Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What would it take you to switch to another brand other than PENTAX.
I just have to have the latest stuff, doesnt matter who's. 12.04%
Another good review for the Canon 40D   00%
Another good review for the Nikon D300   00%
Just because 48.16%
Sell my old stuff to buy the new stuff. 48.16%
The New Canon   00%
The new Sony   00%
The New Nikon 12.04%
The new Olympus 12.04%
Nothing, I will never switch....I love my PENTAX. 3877.55%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

No real reason to switch.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

In my case, the only reason not to switch at the moment would be that there simply is no real reason to do so. First, I don't sit around all day salivating over the latest releases by Nikon, Canon, or whomever. I get on with my life with only passing interesting in those things. Next, I don't sit around all day in utter despair over the things my camera supposedly can't do (compared or not compared to other products). Instead, I either figure out ways to get my camera to do those things (usually possible) or do the great many things my camera can do.

Of course, since "no real reason to switch" isn't an option, there is no way for me to really answer this poll. By only offering only limited choices for reasons not to switch ("just because" and "nothing, I will never..."), dismissing the many other valid reasons, this poll is clearly biased in favor of switching. If you want to switch, pentaxshooter, then feel free to do so. But you're not going to sway my opinion towards yours by limiting my choices in a poll.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter Quote
(snip) And with so many changes, so fast, the days of keeping a camera body for 10-years are gone. The K10D is young to many of us, yet old by today's standards where upgrading every year seems to be the norm. (snip)

That's utter nonsense. Do you sell cameras, by any chance? That's the only reason I can imagine for such absurd marketing hype. Regardless, it's certainly not the norm to upgrade to a new camera every year and the lifespan of a product is the time is serves it's intended purpose. As such, the K10D is not "old" by any measure. I expect my K10D to last at least another two to three years, and only then because it will likely finally be worn out from extensive use. Others, who don't use the camera as much, could quite reasonably expect two or three times that.

stewart

09-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #17
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Actually the poll does not have any answer I would choose. I have no need to jump ship - especially since the "other" brands have new machines. I still have a 4x5, 4 35mm SLR's, 2 Pentax DSLR's and two working 35mm rangefinders. Now why would I want to jump ship - just because some other manufacturer comes out with a new camera. No ---- I will not jump ship. Three of the 4 35mm SLR's were produced by a company that stopped making film SLR's in the late 70's - I still have them and the still work. I expect that my Pentax DSLR's will work for many years to come - the only question is, will the software used to read PEF's, DNG's or JPEG's (oh the horror - if I am forced to use only JPEG's) will run on Windows 2010 or Linux - kernel 9.xxxx.xxx.2. Or if my computer system in the future will be able to read DVD's or IDE/USB hard drives.

Jump ship = just because the competition comes out with a new camera? Puullleeeaassee.

It is about the image - not the equipment.

PDL
09-08-2007, 02:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
A lack of available fast, pro lenses either by Pentax or 3rd party.......
This is sort of the option I would choose.

I am winding up to do this as a side business. The guy I shoot with, and who hooks me up with work makes enough to cover all his expenses (it isn't a business if it doesn't do that, lol) and it 100% pays for all his gear (Canon 300mm F2.8 anyone), and pays for a holiday for him, his wife and family a year to keep them from complaining he's never there. This is basically the point I want to get to. Although it won't happen for at least 12 months.

So, what would make me change away from Pentax? A lack of the long fast lenses I will need to support this business, as well as a body with SR when fast panning and faster AF. If a firm release date for products that fit my needs isn't available by mid next year I will stop investing Pentax. This isn't something I want to do, but may be forced to.

Until then I will happily take thousands of photos, buy more lenses and be totally happy with what I have.
09-08-2007, 03:54 AM   #19

Hrrmmm..

I didn't vote, because there isn't an answer up there that reflects what it would actually take for me to switch brands.

The answer is.. I would switch if my needs weren't being met by the system I was currently with.

