Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I admire countries such as Australia for making contraceptives easily and cheaply available. In the US such schemes invariably get stuck on the 'this encourages sexual activity and promiscuity' canard. Also, this is one of the areas where socially liberal people become labeled and loathed by social conservatives, as promoting stuff like promiscuity and drug abuse.
Some conservatives do get it. My sister is a conservative Christian, but she taught her daughters both about her interpretation of the Bible on sex and also about contraception. I don't know which lesson worked, but neither of them had children until married, and both still go to church.

09-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gene, I believe it has a lot to do with good parental leadership providing a sound moral example for the children to follow. It's known that outlawing and prosecuting certain behaviours and acts can encourage some to just want to do them whether out of spite or rebellion (the usual human traits - cf. teenagers. ). But it's always worse when there isn't sound moral/ethical/medical/physical reasoning to justify the prohibition - and if the behaviour gives some kind of 'reward' or good feelings.... So things like illicit drug use are much more rampant than let's say the prevalence of not wearing a seatbelt when travelling in a vehicle. Australia's anti-drug campaign is hardly as big as road safety campaigns (although things get complicated when drink driving and speeding are thrown into the discussion...) - which could also be due to funding and governmental priorities...

Of course, it's never that simple, but I make the point that with solid teaching (with perhaps unsavoury consequences of their rebellion) on the background of love and acceptance, there would be little 'need' for your nieces to go out and 'experiment' when they're happy growing up in a safe and fulfilling environment.
09-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

Of course, it's never that simple, but I make the point that with solid teaching (with perhaps unsavoury consequences of their rebellion) on the background of love and acceptance, there would be little 'need' for your nieces to go out and 'experiment' when they're happy growing up in a safe and fulfilling environment.
I wish that were true, but I have my doubts. I suspect it was different for different girils, and I won't invade anyone's privacy by going further. I do know that in another branch of my family where abstinence was the only teaching, all four girls were pregnant before marriage. Somehow, I think that having the contraception part both as a safety net and to soften the message a bit is important.
09-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Poverty is easy for government. Forget about inflation makes things cost more, don't look at the real wage, and keep moving the poverty line down. Very simple. Then just call those who make a penny over $10,830 as 'middle class'. Then you have those below

---------- Post added 09-19-10 at 10:54 AM ----------

who are so embarassed by being in poverty they take out those 'cash now' 'loans' to pay their rent. They can never pay that back either. So poverty is easy for government to solve. Solving real poverty, that's another matter.

---------- Post added 09-19-10 at 10:58 AM ----------

Oh then there's that whole teaching africans how to was their balls in the other thread. But oh no it's only like less than a penny compared to the $2 trillion 'stimlus'. How is that stimulating me? That $800,000 penny would do me well. So screwe the

---------- Post added 09-19-10 at 11:02 AM ----------

government and how they can 'help'. They can 'help' by getting off my nuts. I'm taxed to death. At the wage, the pump, my cell phone.... A trillion is a whole year of no taxes. But they still collect.

09-19-2010, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #20
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I wish that were true, but I have my doubts. I suspect it was different for different girils, and I won't invade anyone's privacy by going further. I do know that in another branch of my family where abstinence was the only teaching, all four girls were pregnant before marriage. Somehow, I think that having the contraception part both as a safety net and to soften the message a bit is important.
I agree.
Even the best guidance won't guarantee adherence to an accepted moral code in everyone - and the shared responsibility between girls and boys when it comes to teenage pregnancy and chastity before marriage shouldn't be neglected by the boys. It's my view that on a population level, policies should aim at both provision of safe and effective prevention as well as sound information.