Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Banned

Hurricane EARL headed for the NE US !

08-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow- looks like it's advancing quite quickly- doesn't look like it's going to affect much more than the coastal areas, though.
08-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
It looks like it will be the one to watch this week since it is projected to be a major hurricane in about 24 hours.

NYC could be windy by Friday !

Last edited by jogiba; 08-29-2010 at 01:34 PM.
08-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oof, that does look like one to watch out for back home.

08-30-2010, 04:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Could be a good opportunity for our New Yorkers and New Englander's (the region) to show off the weather sealing of their gear!
08-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Do you guys not have hurricane season announcement signs up there? We have 2 basic kinds. 1) how man days until hurricane season; 2) how many days left in hurricane season. Both come with a disclaimer: hurricanes can occur any time of the year.

Stash 10 gallons of drinking water, non perishable food, batteries for flashlight etc. and do it NOW. If yo aren't in a safe place, get to one. Don't wait until the last minute. If you have your own place, do you have a generator? I personally have a pair of Honda 2000 suitcase type generators that are quite and fuel efficient, but safety procedures must be followed and must be in properly ventilated areas away from windows etc.

The best preparations should be done well in advance and not 2 hours before contact by the leading bands.

Good luck and be safe.

Edit: Here is a site I have used for a long time in addition to the usual ones. Their models are pretty good and the keep the actual tracking updated. Plymouth State University. This far out, anyone on the eastern seaboard can get him in the kyster.

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/tropical.html

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/hur_dir/hur_pos_nt2.html

08-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I can't wait!!! Love these storms. I just wish I was back home in Nova Scotia. But if the track is right, New Brunswick will get more of the sea and winds. I just hope PEI gets some of it. If so, you'll see me at the beach. I was out in Hurricane Juan (Hit force 3 and when it made landfall in Halifax a force 2). We lost 1 million trees and had power out for upwards of 2 weeks.

08-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I can't wait!!! Love these storms. I just wish I was back home in Nova Scotia. But if the track is right, New Brunswick will get more of the sea and winds. I just hope PEI gets some of it. If so, you'll see me at the beach. I was out in Hurricane Juan (Hit force 3 and when it made landfall in Halifax a force 2). We lost 1 million trees and had power out for upwards of 2 weeks.
There's nothing to love about them.
08-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Grab the board & crank up the woodie--Surf's up!
08-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Looks like the track's becoming more typical: the way the prevailing winds go, typically this kind of thing gets pushed offshore and only really much affects the coast... Who are in fact pretty used to these things, though it seems it's been a long time since a big hurricane did more than get everyone prepared. But once in a while... Especially the more inland track they were showing earlier, can mean a lot of downed trees and other issues, spawn tornadoes where they're very uncommon, etc.

NYC rarely gets direct hits, though. Boston and the South Shore are usually relatively-protected by the Cape, but you know you're in a hurricane there. Big reason there's seawalls. Apart from the famous Nor'easters.
08-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Looks like the track's becoming more typical: the way the prevailing winds go, typically this kind of thing gets pushed offshore and only really much affects the coast... Who are in fact pretty used to these things, though it seems it's been a long time since a big hurricane did more than get everyone prepared. But once in a while... Especially the more inland track they were showing earlier, can mean a lot of downed trees and other issues, spawn tornadoes where they're very uncommon, etc.

NYC rarely gets direct hits, though. Boston and the South Shore are usually relatively-protected by the Cape, but you know you're in a hurricane there. Big reason there's seawalls. Apart from the famous Nor'easters.
That's the thing about hurricanes:

"Usually" doesn't mean "always," and everything is possible. Plus, a few times every 100 years, there are devastating hurricanes that hit hard where they never usually hit.
08-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Do you guys not have hurricane season announcement signs up there? We have 2 basic kinds. 1) how man days until hurricane season; 2) how many days left in hurricane season. Both come with a disclaimer: hurricanes can occur any time of the year.
Nope, in the Northeast we don't have a 'hurricane season,' we have a season when hurricanes sometimes happen. There are other kinds of storms people prepare for, though, and actually hurricanes, apart from usually not being strong by Floridian standards when they get there, are nonetheless something taken very seriously. For one, scares don't happen often enough to bore people into a false sense of security: between an undercurrent of maritime culture and the fact that when someone says 'hurricane,' people tend to think of things of local legend, not the yearly 'maybe it'll make landfall' season' and the fact that a real hurricane threat is like a *civic event,* there aren't so many problems of people thinking they can ignore it or ride it out. Anyone on the shore knows what winter storms can do and don't screw around.

Water's admittedly not as big a problem because of where it comes from: Storm-related failures of water and sewage mean 'polluted harbor,' not 'It backs up into the Quabbin' or such things. Very little of the water supply depends on pumps and towers: it's almost all gravity: the troubles tend to be on the outgoing end, not the supply end, unless you're on an electric-dependent well: storm drains overtaxing sewage treatment, especially if power goes, etc.

But, like I said, it's kind of an event. People pay attention. Sometimes even go overboard. A few will be like, "Let's go down to the beach house and get drunk!" But I gather one gets that everywhere.
08-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
That's the thing about hurricanes:

"Usually" doesn't mean "always," and everything is possible. Plus, a few times every 100 years, there are devastating hurricanes that hit hard where they never usually hit.
Yeah, that's the thing. In New England, we don't get bored with 'the drill.' Admittedly, it seems it's been a while since something happened to keep us honest that way. But most of us take it very seriously.

I might add, by the way, that what usually pushes these hurricanes offshore is a continent wide weather pattern that's been behaving all kinds of erratic and odd all year. I wouldn't count on 'usual,' either.
08-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

I know about the big one on Long Island--saw a documentary about it.

I'm near the southern tip of Florida (not counting The Keys), and although we take all announcements seriously, we're simply always in the "cone of death" for these things, even when they're way over in the mid-Atlantic. So there's still a bit of a "let's wait and see" attitude.

In 2005, when Wilma hit us big time (after Katrina), we had something like ten--TEN--serious watches up until then that were tracked to possibly hit us. After spending a fortune and running around to stock up at the supermarket and Home Depot, you get battle-weary.

But people still took Wilma seriously and prepared well, because the tracking info is so up to date and you can see it heading right towards you, although nine times out of ten, it turns one way or the other and doesn't hit.

Last edited by Ira; 08-30-2010 at 01:06 PM.
08-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Wherever, whenever it hits, I'm hoping and praying that nobody gets hurt.

I'd love to see some Pentaxian photos from up close, if it's safe to do so. Safety and security are much more important than a couple of images.