Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 09:37 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Inactive Account

The bitchin and moaning has gone to far !

Im talking about the bitchin and moaning and complaining over at the "News and Rumors" section. Its gone so far that I feel the need to go HERE and bitch and moan my self. Its really awfull!

I can live with people complaining and crying for FF......to some extent, even that has gone to far.

Now the complaining has gone so far, that actually mods and respected forum contributors are acting like litle children over gadgets!

I feel like this:

Its only material stuff. Gadgets, tools, means of wich to do something with, etc etc.... get over it. Buy the stuff that will do the things you want! If you cant afford it? Then get over it damn it!

Its about taking pictures and having fun! When did they all forgot about that?

One member stated that he would wait a whole year before leaving the ship! Thats about the stupidest thing i've heard. He has great gear but is not happy with Pentax, fine, Pentax doesnt give a damn about HIS needs and what HE wants, but he'll just wait another year to wait and see what happens. This has absolutely nothing to do with photography! Personaly i couldnt stand it living with that much gear, knowing that i in my heart know that i will change system, for a whole year.

I would do it quick! Get over it people! Just sell the stuff you have, and buy something else!

I changed systems once, from Canon to Pentax and actually i could do it again. To whatever brand that comes with something interesting to me. Currently i really feel that Pentax is "my way".

bahh! i could go on and on about this.... its a shame that people get so overly obsessed with something that they have the power to change. Its in their own power to make themselves happy! Just do it!

*pfeew* that was great....now i feel good about it. They almost ruined the fun in that, we just got new great gear to play with.

Please. If you feel the need to bash at me, then do so, i'll be here.....
Please. If you feel with me, then i'll be here to.

09-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You go girl!
09-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What would people be doing if they weren't bitching and moaning about something? Oh, I get it, they would be out taking pictures ..

I do agree. If someone wants a full frame dSLR they should just go out and buy one. They are available and adapters are even made to use the precious Pentax glass on them. I've thought about it but haven't seen one that really speaks to me. Plus I can't justify the $2500+ cost.

09-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #4

Wow, someone that actually feels the same way I do! I love my K-x but that's not going to stop me from buying another Nikon or Canon or Fuji, one day. Have P&S Canon and Fuji but no dSLRs, still have had a Nikon SLR and it was a pretty good performer, little on the heavy side but maybe the digital models are a little less weight, I don't know.
That was a really good 'rant' there, the swede, thanks it needed to be said (wish I'd said it first)

09-26-2010, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I said this morning in an thread there, some people have misinterpreted "News and Rumors" as being a place to start rumors.
09-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did have my fair part of moaning on this forum, from time to time.

Maybe it's because I am getting old but I see no point in complaining.

My last comments were about what Pentax DID finally come up with: a camera which would do two most important things for my type of photography and they are: high ISO handling and better AF.
Got both!

Now, stop the moaning JP (me) and get out there to take some pics until you've got that camera you wanted... then get out and take some more!

Thanks for the OP ... a very timely post indeed.

Cheers.

JP
09-26-2010, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The thing is, well, see this as me speaking from my heart here, i AM a proud Pentaxian and i feel a litle special when im in a crowd and i am the only one with a Pentax. Or when im standing in the rain and shooting and the others run for cover....well such simple things can be enough for me. Im that gadget freaky i confess. But i always choose to use the things i really feel is good. I wont compromise in anything....

hmmm.....wait......isnt Pentax about compromises? only joking. I can see the irony in that though.

I am truly happy with Pentax right now! And im glad they are going in the direction they are. A very unknown direction

But. I totaly understand the thing with being proud as a pentaxian. The brand is/was/where speciall and has a niche mark to them. The latest direction is towards consumer market though, but there still things left.

WR, inbody SR, DA Limiteds, backwards compabilty, good prices......

The thing with recent forum activity is that poeple tend to get over exited with the rumors thinking it all is crap and jumping to conclusions to fast. And/or set their expectations way to high because of what the other brands do with their releases.
I can see the pain in being Pentax, with having to please the few enthousiasts left, and then please the corp trying to make profit in the mass area.

09-26-2010, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I've consciously taken a step back from all of that and am spending more time posting photographs and discussing photography, not cameras. I suggest that others do the same.
09-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thats great John! I try to do that myself. My favourite section in the Forum has always been "Post you Photos" and i always try to comment on others pictures and such. Last months have been way too busy for photography though (bacame father, buying a house and so on) The few hours left of the day is spended scimming through some forums and being on the sofa with my kind and wife

So... anyways... i really hope things calm down a litle once the gadgets cool down. For the sake of good forum health. But that'll probably take a long time as there are many reviews and tests to "bitch and moan" about
09-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Now the complaining has gone so far, that actually mods and respected forum contributors are acting like litle children over gadgets!
Being the childish mod, (and I enjoyed that quote) I completely agree. I've posted this before, members of competing brands do not eat their young when something isn't exactly as they wanted. This seems to be a Pentax owners trait.

Pentax is a heck of a good brand and offers much that others don't. Look at lens prices on the other brands. If you want top tier lenses, they cost nearly double.

