Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
If I see thousands of people walking THAT way, I tend reflexively to walk in the other direction.
That really made me lol! I'm a bit that way, but not such a sad case as you I am constantly eyeing up the Canon 7D and Nikon D300s which are probably better for my purposes, but I really have a gut reaction to "joining the crowd".

Definitely no cure I'm sorry.

09-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I was at a large carshow this weekend. Someone passing me said "Finally, someone who isn't using Canon or Nikon".

You should get over it, as this subject has been done to death :-)
I was at a small Ferrari show Sunday afternoon, and saw a guy with a K7. I showed him it's Grandpa, my Spotmatic SP II. It was cool to see another Pentaxian out in the wild....
09-15-2010, 12:44 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
. I have a masters degree in poetry. I performed medieval and baroque music for years (harpsichord and organ). I have read Beowulf in Anglo-Saxon (a.k.a. Old English) and I taught Latin and Greek for twenty years.

I keep thinking seriously of moving my computers to Linux.

Will
Wow, thats seriously deserving of respect.
You won't regret moving to Linux. Did that 10 years ago and I am still glad.
09-15-2010, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I'm a little upset. It seems that Pentax gets no respect compared to Nikon and Canon. Most of the "how to" books seem to concentrate on those two brands. My personal opinion is that Pentax matches their quality and does it with more bang for the buck.

One big advantage, and I've been a Pentax user for over 20 years, is the ability of the modern cameras to use glass from years past. This has been a big savings to me in recent years. I don't see this with other brands.

It's high time Pentax shucked its Rodney Dangerfield image among the camera snobs.

John
I disagree with your premise. Respect must be earned. In the past, Pentax was worthy of that respect. Apparently both of us remember those days fondly. The "modern" Pentax, is not the one we remember from old...The new Pentax unfortunately, is behind technologically, as well as in QC in my opinion. Even our old mantra of "best camera for the dollar" does not ring true any longer if you compare cost/benefit of each system.

In regards to use of old glass; sure that is a feature of new Pentax DSLR's. But Nikon can also make that claim. Canon can also make that claim (to a lesser extent.) All EOS lenses are compatible with new Canon DSLR's. That is every lens made back to 1987...23 years. Are there that many folks out there that are basing a camera decision on lenses that are older than two decades? Backwards compatibility is a dying niche, populated by a diminishing number of enthusiasts.

What will earn my respect back, is if Pentax starts competing not based on colorful cameras, but on quality, cost, and technology on par with the competition.

09-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
Welcome to the wonderful world of "the other brand". I went to a photographer/model mixer this past Sunday. Someone asked me what brand camera I have. I said "Pentax". They responded... "Wow, you still shooting film?"

Get used to it.

I believe that there is a degree of brand "snobbery" - how many people choose their camera based on the name rather than image quality, etc..?
09-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NRM7000 Quote
I believe that there is a degree of brand "snobbery" - how many people choose their camera based on the name rather than image quality, etc..?
aren't we to the same extent doing just that?
09-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote

Yep, I guess so.

09-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Try driving a 1960's Buick in a world full of Camaro's and Mustangs. At least people recognize a Pentax when they see one. Nobody knows what my car is when they see it. My car has been called everything but a Buick. I even had one guy argue with me that my car was a Chrysler and his dad had one just like it.

09-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Yeah but the flipside is also true - I don't automatically respect someone who has a fast lens and a fast camera from a well known brand. All that actually matters is the end result. Couldn't care less what they use - if they do something magnificent with the most expensive, best gear I'm personally less impressed than if they do something magnificent with crap gear. Gear - I couldn't give a damm . Brand is irrellevant. I think we're here to take photos. I neither expect nor give respect based on "stuff".
09-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The accountant at work is a Nikon user, and has a handful of lenses. We were talking about my Tamron 90 I think, and I asked if any of his lenses were non-Nikon. He gave me "are you kidding" look and shrug.

And we have the Ltd fans here, who think those are the greatest lenses ever.

I ended up with Pentax primarily because they had the 10-17 fisheye, I did not want to become a Nikon person, and the current Canon was few hundred more at the time.

If I was doing it all over from scratch with what I know now, I might not choose Pentax.

Last edited by SpecialK; 09-15-2010 at 03:17 PM.
09-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Try driving a 1960's Buick in a world full of Camaro's and Mustangs. At least people recognize a Pentax when they see one. Nobody knows what my car is when they see it. My car has been called everything but a Buick. I even had one guy argue with me that my car was a Chrysler and his dad had one just like it.

Nice Riviera, is it from 63-65 or 66-70?
09-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Yep, I guess so.
I don't think so, at least not on my watch. In 50+ years of shooting, I'd never had a Pentax before i bought the K20D. And I did *lots* of research. My bias was toward Sony or Olympus. But my analysis of all the offerings in Spring 2008 led me to Pentax. (More on that below.) Had I desired (and had the cash for) a snob system, I'd have gone the digital MF route. But first I wanted certain lenses; then I wanted a camera I wouldn't feel impelled to 'upgrade' at the first opportunity.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I ended up with Pentax primarily because they had the 10-17 fisheye, I did not want to become a Nikon person, and the current Canon was few hundred more at the time.
It was the DA10-17 that brought me to Pentax also. I'd asked myself, "What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have?" (a fine 5mpx Sony DSC-V1 'NightShot' cam with 4x Zeiss optics). The answers were: ultrawide, ultralong, and low light (and then macro). Well, everybody had long and fast lenses at not-too-terrible prices. But only Pentax and Oly had affordable fisheye zooms then, and Oly had problems. Canon and Nikon lenses cost too much then and the bodies comparable cost-wise to the K20D felt like cheap plastic and garnered many bitches and gripes from users.

QuoteQuote:
If I was doing it all over from scratch with what I know now, I might not choose Pentax.
The lens price points have changed quite a bit since I ordered my K20D, which was just when Hoya devoured Pentax. If I re-did my analysis now, knowing what I do about the total lens market, I still might go for Pentax... or Sony. I still find the K20D to be a tough act to follow. I still feel no compulsion to 'upgrade'. I'm not sorry for my decision nor for where I am. I'm not a Pentax snob; I got the best tools I could afford. And I won't blame those tools for my not knowing how to get the most from them. It's a poor worker who blames their tools, etc.
09-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The "clunk" you feel when you tilt your camera side to side is the snensor and the SR mechanism moving. It's normal, and your camera is not defective...

Sorry, what was the question again?
09-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I'm a little upset. It seems that Pentax gets no respect compared to Nikon and Canon.
John
Upset?? I don't understand why do you care about what the average camera owner thinks? Below picture is I took minutes ago, and I am very happy with the result, no sharpening or something, just resized, hoping it means something to you.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
09-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #30

I am inclined to think that there could not be a more clueless bunch of folks in the world of marketing. They don't seem to have any idea how to distinguish Pentax in the marketplace, or how to generate buzz.
Nowadays they seem to be aiming for an image of fun rather than respect. The coloured bodies and lenses, the emphasis on P&S shooting modes, even the support for AA batteries suggests they are cameras for people who prefer style over function. Are marketing really bad at their job, or are they just aiming for a different market segment? If you really want your camera to stand out, get a red one.

Um, no? I chose my camera based on the reviews and features, not name.

That said, I do kinda like being under-estimated. It's better then being over-estimated.