Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #31
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I think something a lot of Americans don't realize also is that every society is a meritocracy of some sort, and that the USA isn't a bastion of merit.
The American lack of a meaningful social safety net (including a health care system that works for everyone) does not make your country more of a meritocracy than a country such as Great Britain or Canada which have very strong safety nets.
I think non-Americans should stop being so concerned about what happens within our borders, and be a little more concerned within their own, and pretend that America doesn't exist.

For example, imagine no U.S. military, a military which now allows Canada to save billions on defense, because they can expect the U.S. to come to their aid. (And add about a dozen other countries operating under the same principle.)

Billions of dollars supporting other nations, yet these nation-citizens criticizing the U.S. as a flawed model because we haven't been able to afford socialized medicine.

The hypocrisy is staggering!!!

The world gobbles up and craves American culture, while at the same time condemning it.

More hypocrisy, and signs of severe inferiority complexes!

09-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
This is almost funny It's not like Canada, Australia and the European countries asked the US to build a mighty army for their own benefit. Rather, it's part of the game of power that makes it such that the US is interested in extending its 'umbrella' over its allies. I doubt any such ally would object to the US's deciding to drastically reduce its 'defense' budget. Who knows, it might help the US economy as well.

"The world gobbles up and craves American culture, while at the same time condemning it."

Usually it's not the same people who do both at the same time. If this contradiction is real, as I think it is, it should be approached as a cultural phenomenon that deserves to be understood. People, not societies as a whole, can be hypocritical.
09-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I doubt any such ally would object to the US's deciding to drastically reduce its 'defense' budget.
Ask S. Korea, Japan, and Taiwan how they would feel about that. Japan's PM recently stepped down over his inability to alter the US military's posture in Japan.
09-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You mean, the populations of those countries or their governments? As to the threat posed by China, I believe it's more economical and less military. There is ample room for a drastic reduction of the US military deficit that would preserve an overwhelming military superiority of the Americans:
World Military Spending ? Global Issues

09-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
You mean, the populations of those countries or their governments? As to the threat posed by China, I believe it's more economical and less military.
The threat to Taiwan from china is very much a military threat. If the US did not offer ROC its full military support, China would be crossing the straight the next day. The threats for Korea and Taiwan are not directly from the Chinese, but from the extremely crazy nuclear armed dynastic dictator they support in North Korea whose interests include shooting down Korean civilian airliners, sinking Korean warships, test firing ballistic missiles, kidnapping popular movie directors, and fine cognac. He also has a battery of artillery stationed within range of Seoul, so if the korean war ever turned into a hot war again, which it might since the north unilaterally withdrew from the ceasefire last year, US forces would be relied upon to help defend the south.
09-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, then, I guess spending almost half of the amount representing the world's military expenditure is justified. Korea and Taiwan would jump to object to, say, 5% cuts--they would have every right to do it, because their need for help keeps the US Army going.
09-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I think non-Americans should stop being so concerned about what happens within our borders, and be a little more concerned within their own, and pretend that America doesn't exist.

For example, imagine no U.S. military, a military which now allows Canada to save billions on defense, because they can expect the U.S. to come to their aid. (And add about a dozen other countries operating under the same principle.)

Billions of dollars supporting other nations, yet these nation-citizens criticizing the U.S. as a flawed model because we haven't been able to afford socialized medicine.

The world gobbles up and craves American culture, while at the same time condemning it.

More hypocrisy, and signs of severe inferiority complexes!
I'd love to forget that America exists, but unfortunately, when the USA farts, the entire world stinks.
The rst of your post is the typical flag waving lunacy that generally pops up as a discussion ender.
Sort of Godwin's law except the flag is more colourful.

09-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Billions of dollars supporting other nations, yet the U.S. as a flawed model because we haven't been able to afford socialized medicine.

YES it is............ for us.
09-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Might be off topic but, Why did Wayne Douglas Gretzky leave Edmonton anyway?
09-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Ask S. Korea, Japan, and Taiwan how they would feel about that. Japan's PM recently stepped down over his inability to alter the US military's posture in Japan.
Yeah, he stepped down because he promised to kick the US base out of Okinawa and was unable to do it. i.e., the people of Japan don't want us there.
09-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Yeah, he stepped down because he promised to kick the US base out of Okinawa and was unable to do it. i.e., the people of Japan don't want us there.
we should go Wolf, let them deal with China,sure all is forgot, everthing be fine.
09-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
we should go Wolf, let them deal with China,sure all is forgot, everthing be fine.
I didn't make any statement of personal opinion in either direction. :|
09-30-2010, 02:17 AM   #43
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'd love to forget that America exists, but unfortunately, when the USA farts, the entire world stinks.
The rst of your post is the typical flag waving lunacy that generally pops up as a discussion ender.
Sort of Godwin's law except the flag is more colourful.
Flag waving lunacy?

When you look at the impact America has had in maintaining world peace and its other positive impacts on nations--compared to that of Canada, for example--the latter can hardly be considered a world power.

Canada has always lived in America's shadow, and I know that hurts--but please don't blame the U.S. for that. At least you send us some good comedians now and then.

And by the way:

It was the acid rain coming FROM Canada that stunk up the U.S. a while back, so I think you have it backwards.

You should just get it over with and bow down now to the greatness which is your neighbor to the south, and try to learn from us. At least we're not talking about secession every 8 years like you guys are, nor enacting laws demanding that signage be in French.

And I won't even get INTO those opening ceremonies at the Olympics!

---------- Post added 09-30-10 at 02:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
the people of Japan don't want us there.
Actually, I think the people of Okinawa don't want us there, which is understandable (not in my backyard syndrome), but the majority of Japanese are evenly split.

Not exactly sure about the numbers, but I wanted to point out that you made a little leap there that needs some clarification.

Last edited by Ira; 09-30-2010 at 02:24 AM.
09-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #44
Inactive Account

the majority of Japanese are evenly split.
I get the impression that the majority of the japanese political and military have a very pragmatic hope that the US troops stay in Japan, a hope that comes from a sober look at their own readiness and the threats in the region.

I would also say that regarding Europe, the US Military has been a stabilizing force for peace over the last 65 years. You haven't seen any continental war, you did see another war in the Balkans that did not overflow into the rest of the continent. Looking at how snippy the Greek press got this spring, it is clear that Germany has not regained 100% of the trust of its neighbors. Members of the Euro have really been hit with a realization that they do not have control over their currency and the Euro zone is dominated by Germany which causes them to have limited economic flexibility. This is the same reason we will never see an "Amero," if one country is so dominant in setting policy it is unfair to smaller countries and if the smaller countries are allowed to hamper the economic superpowers that creates tension too.
10-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think one of the key elements to the US economic model that is missed when other countries try to reproduce it, especially the europeans is openness to other cultures. .
Your openes to other culturs is adapt or die......

---------- Post added 10-01-10 at 10:14 PM ----------

An important element of the 'European Social Model' that the author conveniently omitted was the concept of formally recognized nobility.

Norway doesn't have a nobility. And the Scandinavial model is pretty well regarded....
Closed Thread