QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Fail. 1 is not the median.
But it could be the mode.
That's good enough for me.
Time to close this thread now?
10-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I believe you are confusing median with mean. The arithmetic median is the midpoint in a string of numbers, not an average. (if there are an even number of values in the string, the median is the average of the middle two).
In the string 1 2 3 3 3 4 5 8 8 9 22, 4 is the median. (Equal number of values above and below that)
The average (or mean) of the string is 6.182 (rounded to 3 decimals.)

Citation

Citation

Citation

EDIT: In my initial assertion, I stated that half would be below the median and this is not quite correct. There will be equal numbers above and below the median. They can be fewer than half, as some may be at the median. (As in the string 1, 2,2,2, and 3)
I assure you, I do not need a math lesson. "The average" is not a well-defined mathematical term. Generally when people refer to "the" average, they mean the arithmetic mean, but all "average" means to a mathematician is a measure of central tendency, which could be the arithmetic mean, the harmonic mean, the median, the mode, the midrange, etc.
10-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Right I think we can allow bitchin and moaning when mathematics takes over a thread.

10-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #65
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
I assure you, I do not need a math lesson. "The average" is not a well-defined mathematical term. Generally when people refer to "the" average, they mean the arithmetic mean, but all "average" means to a mathematician is a measure of central tendency, which could be the arithmetic mean, the harmonic mean, the median, the mode, the midrange, etc.
I wasn't challenging in any way your definition of average. Yes, it can mean many things. I do not have a math degree, and could probably benefit from math lessons, so I really am not qualified to argue the subject with you at all.
It is the definition of median that I am having a little trouble with here. What I find perplexing is that all of the definitions/explanations of median that I have found all agree with each other; but none seem to coincide with yours. confused2
Oh well.
10-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I wasn't challenging in any way your definition of average. Yes, it can mean many things. I do not have a math degree, and could probably benefit from math lessons, so I really am not qualified to argue the subject with you at all.
It is the definition of median that I am having a little trouble with here. What I find perplexing is that all of the definitions/explanations of median that I have found all agree with each other; but none seem to coincide with yours. :confused2:
Oh well.
After your fix, I don't see how my comments contradict your definition of median. I think we're on the same page now.

I propose that the title of this thread be changed to "The bitching and mathematics have gone too far"
10-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #67
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I propose that the title of this thread be changed to "The bitching and mathematics have gone too far"

10-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #68
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What's this thread about again?
Looks like it's about 5 pages.
ba-boom, chhhhh.
10-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #69
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I want to start a new thread, "The bitching and moaning about the bitching and moaning has gone too far!"

Who's with me?

Can i join! I'll stand in line....

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You guys are crazy!
What's this thread about again?
It about me actually.... cant belive everyone else comes in here and steals the attention.... its about me me me me me

No.... its about me getting sick of all the moaning and complaining about..... bah.... you know.....

Seems they're at it again now.... The never ending "buhuhuuu, Pentax wont give me an FF, so i'll start a thread about how they could make an FF at a cheap price"

Imagine if Pentax made a FF with a couple of nice lenses. Good for them then. It would probably compete in price with the others. But would that be the end of "bitchin and moaning"? Would people be happy?

No way!

It would actually be the same as now.... or probably worse. Because they would bash at Pentax for not making it as good as Canikon does, for not making the specs the same or better than canikon, and for everything in between.

Just go out and get your self an FF if you really need it. If you really need it, then you can afford it. If you can afford it, you are not one of those complaining are you
10-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #70
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess there is a reason why statisticians and mathematicians don't drink together without getting into fights. These things are defined in statistics. Statisticians don't use average in reference to "median" and "mode." One rule of thumb regarding the measures of central tendency is that when they are roughly equal, it suggests a normal distribution of the sample. However, it is possible for count data to fit the test for normalcy even though they may have been taken from a non-normal population. That said, non-parametric data (i.e. non-normal) have means. What I'm getting at, is that if Pentaxians fail the normalcy test which is likely, the data set could still fit a bell curve.

Enough of this. It is starting to sound like the office. I argue about this crap at work enough as it is.

Last edited by Blue; 10-04-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typo
10-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #71
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I guess there is a reason why statisticians and mathematicians don't drink together without getting into fights. These things are defined in statistics. Statisticians don't use average in reference to "median" and "mode." One rule of thumb regarding the measures of central tendency is that when they are roughly equal, it suggests a normal distribution of the sample. However, it is possible for count data to fit the test for normalcy even though they may have been taken from a non-normal population. That said, non-parametric data (i.e. non-normal) still have means. What I'm getting at, if Pentaxians are fail the normalcy test which is likely, the data set could still fit a bell curve.
NOW, I really have a headache!
10-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Right I think we can allow bitchin and moaning when mathematics takes over a thread.
This is like meta-bitching-and-moaning sub prime squared.
10-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I guess there is a reason why statisticians and mathematicians don't drink together without getting into fights.
Because the statisticians are jealous of the mathematicians being correct*, and the mathematicians are jealous of the statisticians for getting paid

*feel free to replace with "pedantic", if you must
10-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First time I've seen math take over a thread, and I sort of started it

If you kids don't stop bitching about statistics, I'll hit you in your heads with my physics Ph.D. degree!
10-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #75
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
First time I've seen math take over a thread, and I sort of started it

If you kids don't stop bitching about statistics, I'll hit you in your heads with my physics Ph.D. degree!
What kind of insects should I ship Douglas. Its too cold there for killer bees. Maybe bedbugs . . .
Closed Thread