Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Actually, gun education may make sense - it may help remove some of the video game consequence-less ideation around gun violence.

So how might something like this go? They should show pictures of gunshot victims, like they show car crash victims in drivers ed. Then, like condom education: here's the gun, here's how you use it. Best thing is not to use it, but if you have to, here's the best way to shoot someone? (Sorry, I couldn't resist the easy joke)
The joke aside, thinking along those lines was one of the reasons I posted seriously before about gun education. If you have learned about guns, you know a gun isn't a video game, and it isn't a toy. I don't think it will help a bit with the gangs, but it might very well cut down on accidents in areas where guns are everywhere.

09-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Then, like condom education: here's the gun, here's how you use it. Best thing is not to use it, but if you have to, here's the best way to shoot someone?
Sex ed doesn't get into foreplay, positions, rhythm, or dirty talk so advanced topics like "the best way to shoot someone" and tactics don't need to be covered.

I have only been shooting a couple of times, once when I was young (12 or 13) with my uncle and cousins who are hunters and once more recently with a friend who is a marine. I know well enough about gun safety and I know that I wouldn't fair well in a gun fight, so I avoid them. There are also activities like lasertag or paintball that are safe ways to simulate this stuff without risking anything more than a little ego. Kids, especially boys, need a hands on way to satisfy their curiosity about guns and fighting just to get it out of their system.

I don't think that inner city youths who are the most at risk for being the victim or perpetrator of gun crimes have those responsible members of their immediate or extended families to teach them this stuff just because activities like hunting aren't a significant component of the urban african-american culture.

FYI while I was at lunch the police announced the names of the suspects for one side of this gun fight, hopefully they will be apprehended soon.