Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #31
Inactive Account

"The governor earns 130K."

Just a footnote: I believe Ahhhhnolld voluntarily only draws $1 a year and pays for his own air commuting from So Cal to Sacto. He doesn't need the money. if my info is correct.

10-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
One of the problems with the civil service is that it is notorious for allowing loafers to just coast through their career with impunity and indifference towards customer service, this isn't the majority but it is infuriating whenever you run into one or have to deal with an agency where it is common and accepted.
I hear what you are saying, and I agree to a certain point, but you have the same thing happening in the private sector. Have to call customer service recently? I spent 40+ years in civil service, and I worked damned hard to reach the grade level I was when I retired. Over the course of my career, I did have loafers and malcontents, but they were a very small number compared to the others that did their jobs, and did them well. If everyone thinks civil service is such an overpaid cushy job, then go get one.
10-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #33
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I hear what you are saying, and I agree to a certain point, but you have the same thing happening in the private sector. Have to call customer service recently? I spent 40+ years in civil service, and I worked damned hard to reach the grade level I was when I retired. Over the course of my career, I did have loafers and malcontents, but they were a very small number compared to the others that did their jobs, and did them well. If everyone thinks civil service is such an overpaid cushy job, then go get one.
But good luck getting one unless you're a veteran. I've been applying for what few crop up in my multiple fields, but everytime it's rejection because I can't claim veterans preference. What's really frustrating is that the application process for fed jobs is usually long and tedious. Then to find out all your work was rewarded by effectively just tossing it in the trash because that veteran's box isn't checked. They should just say non-veterans need not apply so the rest of us won't waste our time.
11-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
More federal workers' pay tops $150,000 - USATODAY.com

QuoteQuote:
•Government-wide raises. Top-paid staff have increased in every department and agency. The Defense Department had nine civilians earning $170,000 or more in 2005, 214 when Obama took office and 994 in June.

•Long-time workers thrive. The biggest pay hikes have gone to employees who have been with the government for 15 to 24 years. Since 2005, average salaries for this group climbed 25% compared with a 9% inflation rate.

•Physicians rewarded. Medical doctors at veterans hospitals, prisons and elsewhere earn an average of $179,500, up from $111,000 in 2005.

Federal workers earning $150,000 or more make up 3.9% of the workforce, up from 0.4% in 2005.
Looking at the chart, 7,420 in 2005 and 82,034 this year made $150K or more.