has “money coming from Saudi charities or Gulf princes that also fund Wahabi madrassas.” As Jon Stewart observed, this brand of innuendo could also be applied to News Corp., whose second largest shareholder after the Murdoch family is a member of the Saudi royal family. Perhaps last week’s revelation that News Corp. has poured $1 million into G.O.P. campaign coffers was a fiendishly clever smokescreen to deflect anyone from following the far greater sum of Saudi money (a $3 billion stake) that has flowed into Murdoch enterprises, or the News Corp. money (at least $70 million) recently invested in a Saudi media company.
QuoteQuote:
Poor General Petraeus. Over the last week he has been ubiquitous in the major newspapers and on television as he pursues a publicity tour to pitch the war he’s inherited. But have you heard any buzz about what he had to say? Any debate? Any anything? No one was listening and no one cared. Everyone was too busy yelling about the mosque.

It’s poignant, really. Even as America’s most venerable soldier returned from the front to valiantly assume the role of Willy Loman, the product he was selling was being discredited and discontinued by his own self-proclaimed allies at home.
AND from the right..........
QuoteQuote:
Libertarian Congressman Ron Paul is breaking with many of his fellow Republicans - among them his son Rand - to support the creation of the planned Islamic cultural center near the former site of the World Trade Center that has come to be known as the "ground zero mosque."

In a statement decrying "demagogy" around the issue, the former Republican presidential candidate wrote late last week that "the debate should have provided the conservative defenders of property rights with a perfect example of how the right to own property also protects the 1st Amendment rights of assembly and religion by supporting the building of the mosque."

"Instead, we hear lip service given to the property rights position while demanding that the need to be 'sensitive' requires an all-out assault on the building of a mosque, several blocks from 'ground zero,'" Paul continues.

He goes on to argue that "the neo-conservatives who demand continual war in the Middle East and Central Asia...never miss a chance to use hatred toward Muslims to rally support for the ill conceived preventative wars."

Adds Paul: "It is repeatedly said that 64% of the people, after listening to the political demagogues, don't want the mosque to be built. What would we do if 75% of the people insist that no more Catholic churches be built in New York City? The point being is that majorities can become oppressors of minority rights as well as individual dictators."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20014453-503544.html

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-23-2010 at 03:36 PM.
08-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #2

Charlie Brooker | 'Ground Zero mosque'? The reality is less provocative | Comment is free | The Guardian
08-23-2010, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Were any of the people, other than the hijaker terrorists (let's call them what they were), Muslim? If so, they should be included in any memorial built. Period.

Every time one of these hot topic issues comes up, I have to wonder, what is REALLY going on and why don't they want us to know about it? By 'They', I mean Both sides of our government.

08-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seems I was "channeling" a couple of old Daily Shows........
August 19, 2010 - Jennifer Aniston - The Daily Show With Jon Stewart - Full Episode Video | Comedy Central
August 19, 2010 - Jennifer Aniston - The Daily Show With Jon Stewart - Full Episode Video | Comedy Central

08-24-2010, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Jeffkrol,
I agree with those who say build the mosque elsewhere. But, that includes all religious buildings with a radius from the height of the lost towers. It's not Islam that brought them down, all religions did. I see no difference in any religion.

---------- Post added 08-24-10 at 12:07 AM ----------

As long as differences in religion exist which would cause death, then nobody gets to play. I say send the message no religion should ever do that shit again. That message should mean banning all religions there, yes even atheist organizations too.
08-24-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm tired of it. I'm tired of the term "Ground Zero Mosque," when neither part of that term is accurate. Though it probably came from a good place, I don't think an Islamic center was a particularly good idea, but it is not some huge insult either. Do we prohibit any Christian church from being located within __ blocks of the Oklahoma federal building, because a nut job who blew it up was obsessed the "Christian Identity" movement of William Pierce's Turner Diaries, especially if the church was founded to debunk the legitimacy of the "Christian Identiy" philosophy?
08-24-2010, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

It's not a mosque. It's a cultural center. It's not ground zero. It's where the Towers collapsed.

08-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
It's not a mosque. It's a cultural center. ..............
I wonder if people of all religions will be welcomed there, or just the followers of The Religion of Peace.
08-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
It's not a mosque. It's a cultural center. It's not ground zero. It's where the Towers collapsed.
Your first pair of sentences is correct. PARK51 .

The last sentence is simply false. The location is two blocks from where the towers collapsed, and the site of the collapse is not even visible from the project.

FWIW, it also is not the only mosque in lower Manhattan.

Last edited by GeneV; 08-24-2010 at 06:26 PM.
08-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Of course then there's this to keep it interesting:
Jonah Goldberg: Caring about Muslims is a hate crime against Real Americans - War Room - Salon.com
08-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Oh my. He and Ann Coulter should get a room.
08-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I wonder if people of all religions will be welcomed there, or just the followers of The Religion of Peace.
Well I guess that because the whole reason for it is to improve inter faith relations that yes, people of all religions would be allowed in.

This stupid 'news' story just shows the insane level of Islamophobia in the world today.

What happened to freedom of religion?
08-25-2010, 04:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hali Quote
Well I guess that because the whole reason for it is to improve inter faith relations that yes, people of all religions would be allowed in.

This stupid 'news' story just shows the insane level of Islamophobia in the world today.

Very good comment!

The "media" and entertainment industry has successfully brainwashed a whole generation (which cannot think for itself), it would appear, into equating Islam with jihad, suicide bombers and Al-qaeda.

I suspect that it is now too late to promote rational thinking and behaviour on this question.
08-25-2010, 05:12 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hali Quote

Good question. We were sent a pretty clear message/reminder on 9/11/01 that there is a large group of people in the world that think only one religion and culture has the right to exist.
08-25-2010, 05:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Good question. We were sent a pretty clear message/reminder on 9/11/01 that there is a large group of people in the world that think only one religion and culture has the right to exist.
Though the religion of that large group of people may actually differ from one another.
Closed Thread