Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Republicans party like it's 1865

Catchy title........
no comment..........
Republicans party like it's 1865 | Arkansas Blog | Arkansas news, politics, opinion, restaurants, music, movies and art

09-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Classy.
09-16-2010, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Confederate uniforms were gray and union uniforms were blue, so he is dressed up as a union soldier risking his life to free the slaves.

And 1865 was the end of the civil war...

And Lincoln was the first republican president...

And democrats were the party that fought civil liberties for african americans for more than a century after the civil war...

This fails on so many levels if you know anything about american history.
09-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Confederate uniforms were gray and union uniforms were blue, so he is dressed up as a union soldier risking his life to free the slaves.

And 1865 was the end of the civil war...

And Lincoln was the first republican president...

And democrats were the party that fought civil liberties for african americans for more than a century after the civil war...

This fails on so many levels if you know anything about american history.
There may be a color cast in the photo, but that is a confederate uniform. Union soldiers wore dark blue. The caption also says that it is "S.C. Senate President Glenn McConnell - who FITS readers will recall enjoys dressing up as a Confederate General — posing in his Rebel garb with a pair of African-Americans dressed in, um, “antebellum” attire"

And the democrats who fought civil liberties became Republicans. The south went from solid Dem. to solid Repub. For example, Strom Thurmond ran for President in 1948 as a Democrat, but finished his life as a Republican. He switched in 1964 after LBJ pushed through the Civil Rights Act. Many of the southern Republicans who have been around a while were Dems in the 60s.

Last edited by GeneV; 09-16-2010 at 08:34 AM.
09-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If I'm not mistaken 2 of the people in that picture are professional musicians from Charleston SC who dress in period clothing and play traditional music with homemade instruments .
They are artists!
Would you be upset or outraged by the SweetGrass basket weavers who make and sell their art in tiny sheds along the side of rt17 in Charleston?
These people are preforming arts that have been passed down through generations and there are actually very few of them left.
If it were a couple white guys dressed as mountain men playing dulcemer and jug would that rile you up too?

Last edited by seacapt; 09-16-2010 at 08:53 AM.
09-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
If I'm not mistaken 2 of the people in that picture are professional musicians from Charleston SC who dress in period clothing and play traditional music with homemade instruments .
I wondered how they got those two to dress that way. Still, politicians dressing up in antebellum garb with purported slaves in the picture is in questionable taste, especially given the current political conflict where race is often a subject of discussion.
09-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I wondered how they got those two to dress that way. Still, politicians dressing up in antebellum garb with purported slaves in the picture is in questionable taste, especially given the current political conflict where race is often a subject of discussion.
Gene with the exception of a few years in a fine North Eastern school , I've lived my adult life below the Mason / Dixon Line and I'm honestly going to tell you that there seems to be less racial conflict here than on the other side of the line. Unfortunitely many still look at us as if we were 1964 Georgia Crackers because they don't know any better..

09-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Gene with the exception of a few years in a fine North Eastern school , I've lived my adult life below the Mason / Dixon Line and I'm honestly going to tell you that there seems to be less racial conflict here than on the other side of the line. Unfortunitely many still look at us as if we were 1964 Georgia Crackers because they don't know any better..
Some, like these folks, are helping that image along.

I grew up in Texas and lived there for the better part of three decades. I still visit there frequently to be with my family. I lived there when the 1964 act was passed and went to school with black children for the first time in 1965. I heard what people said around me. I saw a nearby neighborhood empty within months after the first black family moved in, with construction of homes and a shopping center halted as though a nuclear bomb had hit. I heard what was said by my grandmother, who was an otherwise decent, educated and loving woman. Her generation is gone, and the children of that generation are elderly. Many things are different now. I would also tend to believe you that racism is no worse now in many parts of the south than in many other parts of the country.

Nevertheless, the history of racial segregation enacted into law and as part of formal society is recent--during my half century on this earth--and it was more widespread in the former slave states. These kinds of pageants celebrating that society at a time when these racial attitudes were at their most extreme are not helpful to the image, especially when politicians participate.
09-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Inactive Account

+1

I think the racists in the south are very outspoken and are happy to be public about their prejudice but they represent a very small minority while the most of the rest are very open, tolerant, and embrace diversity. I have family from all over the northeast and they live in communities with very few or no minorities and they still hang on to their prejudices in a very low key way.
09-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two incidents just this summer...