A perfect example is the Nikon 24-70mm for the full frame. That lens is $1699.00 and basically the same speed and FOV of the DA*16-50mm that sells for $799 or so.

I don't want to hijack the point of the thread and discuss gear. My additional point is that we need to enjoy what we have, stop complaining so much and go have fun shooting pics.
09-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #11

Amen!

I just recently started reading the boards again because of the K-5, but it's been almost a year since I stopped. The main reason I quit reading the forums was because of the constant FF whining. The same damn people have been crying about not having a FF option *FOR YEARS*. I have a hard time believing that one could have passed over the release of the Canon 5dmkII, Nikon D700, Sony A850/A900 (all excellent and now CHEAP FF cameras) yet STILL maintain that FF was critical for their work. It's like a little kid crying that their sibling got a toy they didn't--not because they even wanted it, just because someone else got something and they didn't. Most of us would have to sell half our lens lineup anyway if Pentax released a FF body and if you do that you're already halfway there to switching systems.

Honestly, researching products and buying this is a hobby of mine in it of itself. When considering a new product I don't have any brand loyalty, I'll buy what is best for my needs and price range. Pentax was the and still is the best combination of features, pricepoint, and quality so that is the reason I chose it and the reason I still shoot it. Since Pentax isn't as well known generally Pentax shooters had done their research before hand, unlike most Canikon shooters who made their purchases based on what other people said. I had a rebel owner once try to tell me about how Canon was a better product and how the full frame EOS-1D was where it was at. I politely informed him that the EOS-1D was APS-H. I think our society has gotten so inundated with consumerism that people feel like material purchases define us as individuals. Thus whatever we buy has to be awesome so we can feel good about ourselves.

I used to praise how good-natured this board was. People were generally open minded and the hostility was low--a far cry from the Nikon vs Canon flame wars you see on other forums. But, it seems like the Pentax boards have developed a kind of self-loathing, where instead of flaming other brands, users flame the brand they use. With Pentax arguably doing better than it's ever done and on the verge of bringing out its best camera yet, I'm honestly kind of baffled where all this hostility is coming from.
09-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Being the childish mod, (and I enjoyed that quote) I completely agree. I've posted this before, members of competing brands do not eat their young when something isn't exactly as they wanted. This seems to be a Pentax owners trait.

Pentax is a heck of a good brand and offers much that others don't. Look at lens prices on the other brands. If you want top tier lenses, they cost nearly double.

A perfect example is the Nikon 24-70mm for the full frame. That lens is $1699.00 and basically the same speed and FOV of the DA*16-50mm that sells for $799 or so.

I don't want to hijack the point of the thread and discuss gear. My additional point is that we need to enjoy what we have, stop complaining so much and go have fun shooting pics.
Peter. I am really glad you put a smiley there

Totaly understand if it seems as i pointed finger at you. I was not. You just landed in the cross fire I do respect the work of the mods though, and you got my full respect for that! You guys have a rough time keeping things the way the title says.
"Friendly Pentax Discussion Community"
I've encountered many members being very mean, writing very bad stuff to newcommers who only seek help. Thats a shame, but theres always some of them, everywhere. Good part is that the majority of the members is nice!

I agree on the value of the brand. (We sure can discuss anything here. Doesnt matter to me.)
I couldnt help to think a litle about the prices and costs changing to Nikon with the D7000 release. Still a very enticing camera to me but....

I stopped counting half way through, because i couldnt match my gear with price.
WR and SR for lenses was the main reason.
09-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
emr

Sometimes I wonder if there's more bitching and whining about Pentax or bitching and whining about bitching and whining?

But I think it's usually about having invested heavily in a brand's equipment and wanting it to stay competitive and providing up-to-date equipment. You know it's not a minor task to get rid of all your photo gear and replacing them with another.

But on a general level I agree with the OP.
09-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Sometimes I wonder if there's more bitching and whining about Pentax or bitching and whining about bitching and whining?

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
But I think it's usually about having invested heavily in a brand's equipment and wanting it to stay competitive and providing up-to-date equipment. You know it's not a minor task to get rid of all your photo gear and replacing them with another.
Of course! I really understand that its hard when theres a lot of time and money spent in it. But still, the key is to actually feel good in the end and enjoy taking pictures. To reach that point will involve some pain for those that really feel bad about it all.

I kinda feel bad for pointing my fingers at the ones who spended many years and money into the system and then feel dissapointed and left out in the end. But, if they love their gear and feel happy using it. They will coop with it. Maybe selling some of the gear, and keeping the very best of it could be the solution to them. I hope...
09-26-2010, 12:06 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Banned

I’ve been with this forum a long time, and i’ve seen this all before, with the k10, the k20, the k7 and now the k5. bitching, moaning, whining, complaining. but personally, I think, now its just gotten down right pathetic. I don’t actually share most of my photography (mostly local journalism) so I don’t hang around the actual photographic section much, so bash me if you will for missing the best part of the forum, but the way I see it, this whole place is getting out of hand. especially when moderators act like spoiled little kids. I honestly don’t think I will be spending much if any more time here. (not that anyone cares) see ya folks, the battery in my k7 needs charging and my Leica M3 is calling!
Closed Thread