Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
Nowadays they seem to be aiming for an image of fun rather than respect. The coloured bodies and lenses, the emphasis on P&S shooting modes, even the support for AA batteries suggests they are cameras for people who prefer style over function. Are marketing really bad at their job, or are they just aiming for a different market segment? If you really want your camera to stand out, get a red one.

Um, no? I chose my camera based on the reviews and features, not name.
From the above it seems to me you choose the camera from color.
There's nothing sugesting that Pentax is making camera with style over function as their cameras functionally are among the best in their price ranges. This is supported by numerous tests that praise their performance and ergonomics.

09-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I'm a little upset. It seems that Pentax gets no respect compared to Nikon and Canon. Most of the "how to" books seem to concentrate on those two brands.
I am not sure what's so upset about it. Those books offered little in substance and destroyed more trees then they are worth. I don't give a xxxx if people put me down because of the camera I use. I just shoot my pictures. Did you say 20 years? I wonder how you survived.
09-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #33

I've been using Pentax cameras and glass since 1980, that's a fairly long time, of course when I find something that works for me ... I generally stick with it

Last edited by ddula; 09-16-2010 at 06:53 PM.
09-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I chose Pentax because of the glass, not the reputation.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Nice Riviera, is it from 63-65 or 66-70?
1966. First year of that body, last year of that motor. And, thank you for being one of the very few that actually know what it is, plus the generations of the car.

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The "clunk" you feel when you tilt your camera side to side is the snensor and the SR mechanism moving. It's normal, and your camera is not defective...

Sorry, what was the question again?
HAHAHA!

09-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
From the above it seems to me you choose the camera from color.
Nope. Mine is black.

QuoteQuote:
There's nothing sugesting that Pentax is making camera with style over function as their cameras functionally are among the best in their price ranges.
That they are available in different colours is enough to suggest that Pentax are style-conscious. You and I know that they haven't sacrificed performance or functionality, but I think a lot of non-users don't get that. They assume anything so pretty doesn't need to perform well. (Some people have the same prejudice about pretty women.) They are wrong, but their mistake is common.

QuoteQuote:
This is supported by numerous tests that praise their performance and ergonomics.
I'm not arguing. As I said, such praise is part of why I picked the K-x.
09-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Here's an interesting little anecdote from a week ago.
I was at the Hills Garlic Festival last Sunday. The weather was relatively foul, with a continuous light drizzle coming down. I was wandering around the grounds with my K-7 and a few DA Limited lenses. I was taking absolutely no precautions with the camera, I had it hanging from my neck tourist style.
It was very wet, very quickly. I encountered a person with a Nikon strap visible, but no camera showing from below her jacket. She asked me if I wasn't worried about wrecking my camera.
I told her no, it's a Pentax and it's weathertight. She said she wouldn't dare do with her Nikon what I was doing with my Pentax. I said that Pentax seemed to be making cameras for people who like to be outdoors regardless of the weather and we parted ways.
I do wonder if she'll look at the brand now.
09-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Here's an interesting little anecdote from a week ago.
I was at the Hills Garlic Festival last Sunday. The weather was relatively foul, with a continuous light drizzle coming down. I was wandering around the grounds with my K-7 and a few DA Limited lenses. I was taking absolutely no precautions with the camera, I had it hanging from my neck tourist style.
It was very wet, very quickly. I encountered a person with a Nikon strap visible, but no camera showing from below her jacket. She asked me if I wasn't worried about wrecking my camera.
I told her no, it's a Pentax and it's weathertight. She said she wouldn't dare do with her Nikon what I was doing with my Pentax. I said that Pentax seemed to be making cameras for people who like to be outdoors regardless of the weather and we parted ways.
I do wonder if she'll look at the brand now.
She'll ask her friends. They will laugh and tell her how Nikon is super superior and that will be that.
09-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #38
Veteran Member

To be fair not all Pentax gears are sealed. Get a grip.

09-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #39
Veteran Member

At the end of the day...does it really matter what other people think...or say?
I know for me it doesn't.
My respect is shown and proven in the photos I take and that is all that matters.
Get used to it??? Why even bother with it is what I say!
09-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
To be precise, I never said all Pentax gear was sealed, just that I had a Pentax and that it was weather sealed.
Learn to read.
09-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
To be precise, I never said all Pentax gear was sealed, just that I had a Pentax and that it was weather sealed.
Learn to read.
Actually I did. You said, "I said that Pentax seemed to be making cameras for people who like to be outdoors regardless of the weather and we parted ways." By this you were implying either all or the majority of Pentax gears were weather-sealed. If not, Nikon have weather-sealed gears too so...
09-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Actually I did. You said, "I said that Pentax seemed to be making cameras for people who like to be outdoors regardless of the weather and we parted ways." By this you were implying either all or the majority of Pentax gears were weather-sealed. If not, Nikon have weather-sealed gears too so...
Utter crap. You are reading what isn't there.
What I said was that Pentax seems to be making cameras for people who like to be outdoors regardless of the weather.
The K-7 is such a camera. There was no implication beyond that, no matter what your addled brain may want to think.

If I said that Ford seemed to be making vehicles for people who want to pull heavy loads, would you presume that I was saying that their entire product line was heavy duty trucks or would you have the smarts to look at the F350?
09-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not all of the grips are sealed either.
09-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Wow...I feel the door slowly closing on this thread by reading the above posts.
09-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was only joking. Hence, the