1 - Riding in the hills of Western NC/TN. Not once did I ever get a bad vibe or made to feel uncomfortable.

2 - Vacationing in MI. A great time except for one restaurant filled with blue bloods. No words exchanged, but I felt pretty uncomfortable.
09-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The issue here is not whether the south in general is more racist than other areas, but what message is sent by a gathering of Republican politicians dressed as antebellum soldiers surrounded by others dressed as slaves.
09-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Running list I find funny........ SORRY.. O/T
CREW's Crooked Candidates 2010 | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
QuoteQuote:
CREW recognizes that with 2,300 people running for federal office this year, our list is by no means complete. In fact, we may not even have found the worst! Now we need your help: which truly terrible candidates did we miss? Submit your nominees to us and we’ll see if they rank among 2010’s most crooked candidates.

Here is who we have so far:
CREW's Crooked Candidates 2010

* Roy Blunt (R) U.S. Senate, MO
* Charlie Crist (I) U.S. Senate, FL
* Jeff Denham (R) U.S. House, CA
* Alvin Greene (D) U.S. Senate, SC
* Jeff Greene (D) U.S. Senate, FL - DEFEATED
* Timothy Griffin (R) U.S. House, AR
* J.D. Hayworth (R) U.S. Senate, AZ - DEFEATED
* Ed Martin (R) U.S. House, MO
* Kendrick Meek (D) U.S. Senate, FL
* Christine O'Donnell (R) U.S. Senate, DE
* Dino Rossi (R) U.S. Senate, WA
* Marco Rubio (R) U.S. Senate, FL
* James Traficant (I) U.S. House, OH
* Allen West (R) U.S. House, FL
What an honor........
QuoteQuote:
CREW WELCOMES CHRISTINE O’DONNELL (R-DE) TO THE LIST OF AMERICA’S MOST CROOKED CANDIDATES
http://www.citizensforethics.org/christine-odonnell-crooked-candidates
ALMOST 50/50......
http://www.crewsmostcorrupt.org/
BACK to the topic:
http://www.fitsnews.com/2010/09/14/how-republicans-party/
QuoteQuote:
UPDATE II: We’ve gotten a few calls wondering why we haven’t expressed an opinion on this matter. Frankly, we could care less if Republican (or Democratic) officials like to “play Confederate” in their spare time. It’s when they waste millions of tax dollars pursuing their Confederate fetishes (and then lie about it) that we get pissed off.

UPDATE III: A source in Sanford’s office tells FITS that the governor was on hand to present the organization with a “Certificate of Appreciation.”

UPDATE IV: Somebody freshen our mint juleps … Ben Smith at The Politico has just linked to our story!
UPDATE V: McConnell has responded to the controversy surrounding the pictures.
http://www.fitsnews.com/2010/09/15/mcconnell-responds-to-slavery-pics/
QuoteQuote:
And despite his appeals for “charitable understanding,” as we’ve noted on numerous occasions in the past there is no one who has worked harder to maintain South Carolina’s antiquated nineteenth century system of government than McConnell.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/sep/15/mcconnell-discusses-controver...il-war-re-ena/
YEP crowd was pretty white.. except.. Steele, and the 2 actors......

Last edited by jeffkrol; 09-16-2010 at 12:07 PM.
09-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

WOW an organization that admits that it leaves the incumbents running for office off of its list why would that be I wonder could it be that the vast majority of politicians can be labled as crooked if you look hard enough or your definition is wide enough?

Their list of the 15 most corrupt politicians
Report Summaries
•Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-FL)
•Sen. Roland Burris (D-IL)
•Rep. Ken Calvert (R-CA)
•Rep. Nathan Deal (R-GA)
•Sen. John Ensign (R-NV)
•Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D-IL)
•Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-CA)
•Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
•Rep. Alan B. Mollohan (D-WV)
•Rep. John P. Murtha (D-PA)
•Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-NY)
•Rep. Laura Richardson (D-CA)
•Rep. Pete Visclosky (D-IN)
•Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA)
•Rep. Don Young (R-AK)
09-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The list is poorly titled.It should be. "Most Crooked Candidates" or perhaps "Provably Crooked Candidates". "Crooked Candidates" is redundant.
09-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

OK, are these listed people there partying in Confederate uniforms or is this just totally off topic?