Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
After having just joined and waded straight into the "rumour"section - I just want to say: thank you, to the tread starter of this excellent tread...

09-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I still read there but it is painful and isn't even worth posting in most of the time.
It's wonderful that News+Rumours, like Politics+Religion, are in separate sections, so the rest of us can ignore the crud there unless we really feel like wallowing.

Say, how'bout that heliosphere!?!?! Really something, ain't it?!?!?!
09-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I'm honestly kind of baffled where all this hostility is coming from.
Half of all people are below average :-)
09-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Only if they are normal-distributed.

09-29-2010, 04:50 AM   #35
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Half of the people are below the median. Mathematically, it is possible for all but 1 to be below average.
09-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Half of the people are below the median. Mathematically, it is possible for all but 1 to be below average.

Thank you for that distinction. Most "average" people do not know what median or mean is :-)
09-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Thank you for that distinction. Most "average" people do not know what median or mean is :-)
That's because they're in innumeracy mode.

09-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #38
Veteran Member

When I started frequenting these forums 2 years ago it was all about,

"Pentax only have 3 fps. No pro will ever use a 3 fps camera"
"Weather sealing only works if you got a weather sealed lens, they are expencive"

Then after a while it also turned into a "I hate pentax high iso noise"

We got 7 fps, we got cheap weather sealed lenses, we got extremly good high iso (K-X), Improved AF <- Some still complain that the K-5 got bad AF even tho they havent tested it, we got the most rugged, smallest, best ergonomic body of all brands... EVER!
We get auto align on the HDR shots <-- People complained that the K-7 Didnt have this.

And the same people that complained that the K-7 got video, no real camera got video right, now complains that the k-5 dont have full AF and manual controll in video. Even tho they stated that they would never use it.

But tbh, some things have to be whined about, otherwise we wouldnt get improvements.
09-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #39
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The pain lies in that the whining polutes the threads in form of one reply here and there. Then it can suddenly escalates into arguing and fighting for 2 pages.
Its kinda boring when you really want to read a thread that you think is interesting.

I think "bashing" threads are good, in the same way "praising" threads are good.

Now....if they only could do that in the "news and rumors" section to :ugh:

for example:

"NEWS: Pentax next camera K-@ announced. For us positive folks"

"NEWS: K-@, complain and whine about it here"

Simple......

BTW: This is turning into a real "bitchin and whining" thread
09-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
When I started frequenting these forums 2 years ago it was all about,

"Pentax only have 3 fps. No pro will ever use a 3 fps camera"
"Weather sealing only works if you got a weather sealed lens, they are expencive"

Then after a while it also turned into a "I hate pentax high iso noise"

We got 7 fps, we got cheap weather sealed lenses, we got extremly good high iso (K-X), Improved AF <- Some still complain that the K-5 got bad AF even tho they havent tested it, we got the most rugged, smallest, best ergonomic body of all brands... EVER!
We get auto align on the HDR shots <-- People complained that the K-7 Didnt have this.

And the same people that complained that the K-7 got video, no real camera got video right, now complains that the k-5 dont have full AF and manual controll in video. Even tho they stated that they would never use it.

But tbh, some things have to be whined about, otherwise we wouldnt get improvements.
"Oh, look at that, a brand new feature in our 60D - safety lock on the mode dial, now you have to hold the button before you can turn the mode dial, pretty unique?" I guess those people don't even know other brands exist - and it was in the k-7 last year... nobody noticed that; perhaps only when it is implemented in Canikon cameras.
09-30-2010, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

A lot of the "noise" come from people who profess to be experts who can seemingly rattle off technospeak, camera specifications, marketing guru insights or price comparos but who in all likelihood can't shoot for nuts. Then again there are plenty of Pentax users using another camera brand. So when Pentax finally comes out with a camera that can rival or surpass their other brand camera system that they have already forked out a lot of money, the natural tendency is to pooh, pooh Pentax as if to make themselves feel better for choosing the more expensive other brand. The last category is the poor as a church mouse Pentax user who is saddled with old and discontinued gear who enviously plays down the new camera with the oft repeated mantra about lenses first, body second; the new camera can't be as good as what he's using, etc. Just human nature to belittle to cover up personal insecurities I guess.
09-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Doesnt get better with the way cameras are being released theese days.

2-3 models every or every other year, from each brand!

Alot of people see the camera buy as a long term buy, and of course, a modern camera today last very long. There are plenty of *istD and K-10 users that are very happy. And those cameras take great pictures.

There are also those who get realy sad and angry when they buy a camera and after a year theres a new one released. But thats something personal, and i i feel sorry for those who feel that way. They should be happy with what they got! Again.....Go out and take pictures! If you can justify the cost to change to a new camera, then go ahead....

The actual difference in the cameras is very small if you look at an image.
But nooooooo, we dont do that do we..... We watch specs! We watch pixels, and we just have to loath in ISO noise!

The later is the extreme here. My father who shot alot of film in "those days" said to me just recently. "Hey son, isnt it fantastic that i can use this ISO thing in the camera? Its crazy that i can use 1600" .......it was ISO 1600 fron an 4yo Canon Powershot

Well guess what....He was content and happy with that. Just because he shot alot of film when he was young doesnt have to mean that he requires an FF like 5DmarkII. Hes quite happy with the old Power Shot. He doesnt see the difference (old digital Power Shot vs. Nikon 35mm camera something) at the base ISO's, not like WE do.
And its only because the most important thing to him is the meaning and the purpose of taking pictures.

BTW: I'll probably go for the K-5 But im a gadget freak...got cravings.
09-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
"Oh, look at that, a brand new feature in our 60D - safety lock on the mode dial, now you have to hold the button before you can turn the mode dial, pretty unique?" I guess those people don't even know other brands exist - and it was in the k-7 last year... nobody noticed that; perhaps only when it is implemented in Canikon cameras.
I did, and I'm Still bitching about it

09-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Kinda ironic, a thread bitching about bitching.
10-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #45
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Kinda ironic, a thread bitching about bitching.
It sure is
Closed Thread