Plain and simple.

09-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I see no reason to switch at present. I don't have the fanboy mentality, but my Pentaxes have worked fine for me since 1981 or so. I don't need latest and greatest and I don't care about the latest features. I certainly don't zoom in to 400% looking for patterns and noise. As long as the shot comes out and I get a smile when I present it, I'm happy.

Having said that, I would probably choose Nikon over Canon if Pentax were no longer viable and I had to buy new stuff. Unless I won the lottery and then I'd plop $40K down on a couple of canon bodies and some of that sweet long glass.
09-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
Unless I won the lottery and then I'd plop $40K down on a couple of canon bodies and some of that sweet long glass.
Yah but for that money, you could probably convince someone to sell you their FA* 600/4 and FA* 200/4 Macro!

Maybe.
09-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I did not vote because...

.. I lacked an option making sense to me.

No I have no plans to switch, the K10D gets the job done just fine at present and for my needs the lens lineup is very very nice.

Should my needs change and Pentax not be up to it, well then I would make the switch without much hesitation...

09-09-2007, 05:29 AM   #23

I can't see a point in the near future when I would switch from Pentax.

I'm not well heeled by any means but I have a considerable investment in Pentax equipment. I have 2 digital bodies and 3 35mm bodies (plus another 5 K-mounts) and around 20 lenses in my current system. To replace all of that with equivalents from Canikon would take a considerable sum of money and that is something that I just don't have.

Getting right to the point of the matter what would I gain from switching? Nothing major that I can see. A camera is a only a tool at the end of the day and the user adapts to whatever tool he chooses. They all have their little idiosyncrasies and I guess that's why we choose between the different brands.

The camera is only a means to an end, and that end is the photograph that we produce. That little moment in time.
09-09-2007, 06:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Well the alternatives are not that great. I believe the reasons for me to switch if that should ever happen would be one of two:
1. pentax goes out of business
2. lack of upgrade path (not meaning me liking the new nikon or canon k10d equivalents, but rather the fact that if u want something on a level above that then there is nothing)
Same for me.
09-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Yah but for that money, you could probably convince someone to sell you their FA* 600/4 and FA* 200/4 Macro!

Maybe.
Even if I switched (to Nikon), I'd keep my Pentax system. The reinvestment costs in a new system would hurt though! Besides, that FA* glass is too good to let go...

The only downside is if/when I shoot with a well-known local pro (we've discussed it), I cannot use that sweet Nikkor 400/2.8 he owns...

Cheers,
Marc
09-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I have no reason to switch to another brand. I will never be able to take full advantage of the K10D and lenses I now have. Every time I pick up the camera I learn something new. My skills will never match the system I now own. So, the only reason for me to look elsewhere is if my camera broke and I could not get it repaired or purchase another Pentax of equal capability. I am content with the kit I now own and will live out the next several years trying to take advantage of all that it offers.
09-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #27

My vote: None of the Above

Sure, I'm happy with the Pentax equipment I currently own. Does that mean that I will NEVER switch to another brand? I would be dishonest if I said I could be certain on that. Should Pentax (with new management in charge) start making poor decisions in the future, why should I be locked in to them in that scenario?

Regards,

Ted
09-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #28

Original Poster
Stewart,

MY reasoning has less to do with the quality of the DSLR body and more about the the marketing/current state-of-the-art regards digital or anything technology-based.

We are being marketed to at an absolutely amazing rate and with a fervor never before seen. Just go over to some of the PRO photo forums and read how often they buy a new body.

In the old days, yes that's me....I bought and F1 and had it for 10-years. Canon didnt release a new F1 EVERY year with new lenses and better resolution and faster motor drives...etc..

These days, the purchase of a new camera body is sometimes done, just because we have to have the newest and the best.

Again that's my point, not that the quality of the cameras is deficient in some way.

