Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Earthquake in Christchurch NZ

Wow, what a wake up call (in more than one way)! Saturday 4:35am we were hit by a 7.1 earthquake. Although earthquakes can get a lot bigger (and NZ is due for a big one apparently), this was a frightening experience for the family.

We were all fast asleep when there was a bang then sideways / up and down shaking. Lots of loud banging and rattling. Almost immediately the power went off (I knew this because the residual street lighting went out - plunging us into blackness). Bumped around in the dark but we managed to gather the children under one of their solid bunks while the shaking continued in earnest for over a minute. Diminishing shaking continued for many minutes after. Children very upset. Once it settled down we made brief preparations to go up the hill (we are very low to the sea and we had no way of knowing if a Tsunami would occur). This mainly consisted of finding torches / first aid kit in case (where is it???), some jackets / rugs and fumbling around to get the electric garage door open manually (after clearing bikes out of the way that had fallen over). As we later heard on the radio the earthquake was just inland of the city so a Tsunami was very unlikely and it was safe to return home (not that children wanted to!).

We were very lucky, as our house is relatively modern (built to NZ earthquake code), and only had a few cups / ornaments broken here and there, and relatively minor damage to hot water cylinder plumbing. Also fortunately it appears no one was killed in Christchurch. It was lucky that we got power back on about lunch time, although had to shut off water due to plumbing.

Mid morning I went in to inspect our office in town and although our office was Ok, I was surprised at the amount of damage in town. Much of the town was cordoned off and I had to walk quite a few blocks to get there but took my camera with me to take some snaps. There are worse off areas but this gives an idea of some of the damage (note these are not particularly well composed - more snaps really):
Photos of Christchurch earthquake

Anyway the main reason I am writing this, is that this has been quite a wake up call for us (and most friends are saying the same). We should be better prepared for these sort of things because they can and do happen. What if we were without power and water for a week or more? What if someone was injured? How do we contact / check up on extended family members? And so on.
Continued after shakes keep reminding us to improve our plan.

09-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Was shocked to hear thisw news yesterday - glad to hear you are all well - grew up in NZ and spent some time in Japan so I am familiar with the earthquake experience and the plan to have a plan. take care of yourselves!
09-05-2010, 04:31 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to know things are settled well there after the natural phenomenon.
Take care.
09-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. Well we thought we had a plan but its different when it really happens.
Will add some more photos when I get some time.

09-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Good on you Jono, glad all is well. Didn't feel it here in Welly myself. Had a relative in Timaru thrown back onto the bed after standing up!

For more photos see here - Latest photos: 7.1 quake | Stuff.co.nz
09-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

What's really interesting is that this quake was bigger than the recent Haiti quake. NZ had 0 deaths as a direct result of the quake, though someone did die from a heart attack during it. Our building regulations came through.

Fantastic that the stone Cathedral in the square also came through unscathed thanks to recent earthquake strengthening.
09-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are right the earthquake code does work. You can really see the difference between non proofed buildings (many of which are write offs) and proofed buildings.

We were very lucky that it happened at 4:35am (dispite my comments about stumbling around in the dark), otherwise I think fatalities would have happened (just look at the rubble on top of cars etc under down town buildings).

09-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Our building regulations came through
Haiti being in the top 5 most corrupt countries in the world doesn't help building infrastructure. You only have to look at how many people died in the Sichuan, China quake.. same thing no doubt.
09-06-2010, 02:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Alarming to hear about this quake but I'm glad that no one was killed by it.
Good to know that you guys have a building code that really seems to work, the comparison to Haiti appears to highlight that.
Hope the rebuild goes OK for you.
09-06-2010, 03:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm glad that you and your family came through unscathed. Here in Tokyo we have an emergency kit by the front door that includes two backpacks loaded with a change of clothes and a variety of gear including a 15um filter bottle. I'm also the warden for the Canadians living in the city. I note your problems sticking to your plan, that's good to be ready for. So to speak.

Having been to Christchurch some tens years back I'm glad to see that the city withstood the incident.
09-06-2010, 04:57 AM   #11
Banned

Take care of yourself, guys!
09-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I'm glad that you and your family came through unscathed. Here in Tokyo we have an emergency kit by the front door that includes two backpacks loaded with a change of clothes and a variety of gear including a 15um filter bottle. I'm also the warden for the Canadians living in the city. I note your problems sticking to your plan, that's good to be ready for. So to speak.

Having been to Christchurch some tens years back I'm glad to see that the city withstood the incident.
Emergency kit is good, but too bad if you can't get to your front door! Maybe one at your front door and one at your back door may be better?
09-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you guys from New Zealand are OK. Earthquakes can be terrifying, even more so in the dark. Having small children makes it worse.

Just be ready for the aftershocks. They will go on for months. Each one will bring an instant of terror until you realize that it is not another big one. Help the kids understand that. It helps a little. It lessened the fear a LITTLE bit for my four year old.

I know what you are going thru. I lived about 2KM from the epicenter of '94 Northridge quake and very close to the epicenter of the '71 San Fernando quake.

Hang in there,
09-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Best picture I've seen so far:
09-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #15
Banned

Arpe, oh, what is that???!