Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Half of the people are below the median. Mathematically, it is possible for all but 1 to be below average.
Mathematically, "average" can be taken to mean a wide variety of things, and is not necessarily the arithmetic mean.[/math degree]

On-Topic: The amount of bitching and whining on this forum has made it pretty unpalatable for this noob, and so I don't come around much anymore, nor do I have a strong desire to be a part of this community. The signal-to-noise ratio is pretty low; there's a lot of gnashing of teeth from people who don't seem to give a flying squirrel about photography, but just want a spec'd out gadget, and on the other side, militant fanboyism.

I really *like* my Pentax gear, but I *love* taking pictures.

10-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #47
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
Mathematically, "average" can be taken to mean a wide variety of things, and is not necessarily the arithmetic mean.[/math degree]

Understood. That doesn't make either of my two assertions false.
1. Half of all people are at or below the median.
2. Mathematically it is possible for all but one (of a sample population) to be below average.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-02-2010 at 08:34 AM.
10-01-2010, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

You got it man. People are never happy when I hear someone complain I tell them to come and work with me for a day. I work with special needs people I tell myself I got it made compared to these folks. And I don't have very much. But I'm glad I wake up every mourning.
10-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #49
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
You got it man. People are never happy when I hear someone complain I tell them to come and work with me for a day. I work with special needs people I tell myself I got it made compared to these folks. And I don't have very much. But I'm glad I wake up every mourning.
Well said! And you are fortunate to have that kind of job, wich is a kind of an eye opener into the facts of life.

We shared the same school buildings with special needs children when i was young, wich im am very thankfull of today.

10-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Understood. That doesn't make either of my two assertions false.
1. Half of all people are below the median.
2. Mathematically it is possible for all but one (of a sample population) to be below average.
I hope no one else minds my needless nitpicking (including Parallax), but the median is also an "average", and it is mathematically possible for all but one of a sample population to be below or equal to the median. It is also possible to have only one of a sample population less than the median.

I would let it go, but they rescind your math degree if you don't actively try to suck the life out of conversations by arguing pointless minutiae.
10-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #51
Veteran Member

i love the moaning but the bitching i cant take
10-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Only if they are normal-distributed.
With the troll population in question, I think non-parametric statistics would be required!

10-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #53
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
I hope no one else minds my needless nitpicking (including Parallax), but the median is also an "average", and it is mathematically possible for all but one of a sample population to be below or equal to the median. It is also possible to have only one of a sample population less than the median.

I would let it go, but they rescind your math degree if you don't actively try to suck the life out of conversations by arguing pointless minutiae.
I believe you are confusing median with mean. The arithmetic median is the midpoint in a string of numbers, not an average. (if there are an even number of values in the string, the median is the average of the middle two).
In the string 1 2 3 3 3 4 5 8 8 9 22, 4 is the median. (Equal number of values above and below that)
The average (or mean) of the string is 6.182 (rounded to 3 decimals.)

Citation

Citation

Citation

EDIT: In my initial assertion, I stated that half would be below the median and this is not quite correct. There will be equal numbers above and below the median. They can be fewer than half, as some may be at the median. (As in the string 1, 2,2,2, and 3)

Last edited by Parallax; 10-02-2010 at 10:56 AM.
10-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #54
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So....what does it have to do with the bitchin and moaning in the "news and rumors" section?
10-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Some people just don't know how to count their blessings when they have them. It's the same in all areas of life really. Half cup, is it half empty or half full? People take too much for granted these days that they can do this, buy that, all the time. Me, I just laugh when I see all those complaining posts because probably more than half of the bitchin going in is from people who already have the digital equivalent of a Mercedes in their hand, and me I'm still driving the analog equivalent of an old Chevy.

Not to make anyone feel bad, I do have to wonder sometimes if people like that can ever stop bitchin and whining long enough to be grateful to have what they have and to actually use it. It's Saturday, already! Take whatever camera you've got, get off this forum, go find something to shoot besides the mouth for a change! BTW, lest you think I'm talking out of turn, I'm taking my own advice as soon as I've had my lunch. I'm loading up my SLR with a roll of film, packing me a drink and some extra film and a lens or two and I'm getting out of here to go shoot some pictures! 20 minutes to eat, read a few posts and I am out of here for a couple of hours at least!

10-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #56
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
So....what does it have to do with the bitchin and moaning in the "news and rumors" section?
Nothing. What's your point?
(o.k., o.k., I'll stop.)
10-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I want to start a new thread, "The bitching and moaning about the bitching and moaning has gone too far!"

Who's with me?

10-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #58
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Go for it!
10-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #59
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
I think the Hypothesis in this case is that ~ 49% of the bitchers are below "average."
10-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #60
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You guys are crazy!
What's this thread about again?

creampuff, you're right on the money. +1, man!
You like K-5? Go buy! No like K-5? No buy.
Closed Thread