Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ezechiel Quote
Is the K5 above or below the K7. Because on older threads and different sites, they all place the K5 between the Kx and K7, and I don't want to downgrade...
I think the K-5 will be a higher model than the K-7 insofar as terms of high ISO, DR and AF are concerned. Though I don't know if it is intended to become the next Pentax flagship camera.

QuoteQuote:
And I hope the AF will have a huge improvement also!
There is good reason to beleive that the K-5 will be using the latest SAFOX-9+ currently used in the 645D camera. Which by the looks of the latest video review has a very impressive AF system. Though there's nothing mentioned on the tracking end of things, it may very well put to rest the long lasting complaints of AF inferiority that has been looming for quite some time now.

09-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
And until REAL people hold the REAL camera in their hands, that's all ANY of the Speculation is.
That's right. And I will be giving it time before I decide anything, waiting for reviews etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
... it may very well put to rest the long lasting complaints of AF inferiority that has been looming for quite some time now.
I think the K-7's AF is pretty fast (though I haven't used other makes), it's just the tracking that lets it down. Other than that I'm astounded at what it will focus on and how fast.
09-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like my K7. It suits my needs more than perfectly. My girlfriend has taken ownership of my K2000, so I do plan to get a second camera. I was going to get the Kx just for the High ISO performance alone, but I am going to hold off to see how the K5 does before I make my decision.
09-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I owned the K10D ... loved it and gave it to my son as a gift, plus a DA 18-250!
I own now the K20D AND the K7 ... love them both actually, and for different reasons.
I use the K20D more often than the K7 under low light conditions when it requires to go ISO 1000-1250 or up.
The K7 AF is, in my own opinion and lots of use, faster and more accurate than that of the K20D. I also like the af-assist lamp ... great little feature.

Now, am I excited about the K5 specs?
I will know more tomorrow, when Pentax releases some official news.
I will maybe get excited when I start seeing shots taken by "real" users, not just by some biased review outfit.

On my priority list for considering an "upgrade" from my K7 to the K5:

1. faster and more accurate AF
2. AF tracking capability (this may never happen, but ... I am hoping)
3. high ISO handling at above 1250-1600.

Then, if those conditions are met, I sure would get excited and would likely upgrade (if that is the right word to use ... never know, Pentax may still have some secret "flagship" model above the not-yet-arrived K5), but not until real tests come out and if the price is suitably interesting.

JP

09-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I skipped the K7. The high ISO handling will be the decision maker for the K-5.
09-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
If I wasn't getting into some sports photography the K-7 would be perfect, but I am. So AF is important to me, and the rumour says slight improvement - damn.
That's unfortunately why I decided to switch - that and the longer focal length lens choices. The improved AF system Pentax has been pushing out is great but I feel Pentax will always be catching up to the competitors in that area.
09-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
That's unfortunately why I decided to switch - that and the longer focal length lens choices. The improved AF system Pentax has been pushing out is great but I feel Pentax will always be catching up to the competitors in that area.
So what have you gone to may I ask?
09-09-2010, 04:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
So what have you gone to may I ask?
I've decided to get the 7D with 70-200 f/2.8 and 400 f/5.6 for now

09-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #24

Not excited at all, to be honest I didn't realise there was a new camera about to be released until earlier this week!

My GX20 is more than enough for me at present and does everything I want (and does it well!) so I will be skipping the K5 as well. I know I'm in the minority, but I really don't like the K7 body and much prefer the chunkier feel of my GX20.

Although I won't be buying it, I do hope it's a big improvement though as I will be buying a future Pentax model and every step forward is a good one!
09-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the K-7 and will probably skip the k-5. I just can't afford it and don't really need it. I really like the K-7...and was able to get it for about $850. I think the K-7 high iso picks can be cleaned up pretty nicely if I ever need to them.
09-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

With the tax return sitting in the bank and a desire to have a second camera body I'll more then likely grab a K5, although I might wait for the first price drop. The expanded ISO range is certainly of interest and I'll assume it has the same maximum shutter speed of the K7.