Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A $98 Pentax Paperweight

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Yep, it's another ebay WTF thread.

Pentax Spotmatic-Vintage 35mm SLR camera-Project - eBay (item 290473488743 end time Sep-18-10 17:25:29 PDT)

I have to wonder, and have for years, what the people are smoking who pay the prices this outfit asks. I have a strong belief that everyone in hollyweird is stoned, drunk, crazy, or all three but what about the people who buy from them. Once in awhile I do see something that might be reasonably priced (fair market) but it's rare.

09-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

They don't charge for unsold listings?

Geeze that would have made a lot of things easier, I hate craigslist even though it's effective
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, i've completely given up on trying to understand, actually I DO understand, but I do not care about these idiots any more that try to sell things 2-5x the market value. These greedy idiots know that there are some brain-less idiots out there that will pay outrageous prices because they do not know the current market value and do not know how shop around.

I saw a 18-55 DAL used for over a year and the seller was trying to get $100 for it.

Oh well, there will always be people dumb enough to buy at these prices and therefore there will always be people greedy enough to sell at these prices.

Edited after browsing the marketplace
**Actually what really bothers my is people on here trying to sell items at way over the market value. I won't site specific examples but I have seen some items that should be about low 200s trying to be sold at almost 2x as much.

Last edited by KxBlaze; 09-08-2010 at 10:21 PM.
09-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
A $98 Pentax Paperweight ...
Looks like that $98 paperweight just got halved in price to $49.

I guess as long as there are suckers with money, there will be high-priced sellers willing to take that money. Even here on the MarketPlace.

09-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Yep, it's another ebay WTF thread.

Pentax Spotmatic-Vintage 35mm SLR camera-Project - eBay (item 290473488743 end time Sep-18-10 17:25:29 PDT)

I have to wonder, and have for years, what the people are smoking who pay the prices this outfit asks. I have a strong belief that everyone in hollyweird is stoned, drunk, crazy, or all three but what about the people who buy from them. Once in awhile I do see something that might be reasonably priced (fair market) but it's rare.

So I'm not the only one that has noticed this seller has ridiculously high starting prices. I have several movie cameras and when browsing the listings, theirs always stand out. I tried to look and see if people were actually paying those prices, but most of their feedback is private.
09-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
So I'm not the only one that has noticed this seller has ridiculously high starting prices. I have several movie cameras and when browsing the listings, theirs always stand out. I tried to look and see if people were actually paying those prices, but most of their feedback is private.
Their prices are typically 2-3 times any going rate. Even for a 'Parts' Spotmatic F, parts cameras can be had for $20 or less most times on ebay. Hell, I have one that Works over in the marketplace I don't seem to be able to Give away (practically), With a case!

I guess the feedback is private (speculation on my part) to save their customers the embarrassment. There's one born every minute, apparently they all have money to burn, and they all buy from this outfit and others like them.

09-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm now selling some fine (and likely some not-so-fine) glass on eBay [ID: r*m] and I always start at less than US$1. I upload one photo (a mosaic of four shots) and add no 'features' so my insertion fee is zero. So far, everything sells. And I'm just about breaking even, but at least I'm getting rid of stuff I don't use or want.

So why the high starting prices? I suspect some such listings are from favoured sellers who aren't charged insertion fees for continuous re-listings -- and many such ARE re-listed over-and-over, as we've seen with some jewelry and craft pieces. Others are priced high because sometime, somewhere, is a buyer who wants EXACTLY THAT THING and RIGHT NOW, and will pay for it. And others... well, a savant once said that "Nobody ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of... people", which another savant condensed to, "THERE'S A SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE".

(Shall I admit that sometime *I* am that sucker? Well, it happens...)

09-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just bought a WORKING ES II body for $31 including shipping....it's in decent shape too !!
09-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I just bought a WORKING ES II body for $31 including shipping....it's in decent shape too !!
I'll bet it wasn't a 'parts' camera either..

09-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Haha, nope, but it was sold "AS IS" And so far so good , I ran a roll of film through it yesterday, and all in all, I am pretty pleased with it..
09-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I hate to barge in but I was checking Craigslist yesterday and found this one....a bit too much for what it is.

Pentax ZX-5 Camera and gear
09-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Haha, nope, but it was sold "AS IS" And so far so good , I ran a roll of film through it yesterday, and all in all, I am pretty pleased with it..
Looking forward to seeing some scans from that 'Full Frame' camera

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I hate to barge in but I was checking Craigslist yesterday and found this one....a bit too much for what it is.

Pentax ZX-5 Camera and gear
I've seen a few of those too, even on the bay. People hoping to get their original investment out of the gear. It Does say Or Best Offer. Personally I Might go $100 for the lot, just to part it out and resell it.

PS.. Don't worry about barging in.. I never meant this to be exclusively an ebay seller bashing post. Actually I was wondering more about the mentality of the people (buyers) who keep that company going on ebay. If we want to turn this into a what are they thinking thread, I'm all for it.

09-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree with all you have said. I wonder what people are thinking when they buy overpriced cameras and equipment. Mostly, though, I think it's because they don't know prices of the cameras and equipment.

I priced my MZ-5 on KEH and they only wanted to give me $40. Probably the only one higher priced in that post on Craig's is the 100-300 Pentax lens.
09-21-2010, 04:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Here you go Jeff ! Asahi Pentax ES II - a set on Flickr
09-21-2010, 05:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Over pricing to lollipops

P.T. Barnum was a wise man.

Mickey