Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
By the way, Ms. Sainz' bio is interesting. She is no bimbo. If I am reading it correctly, she has masters' degrees in law and business, and was an athlete in college. She has been a sportscaster 10 years, and she and her husband now own a production company for sports broadcasting. If that is not enough, she has also earned a black belt in Taekwondo. Perhaps that is how she is in her 30s, has three kids and kept that smokin' body. This is someone with brains and discipline.

She has also downplayed the incident, saying she was not offended, but that another reporter was the source of the story. Ms. Sainz appears to be a smart, accomplished businesswoman, and I doubt she really wanted to jeopardize her access in the future by playing a victim. I would see this as more an example of the media running away with a story that means nothing.

Last edited by GeneV; 09-15-2010 at 09:01 PM.
09-16-2010, 12:02 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
THANK YOU! That was the whole point I was trying to make.
No problem. Apple product launches are the very worse for this - the media seem to fail to realise that they're basically doing advertising for Apple, and that's not the point of news.

That Jones idiot is double-edged sword, though. It's clear that he was shamelessly pursuing publicity, but to not report it could've easily been twisted to mean "America is perfectly OK with burning Korans," and to report it is simply playing into his hands. Thankfully, it was tempered with plenty of people from many different backgrounds saying, basically, "Guy's an idiot."

Unfortunately, a lot of news is turning from "What people need to know," to "What people want to hear about," because that results in better rating for less work and less repercussions. Reporting on the new iWhatever is not as hard nor as dangerous as, say, investigating organised crime. Besides, those Apple product launches are probably catered. Bikie hideouts tend not to be.

There was talk of adding media studies to the school curriculum down here a while back. It's a good idea, because with something as pervasive as media in this day and age, we need to become savvy consumers of it. I'm sure one of our two (that's right, folks - count 'em: two) media conglomerates pulled some strings to get it withdrawn, though. Hell, there's got to be some sort of institute that ranks these things, right? About how hard the journalism is of certain programs or publications.

We do have Media Watch, thank god.
09-16-2010, 05:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
No problem. Apple product launches are the very worse for this - the media seem to fail to realise that they're basically doing advertising for Apple, and that's not the point of news.

That Jones idiot is double-edged sword, though. It's clear that he was shamelessly pursuing publicity, but to not report it could've easily been twisted to mean "America is perfectly OK with burning Korans," and to report it is simply playing into his hands. Thankfully, it was tempered with plenty of people from many different backgrounds saying, basically, "Guy's an idiot."

Unfortunately, a lot of news is turning from "What people need to know," to "What people want to hear about," because that results in better rating for less work and less repercussions. Reporting on the new iWhatever is not as hard nor as dangerous as, say, investigating organised crime. Besides, those Apple product launches are probably catered. Bikie hideouts tend not to be.

There was talk of adding media studies to the school curriculum down here a while back. It's a good idea, because with something as pervasive as media in this day and age, we need to become savvy consumers of it. I'm sure one of our two (that's right, folks - count 'em: two) media conglomerates pulled some strings to get it withdrawn, though. Hell, there's got to be some sort of institute that ranks these things, right? About how hard the journalism is of certain programs or publications.

We do have Media Watch, thank god.
Which Media Watch? A quick Google lists about a dozen. (I had originally put links to all of them in this post, before Windows decided to update itself and discard my post) In addition, there is Media Research and Media Matters. All have differing views.

The main bias of the media is to make money. If one keeps that in mind, it is easy to see how these stories are blown out of porportion.
09-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Which Media Watch?
The Australian one (on the government-run channel ABC - which actually has the least biased, most professional news of the lot.) The one with the biting sarcasm: Media Watch (ABC TV)

Best bit? One of my old university tutors turned up on it while I was at uni.

09-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

In the latest round, Ms. Sainz is taking on the Association for Women in Sports Media for making a big deal of the events in the Jets locker room:

"Today I wonder why a well respected association such as the AWSM, within its right to inform about any violations of work conditions for its members, acted so impulsively,"

She also writes that it and the media set back the women's rights movement by "at least 50 years."
09-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cap'n, If I might aid and abet.

FM heels
less than 6 inches qualify as "FM pumps"
09-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Those were boots below her jeans, in case anyone cares. I'm sure no one would have noticed her at all if she had just worn cowboy boots with a couple of inches less heel.

Last edited by GeneV; 09-23-2010 at 06:20 AM.
09-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Cap'n, If I might aid and abet.

less than 6 inches qualify as "FM pumps"
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Those were boots below her jeans, in case anyone cares. I'm sure no one would have noticed her at all if she had just worn cowboy boots with a couple of inches less heel.
Well I'm no fashion consultant but one of the fine young ladies I dated back in the day had a pair (of boots) very simillar those and she called them her" Knock me down FM boots"
09-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Well I'm no fashion consultant but one of the fine young ladies I dated back in the day had a pair (of boots) very simillar those and she called them her" Knock me down FM boots"
I can't comment on what your date was up to with that comment, but those look similar to some mules my wife has. I guess I'll have to try that on her.

Last edited by GeneV; 09-23-2010 at 04:23 PM.
09-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Sure puts a new spin on old nancy sinatra ditty