Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just One Quick Question...why so negative in the rumors section?

The negativity here is becoming quite sickening. Why do so many people invest so much energy and emotion in speculation and BS? I stopped checking in a dpreview a long time ago because of it. I use to think this place was so much better but now I'm not so convinced. Death of the FA Ltds was the straw that broke the camel's back.

09-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #2

elsewhere the pentax section is generally very positive
09-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
The negativity here is becoming quite sickening. Why do so many people invest so much energy and emotion in speculation and BS? I stopped checking in a dpreview a long time ago because of it. I use to think this place was so much better but now I'm not so convinced. Death of the FA Ltds was the straw that broke the camel's back.
+1.
Quite a number of people who are posting on dpreview are the very same people who post here. So it is easy enough for any negativity to carry over...
09-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Everybody thinks they know best. +1 for you.
Better if you go past the news and rumors and go to other part of this forum.

09-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #5

Was it the thread about the death of the FA Limiteds that broke the camels back or was it the rumour that it was happening? That rumour has been quashed by the member who posted this.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/115904-i-sent-email-pe...ml#post1198470

Seems that FA limited thread had some fall out though.
09-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Nubi

That is certainly one valid way to look at it. Negativity typically doesn't help much.

But, this is a camera forum. What goes on here usually don't kill or harm people. We are bickering about gadgets of all things in our spare time (spare time, right?). It is a form of entertainment. This forum will not receive this much traffic without occasional drama like that.

I certainly didn't intend for the death thread to take off in a direction that it did, but in many ways I am glad that it did. For one I do think that it showed how strongly some of the members feel about FA ltds. The thread did prompt one member to even write an e mail, and it was put to rest, all within 48 hours.

From Pentax standpoint, I don't think this is bad. I guess Pentax evokes strong emotions more so than other brands do. Maybe that was the only reason they have survived this long.

I would say it was worthwhile.
09-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #7

Seems we lost a moderator too.

09-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #8

I completely agree .
09-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads up. Although I am buying a Sony, I plan on using my Pentax gear for a while longer. This forum is just too depressing for me.

For anyone using micro 4/3, I can highly recommend MU 43. Everyone there is happy with their Olympus or Panasonic camera and there's a lot of photography discussion. Some very good photographers too!
09-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, the negativity has got to stop! For what it's worth, the rumors section can be ignored through your user CP options.

I started a positive thread a while back to try to balance things out: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/115283-official-k-...ng-thread.html

The sad reality is that rumors sections on most sites are full of bullshit and flaming. That's just how content-hungry internet users are, as they can't ever settle for what's currently available. However, we do get several great threads here from time to time, and I think we're also doing quite well compared to several other sites in terms of overall mood.

QuoteOriginally posted by K20DPent Quote
Seems we lost a moderator too.
Peter is taking a 1-week break - he'll be back!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moved to general talk.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
This forum is just too depressing for me.
I hope you're referring just to the rumors section, and not the whole site in general. We definitely do our best here- more than anywhere else, I'm sure. You should:

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For what it's worth, the rumors section can be ignored through your user CP options.

Adam

09-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
+1.
Quite a number of people who are posting on dpreview are the very same people who post here. So it is easy enough for any negativity to carry over...
I agree, the negativity has got to stop! For what it's worth, the rumors section can be ignored through your user CP options.

I started a positive thread a while back to try to balance things out: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/115283-official-k-...ng-thread.html

The sad reality is that rumors sections on most sites are full of bullshit and flaming. That's just how content-hungry internet users are, as they can't ever settle for what's currently available. However, we do get several great threads here from time to time, and I think we're also doing quite well compared to several other sites in terms of overall mood.

The nice part of this forum vs DPReview, is that here, the bitching is categorized so you can completely ignore it. Myself, I find it amusing so I look in, and even participate once in awhile.

09-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #14
Nubi

You know, I don't mean to perpetuate negativity (actually, I do), but shortly after staring the death thread I got a pm from MPRiley saying that at PF they do not tolerate vulgarity.

What I said was, "suddenly, Pentax lens line up look like s*&t."

Well, that was fine. I agreed. I sent a PM politely apologizing.

Then I read Adam's post up there, containing equally vulgar stuff. The thing is that I don't mind Adam saying that at all for two reasons. One is that this is his f****** forum so yes he can say whatever he wants. Second is that a bit of vulgarity to me is fine. I don't mind it.

What I do think is bull**** is that some of the moderators shamelessly practice blatant double standards and conveniently cherry picked censorship. To me that is far more vulgar than saying "****" can ever be. So where is MPRiley when we need him??

Consider this only-banned-for-a-week moderator for once. When Blende8 in good intension tried to inform the forum members of disturbing findings, this mod went off on the deep end on Falk, who didn't even post it to begin with. Some double standards here. People post far more stupid threads on rumor sections with no sources all the time and they don't catch half of the crap that Falk did. So, is this going to be like RH fiasco? Some of you guys are treating Falk and blende8 like you treated RH (in that case it was well deserved, actually). I feel terrible for these two. Think about what Falk has done for this forum.

Myself included, there are a lot of whiners here. I agree. But are we sure that we are the one who is messing the forum up? It just occurred to me that maybe it is perhaps some of the self-appointed moral authority moderators who are dragging it down to the ground. I had no idea that their s**t don't stink.

Well, maybe they do stink. I don't know.

But, being eternally positive regardless is also stupid. What if K-5 turned out to be complete duds ( I am not saying that it is a dud)? When can we start bagging on it with an official stamp of approval? Is this a forum that put a positive spin on everything?
09-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

To original OP:

I can think of a few reasons

First of all, all the whiners should be considered as frustrated Pentax owners who like Pentax but require more attention and care from the company - otherwise they've just already have switched systems and be gone for good

Now a few of the reasons, in my view

1. SDM issue never acknowledged nor addressed by a simple FW option - enable screw-driven focus

2. After sale support leaving much to be desired (including warranty period and service times)

3. Poor pre-launch and launch activities who clearly show poor preparation decreasing the brand trust

4. Price hikes with no clear explanation (ok, yen got stronger, but from what I've read, Nikon/Canon users don't complain at the same level)

5. Unavailability of affordable fast primes (see Nikon and Canon line-up) forcing people to go MF or hunting for out of production FA 50's

6. High price of K5 dollar/feature compared with competition (and taking the previous into account)

I am repeating myself: people seek value for money in Pentax. If they see value staying at the same level (or decreasing - that's up to individual assesment) and money going upwards, they simply get upset.

LE: if Pentax want to reposition as a high end brand asking for high prices, they need to work on rebuilding the brand image in that respect by actions, activities, products. Maybe theh 645D is the way to go... I don't know.