Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

A New Golden Age of Camera Development?

As we all know by now, the only constant is change. And in the world of interchangeable-lens cameras - both DSLR and mirrorless - the pace of change has been accelerating. Progress in sensor technology and image-processing algorythms have meant substantial improvements in performance and image quality for traditional DSLRs. And the unveiling of micro four-thirds by Panasonic and Olympus seems to have finally pushed the other major cameramakers to begin developing and introducing some of the technology they have no-doubt been sitting on for a while.

Just this week, Sony unveiled its SLT A33 and A55 "mirrorless" cameras utilizing a translucent mirror:

Sony SLT-A55 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

While the technology isn't all-new, I'll bet most of us weren't expecting this kind of response to micro four-thirds from Sony.

Now, there are rumors that Olympus may be working on a "mirrorless" camera for regular, full micro four-thirds utilizing another form of translucent technology.

All of this causes me to pause and consider that we may be truly on the threshold of a new golden age of camera development - one that we should not fear and resist as we cling to our classic Takumars. Rather, this is a world we should embrace because it's likely that it will give us everything that virtually everyone on these boards wants.

We've had debates, both friendly and not-so-friendly, in the past about whether Pentax should make a mirrorless camera or a full-frame camera, what is possible with mirrorless cameras given flange distances, and whether EVFs can ever compete with OVFs. I say none of the debates matter because we're likely to eventually get all it all - and I don't mean 10 years form now - even if Pentax isn't the first.

It's clear many of us have been thinking too far inside the box. What we're seeing now is only the very beginning of the next wave of technological advancement. I don't believe for a second that Sony developed its new cameras within a year. This technology has probably been 80-90 percent ready for a while, but Sony was only going to use it when it absolutely needed to. And micro four-thirds forced the issue. For that, we owe Panasonic and Olympus a debt of gratitude.

So I say this is cause for celebration, not fear and angst. If Pentax doesn't give us what we want at Photokina this year, they will have to in the future - at least in terms of camera bodies. And it's likely that most of our old lenses will work of them. If Olympus is working on a "mirrorless" design that can accomodate regular four-thirds lenses, why can't Pentax (or anyone else) give us one that will work with APS-C or full-frame lenses?

Welcome to the 21st century. The revolution has begun.

08-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems to me - this thread is not for Pentax news and rumors
08-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to GT.

Consider me an 'old fart' but mirrorless in this design is not for me. I hate trying to compose and shoot using an LCD no matter how good it is. They are harder to hold steady and IMO you'd never use on with a lens much longer than a 100mm prime. Pressing the DSLR camera against your face gives you an additional steadying point to reduce hand shake.

I see the appeal but make it a high quality rangefinder design and I'd buy in. I don't want an EVF. One thing I really miss from the film days is the VF. So much easier to see a detailed image through. Even in darker conditions. But there's no perfect solution. An EVF would allow better MF focusing and confirmation of AF. A rangefinder would depend on the AF to work since you can't see focusing like you can with a mirror.

What I'd love is a body that has these features and speed, coupled with High ISO's. Where this would work for me is, shooting a wedding in a church. I'd use it only for this because it would be so quiet. For the serious DSLR user and long lens owner, I still think a DSLR is the best camera design and this type of Hybrid is a step backwards. It's more a good step up to a PS shooter or short prime lens street shooter.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 08-24-2010 at 09:50 AM.
08-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Peter, I truly believe with the rate of development we are now experiencing, it is likely you'll get what you want from an EVF before long. How long have the so-called "mirrorless" cameras been on the market? Already, the latest ones aren't really mirrorless - but have non-moveable translucent mirrors that allow the use of phase-detection auto focus. Can a much better EVF be far behind? This is why I am so optimistic.