Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #1

Pentax Rifle Scope

I'm in the market for a 4x rifle scope. Just something to do some .22 target shooting with.

Since I have a few pentax lenses, I am naturally interested to see if the pentax scope measure up to their photo lens counterpart. I also read somewhere that they were made in China.

Anyone own one of these scope like to share their experience?

08-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi hamster, still shoot open sights myself, was looking at spotting scopes for
digi-scoping a couple of months ago and noticed a number of scoping sites
had the sort of info you seem to be after, cant say what, just recall seeing.
08-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aren't Pentax scopes and field glasses pretty high-end?

(I may be wrong there.) It's possible that the niceness of the glass isn't something you need to pay for for target shooting, if so. (Or maybe that'd actually make the experience better, don't really know.)

I've occasionally thought, 'Yeah, if I get to be shopping for nice field glasses or something, maybe I'll look at Pentax.' To a, 'support the brand,' and b) For the entirely frivolous reason that I think the reddish SMC coating like on my FA 50 is pretty to look *at,* not that a lot of those things aren't 'ruby-coated' anyway, and c) So I'm a sharpness fiend about some things.

I don't know about scopes, though, or the merits of each. I doubt I'll need a scoped rifle unless we move to a piece of land backed up to where nearby bunnies and/or deer actually need culling.

I do sometimes wonder about the sporting and hunting products, though: come down to it, any such thing I obtain will probably be whatever used thing works out or a friend upgrades from.

And I'm mostly replying to this thread cause actually sometimes people see my Pentax camera and ask what I know about the sporting optics, which isn't much. I basically say, 'I dunno: I presume the glass is superb?'
08-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Aren't Pentax scopes and field glasses pretty high-end?
Thought same RML, seemed close, price wise, course there are some german and austrian folks
out there that somewhat set standard.

08-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax rifle scopes are pretty middle of the road scopes. I'd probably rank them in line with the bottom half to two thirds of the Nikon scope lineup.

If you are looking for bang for your buck, there are better bargains to be had. If you are looking for quality, there's much better quality to be had. If you are looking for cutting edge features, they are running about 5-10 years behind the curve. At least.

The glass isn't bad for the money, but for the same money, you can get similar quality glass, a better warranty, and all run by a company that understands the market and its customers better than Pentax.
08-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one and it does just fine. I don't think you can get a better one for the same money. Most lower priced scopes are assembled in Asia today and evan the parts for the venerable Leupold are made in China though assembled in the US.
08-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Banned

China makes very good quality optics and anyone who says China only makes junk has no clue about products made today. All Apple computers , iPod, iPad, iPhone etc are made in China. I just purchased the Celestron Regal 100 F-ED 100mm Spotting Scope this year that is made in China and everyone that looks through it says the quality is fantastic.

I compared the view with my Pentax PF-80ED (made in Japan) with both using a 20mm Pentax XW eyepiece and the sharpness, contrast and lack of false color were the same except the 100mm Celestron was brighter in low light.

I also like using my Garrett® Signature 28x110 HD-WP Binoculars that are also made in China.

Garrett® Signature 20x110/28x110 HD-WP Binoculars

08-31-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Celestron Regal 100 F-ED 100mm Spotting Scope
Someones leder-hosen is ridin a little high! Have any pics through it jo?
08-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Someones leder-hosen is ridin a little high! Have any pics through it jo?
I did a quick test with my K-7 in 720p *** mode last winter.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sg_-B7DTHQ[/YT]
08-31-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

thats impressive jo, never expected it to be that sharp. wanted to look at one earlier in year and there were none to be found. was told "takes 2 months"...
came across tammy 360B for less than half, but still, at that reach and price.... wow