Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Burning of the Koran ... ! Why? Why? Why?

September 11 2010 might become another very sad day ... someone out there wants to burn the Koran in public.

and sad to see this making the national and international news.

Sad because this again shows how just a small group can open a Pandora's box.

I myself might have opened a "can of worm" by posting this but, frankly, this sort of news really saddens me.

If the moderators believe this to be too much of a delicate matter to post, please delete the thread and there will be no harm done.

I guess all I want to know is: is this necessary? Will it change anything?

Your honest opinions would be welcome.

... and, no! I am not a religious fanatic of any kind.

Cheers to all and peace to all.

JP

09-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
September 11 2010 might become another very sad day ... someone out there wants to burn the Koran in public.
Can't say that I'm surprised.
TBH, it takes a very special kind of person to act out like this and I'm just glad I'm not one of them
09-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think EVERYONE should stop taking themselves so seriously...........
Intolerent bigots vs superstitious zealots........ sad.
Not that I condone it (personally it's rude,stupid, and contrary to any of my beliefs) he's not burning Moslems...... or beheading them.......
More pots calling the kettle black.
09-09-2010, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Because minds can be narrow and hearts can be dark.

09-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Because minds can be narrow and hearts can be dark.

Great comment

-Nass
09-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I think one person had an idea in response to that: he started a "thread" on Facebook, reading: "Respect the Bible" ... the fellow is muslim.

And then I read that this whole thing might have been called off by Mr Jones himself ... go figure!

But, of course, he (Jones) opened his own can of worms doing that.

JP
09-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The pastor of a small US church who planned to burn copies of the Koran on the anniversary of 9/11 has cancelled his protest.

Terry Jones said he was calling off the event after the group behind a planned Islamic centre near Ground Zero in New York agreed to relocate it.

But the cultural centre's organisers said they had no plans to move it.

Mr Jones' plan had been internationally condemned and had already sparked many protests around the world.

Mr Jones, pastor of the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, which has fewer than 50 members, had named Saturday International Burn a Koran Day.

But at a news conference, he said he would now travel to New York on Saturday to meet those behind the Islamic centre and discuss its relocation.
BBC News - US pastor Terry Jones cancels Koran burning
Well just see how this plays out..............
QuoteQuote:
The imam Feisal Abdul Rauf said on Wednesday night that if he had known how much strife would arise over his plan for a Muslim community center and mosque two blocks from the World Trade Center site, he would not have proposed it.
“If I knew that this would happen, that this would cause this kind of pain, I wouldn’t have done it,” the imam told Soledad O’Brien on “Larry King Live” on CNN in his first extensive televised remarks since the controversy ballooned after the project cleared its last legal hurdle last month. “My life has been devoted to peacemaking.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/09/nyregion/09mosque.html
09-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Jones got what he wants. We all know the name of an obscure pastor whose last church asked him to leave.

09-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

latest news the Donald has offered the developer 25% more than he payed for the building to put an end to the whole fiasco. Now is really should get interesting since now they will really have to defend the choice to build there and to turn down a 25% profit for a couple of months owership of a building.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/09/new.york.trump.community.center/index.html?hpt=T1
09-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe with all the intended publicity he's received, he can sell the books on ebay for a nice profit.

His company: eBay My World - tsandcompany
09-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Maybe with all the intended publicity he's received, he can sell the books on ebay for a nice profit.

His company: eBay My World - tsandcompany
Someone would probably pay him a premium for the actual books he was intending to burn.
09-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #12

First let me say, I think the man is nuts and his sole intention was to bring publicity to himself.

I also believe that he has a right to protest as long as it is in a legal manner.

I don't condone his motives or his actions.
There have been many groups over the years, whose beliefs have gone against the majority, who have been allowed to protest.
People like him only think of their own beliefs and do not consider how their actions effect others.
09-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't have anything particularly charitable to say about Pastor Jones . His actions are far from being Christian but are within his rights as a citizen of the U.S.
The whole ordeal does however once again bring light to a situation that particularly bothers me.
Think about some headlines from the past and present;

GENERAL URGES FL MINISTER TO RECONSIDER KORAN BURNING FOR FEAR OF REPRISALS BY MUSLIM EXTREMISTS

COMEDY CENTRAL NETWORK CENSORS EPISODE OF SOUTH PARK FOR FEAR OF ISLAMIC DEATH THREATS

AUTHOR HIDING IN FEAR - MUSLIM CLERIC CALLS FOR HIS DEATH

U.S. PRESIDENT AND SECRETARY OF STATE URGE MINISTER TO RECONSIDER FOR FEAR OF WORLD WIDE ISLAMIC REACTION

NY IMAN FEARS MOVING PLANNED MOSQUE WILL CAUSE VIOLENT REACTIONS .

Anybody seeing a common thread here?
Look up the definitions of fear and terror and ask yourself who is winning the "War on Terror"
If Islam is truely a religion of peace why is it associated with so much fear and violence?
Am I condemming Islam - no ! Am I condemming the actions of men who murder and terrorize in the name of Islam - you betcha.
09-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Anybody seeing a common thread here?
Look up the definitions of fear and terror and ask yourself who is winning the "War on Terror"
If Islam is truely a religion of peace why is it associated with so much fear and violence?
Am I condemming Islam - no ! Am I condemming the actions of men who murder and terrorize in the name of Islam - you betcha.
Fear and terror are horrific as unwarranted circumstances.

However... are we still free to such claims with the loom of deliberate attacks on other peoples faith and well being?

I'm reminded of the era where white supremacists oppressed the blacks to the point of retaliation only to turn around and point to the consequences as proof of their violent tendencies.

Burning other peoples books and mocking their gods is no different than burning a cross on someones lawn imo. And here we thought we've made social progress as a nation...
09-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

What Gene said. The "pastor" got what he wanted, world wide recognition. A big stunt for a podunk pastor in the woods with a congregation of 30 or so. What a crazy train things are becoming.

So if you need free press from here on out just say you will be burning some holy books so you can sell your ship. Who is next?
Closed Thread