Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Recommendations for all terrain boots.

as in sig, am looking for all terrain boots for use in tropical climates. My current one the sole came off and kept doing so no matter how many times i glued and i felt every rock and sand underneath my feet. Even more so with the gear i am carrying.

with $200 max, any recommendations? stitched soles is preferable to those glued ones.

am thinking of going with OTB by US Cavalry. I think military spec boots should last longer although have been introduced to Asolo..

Last edited by Reportage; 09-28-2010 at 01:34 PM.
09-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used military spec "jungle boots" when doing geology fieldwork in mixed terrain (dry and soaking wet) in spring through autumn. If you get the Panama sole and avoid the cheap knock-offs, they might serve your purposes. Try to find synthetic uppers rather than cotton canvas, which rots off more quickly in tropical conditions. I've ordered from US Cav a lot in the past and they've been reliable. Got my surplus boots from a now defunct Army-Navy.
09-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I have a pair of OTB Boots, Thor TC

They're awesome, keep you dry and warm (as much as a boot can when you put it in extreme environments). I've even worn them in +40C heat and they felt light and breathable while I was sweating my a$$ off.

Only thing I haven't done with them yet is full submersion in water, but I wouldn't hesitate to head into a stream/creek with them on if I had to.
09-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you don't have to carry them both, two pairs of military ones may be better than one pair of high-tech ones. Otherwise, I dunno.

09-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm on my second pair of Asolo boots - in nearly 20 years!

I haven't used them in tropical climes, but they survive Welsh mud and water very well when I'm partaking in my other hobby of 4wd competitve trials. As you might imagine, there's a certain amount of pushing heavy 4x4's from knee deep mud involved.
We do this all year round, and I never gone home with wet or cold feet.

I buy the 3 season boots that are designed to take crampons, not that I use them, even though I do fight for grip sometimes, but the stiffer sole makes them better for me, and the insulation is wonderful, even in hot weather it helps to keep the ground heat away from my feet.
09-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I'm on my second pair of Asolo boots - in nearly 20 years!

I haven't used them in tropical climes, but they survive Welsh mud and water very well when I'm partaking in my other hobby of 4wd competitve trials. As you might imagine, there's a certain amount of pushing heavy 4x4's from knee deep mud involved.
We do this all year round, and I never gone home with wet or cold feet.

I buy the 3 season boots that are designed to take crampons, not that I use them, even though I do fight for grip sometimes, but the stiffer sole makes them better for me, and the insulation is wonderful, even in hot weather it helps to keep the ground heat away from my feet.
Hi, Lloyd! Haven't seen you in a while. Though, I guess that's a problem in the tropics. Leather, especially, that might last five or ten years in other places can rot out pretty quickly there. And take your feet with em if they never get a chance to dry out.
09-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Consider the Merrell Moab boot. It's light, Gore Tex, waterproof, Vibram soles and about $100.

09-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yah, today I stay with Merrell and for the tropics carry an extra pair of Tevas for the water/mud. Just have to make sure you look between your toes for leeches when the day is done.
09-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

At the end of the day find the one that fits your foot best. No specs or reviews or online opinions will tell which ones fit like a glove, so to speak.

FWIW I've been very happy with my Vasque hiking boots.
09-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hi, Lloyd! Haven't seen you in a while. Though, I guess that's a problem in the tropics. Leather, especially, that might last five or ten years in other places can rot out pretty quickly there. And take your feet with em if they never get a chance to dry out.
I guess tropical conditions do throw up a different set of problems.

My boots get very wet and muddy, then get a chance to dry out. I'm not using them every day of the week in bad conditions.

All I ever do to them is apply traditional dubbin every couple of months, and that keeps them waterproof. But with the man made materials just a good clean and dry ( if possible ) will be enough.

I use Merrell walking shoes with Gore Tex lining under a ballistic type fabric, and they're excellent.
10-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Keen

http://www.keenfootwear.com/
10-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it appears OTB has been bought over by New Balance.
10-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have tested a number of boots over the past decades. Danner and LaCross make excellent boots for all conditions. I'm still wearing a pair of boots I got from them decades ago. Best thing I've ever had on my feet.
10-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
know something, i am getting notions of actually getting the shoes Indiana Jones used. (:
10-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
Hi-tec boots have worked for me, but I've never had to deal with tropical conditions. Rotating two pairs is a very good recommendation no matter what conditions you are in...