Last edited by pentaxshooter; 09-09-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: minor edit
09-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Even if I switched (to Nikon), I'd keep my Pentax system. The reinvestment costs in a new system would hurt though! Besides, that FA* glass is too good to let go...

The only downside is if/when I shoot with a well-known local pro (we've discussed it), I cannot use that sweet Nikkor 400/2.8 he owns...

Cheers,
Marc
Yes you can!
09-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Funny this comes up, spent the weekend looking at other brands, trying to make a decision as personally, I sold a fair bit of gear off earlier this year to pay nasty bills etc. Finally things are under control for the future and I can look and putting that money back into gear throughout what is left of this year. So now I have about $3000 worth of k10 and lenses (nothing special left except for the voigtlander 125). So I begin to look at do I keep the current investment, and add about $3000 in lenses over the next few months or sell it all and put $6000 into another system.

Here is my thoughts, comments are welcome

I am quite happy with k10d (I had a ds and a k100d and was just as happy, changing bodies is low priority). The d300 looks very nice, but it is a lot extra for 'nice', I also think pentax will release something between d200 and d300 in the next few months and if I bought it, it would only be for sake of having the latest and greatest (unless there is some amazing feature??). I also see the 40d / a700 as catch ups to the k10d and as fps is not an issue to me do not really see any reason to get one, the 5d has the full frame advantage and disadvantage but also that extra $1000 or so with the d300. So new body is definetly not the decider (But also not having used any other system perhaps I dont know what I am missing (there is always people say pentax has slow af, poor metering etc. but I do not know how true this is)).

So then there is the lenses

2nd hand FA* 300 - around $1000 whereas a new nikon 300mm is around $850-$950 and new canon is $1100-$1200
2nd hand 80-200 - around $1500-$2000, new nikon 70-200 vr around $1500-$1600, new nikon 80-200 $800-$900, new canon 70-200 IS $1500-$1600 non IS $1000-$1100 (+ there is the sigma 70-200 macro, which still hasn't come for pentax)
pentax 16-50 $899, tokina 16-50 $699 (personally though I'd buy the tamron 17-50* especially with how many bad ones there seems to be but not available and although rumors went around about it being released, apparently they are still denying it)
pentax 50-135 $999, tokina 50-135 $699
pentax, canon and nikon all have comparable 50-200 for around the $200 mark (nikon as vr) all have comparable 50mm primes.

anyway I could keep going, and there is obviously cases the other way (the tokina 10-17 is expensive than the pentax) , and there are lenses where there is no equivalents (ie the limiteds). But it is sad when new lenses from another system are cheaper than what we have pay for 2nd hand lenses. and of course you can just order them without hours looking through ebay and waiting for the lens you want to come along, or if you want 2nd hand the amount available is pretty amazing for nikon / canon.

also frustrating is the roadmap and delays, I now wonder about the 60-250 f4 and how much it will be, canon do a 70-200 f4 USM for under $600 but I dont think pentax will try and compete with this, they will know that even at more than double they are going to sell like crazy.

People from nikon and minolta say how great it is that they can use the old lenses too. I was thinking a little while back about getting a little sigma 24mm, for pentax they seems to be going around $100 - $150 for nikon or minolta around $40-$60.

obviously if you are into the limiteds then there is no competition but I wonder if the the difference in the cost of the body, could be made up by being able to get lenses cheaper. You lose the antishake with nikon / canon but the availability of the lenses (and sigma / tamron lenses not in pentax mount) as well as accessories (teleconvertors, macro flash for that matter the nikon flash system) is pretty unbelievable.

I still doubt if I will change brands as I am happy with the 10d and dont want to give up anitshake. But it was an interesting exercise to have a really good look at the other brands. After doing so, I do not believe anymore in the arguments of great value for money of pentax (the bodies yes, but not the lenses or as a whole system) or how great it is you can use old glass, It is great to use, I love my voigtlander but old glass seems to be available for most brands and with less cost.

anway, my thoughts, Phil