Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What would it take you to switch to another brand other than PENTAX.
I just have to have the latest stuff, doesnt matter who's. 12.04%
Another good review for the Canon 40D   00%
Another good review for the Nikon D300   00%
Just because 48.16%
Sell my old stuff to buy the new stuff. 48.16%
The New Canon   00%
The new Sony   00%
The New Nikon 12.04%
The new Olympus 12.04%
Nothing, I will never switch....I love my PENTAX. 3877.55%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2007, 04:50 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
But it is sad when new lenses from another system are cheaper than what we have pay for 2nd hand lenses. and of course you can just order them without hours looking through ebay and waiting for the lens you want to come along, or if you want 2nd hand the amount available is pretty amazing for nikon / canon.
Phil, you are right on the money. I was looking through the keh.com catalog and noticed a Nikon Nikkor ED 180/2.8 for $300. I thought to myself - if that was a Pentax lens it would be $1,000 and impossible to find. Then I looked at new prices and couldn't believe it. Same goes for the Nikkor 200/2 - if it were a Pentax lens it would be twice as much.

But I can't really bitch about the pricing too much, since I'm helping to inflate it. The used market is dictating prices based on demand (with some obvious hiccups from uninformed buyers and sellers) and sad to say Pentax could be making a mint by bringing back out their discontinued FA and FA* lenses. This is where my problem with the 50-135/2.8 comes in - it does nothing to satiate the need for the FA* 80-200/2.8!

The only downside IMO is that I don't particularly like Nikkor glass, and I don't like Canon bodies. I think Pentax beats them both when all things are considered (quality of high-end glass and quality of bodies), and unfortunately that is coming at a premium. I guess I'm thinking somewhat like a Leica user in this regard.

So anyway, I agree with your post.

--Sean

09-10-2007, 07:30 AM   #32
Forum Member

That's what I find hard to understand, everyone always says pentax is so much cheaper, I don't find that, sure you can buy old manual lenses cheap but if you want a modern equivalent to a Canon or Nikor lens it will cost just as much if not more since they are hard to find.

Just as an example you can get a Canon kit from 17-300mm all stabilized (No matter what is said in lens IS is better then in body SR) in 2 lenses that both perform pretty decent, with a lot of upgrade path all for about 1000, that's not bad at all, if you get it used even cheaper and heck one of those is full frame compatible if you decide to upgrade.

I am by no means defending Canon, but just saying I never understood the whole Pentax is cheaper thing, sure if you buy 3rd party it can be somewhat cheaper, but still not that much.
09-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
So, that goes to M42, which will then require you to get a M42-K adapter. That's two adapters on the back side of the lens. Will that screw up the "registration distance"? I'll be honest, I have no idea what that term means, but I see JensR using it from time to time with regards to sticking stuff between the camera and lens mount.

I wouldn't mind an inexpensive (I didn't say cheap) 600m/f4 for getting certain shots out in the wild. It wouldn't even bother me to have to use it in full manual mode. Now you got me to thinking... My annual bonus comes in this week's paycheck...

-E
09-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
So, that goes to M42, which will then require you to get a M42-K adapter. That's two adapters on the back side of the lens. Will that screw up the "registration distance"? I'll be honest, I have no idea what that term means, but I see JensR using it from time to time with regards to sticking stuff between the camera and lens mount.

I wouldn't mind an inexpensive (I didn't say cheap) 600m/f4 for getting certain shots out in the wild. It wouldn't even bother me to have to use it in full manual mode. Now you got me to thinking... My annual bonus comes in this week's paycheck...

-E
As for register distance, the Nikon F mount sits a whopping 2mm further out than the Pentax K does. So in theory, those adapters must be 2mm or less in order to retain infinity focus, and it certainly looks thicker than 2mm to me. With really long lenses, that doesn't have nearly the effect as it does on wide ones (it would act as a very small extension tube) however you can always adjust the infinity focus point to make it work. I would bet that you could adjust old manual focus lenses from 50mm on up pretty easily, just like you would if you had front/back focus errors.

As for M42 adapters, they don't add any distance to the rear of the lens, so it wouldn't be an issue. Once the Nikkor is locked into the adapter it should be pretty secure.

Eh, it looks like I'm just going to have to buy one to make sure.

09-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

A small full-featured body would do it.

i.e. a body the size of the K100D with K10D performance, as in speed performance. Buttons not menus, direct ISO control, two wheels, fast AF, fast read/write, etc etc etc.

Right now all the smaller DSLR's are crippled, VERY annoying.
09-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the question is "What would it take.."

I answer 'just because' in fantasy land I would have won the lottery and money did not matter...IF this was to ever become the case then it would truly be "just because" ...I can.

But until that day, I'm staying with Pentax.
09-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Avantphoto Quote
That's what I find hard to understand, everyone always says pentax is so much cheaper, I don't find that, sure you can buy old manual lenses cheap but if you want a modern equivalent to a Canon or Nikor lens it will cost just as much if not more since they are hard to find.

Just as an example you can get a Canon kit from 17-300mm all stabilized (No matter what is said in lens IS is better then in body SR) in 2 lenses that both perform pretty decent, with a lot of upgrade path all for about 1000, that's not bad at all, if you get it used even cheaper and heck one of those is full frame compatible if you decide to upgrade.

I am by no means defending Canon, but just saying I never understood the whole Pentax is cheaper thing, sure if you buy 3rd party it can be somewhat cheaper, but still not that much.
I think there are conflicting testimonials about which is better, in-body or in-lens stabilization. I won't go about touting one over the other, as both are equally capable of helping photographers. At least in my experience with SR, I've taken a lot of shots handheld that I would never have taken without a tripod.

Thing is, though, Pentax DOES offer a cheaper option for people like me who cannot really spend tons of money on L lenses precisely because of the third party lenses you speak of. Even if we skip the whole deal about old lenses (of which a lot are as optically capable as new ones), the fact that I can get a third party lens at a fraction of the cost and *still* have that image stabilization is a big boon for people like me.

Rest assured, I understand where you're coming from.

09-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #38
Veteran Member

The only downside IMO is that I don't particularly like Nikkor glass, and I don't like Canon bodies. I think Pentax beats them both when all things are considered (quality of high-end glass and quality of bodies), and unfortunately that is coming at a premium. I guess I'm thinking somewhat like a Leica user in this regard.

Hi, I've seen it mentioned before that people don't like Nikkor glass, why is this?? (just curious, as said never used any other system)

Phil
09-11-2007, 01:22 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter Quote
(snip) Just go over to some of the PRO photo forums and read how often they buy a new body. (snip)

Anyone can hang out in a "pro" photo forum. However, most true professionals, from portrait or commercial, usually switch cameras and equipment as seldom as possible. They're paid for competent skills with their equipment; the ablity to predictably and reliably produce the exact image desired by the client. It's virtually impossible to do that if constantly on a learning curve with the latest gadget. So this often translates into selecting a camera, learning it well, and sticking with it until forced by circumstances to change.

In other words, clients (staff, etc) at a shoot don't expect the professional to be sitting around reading an owners manual trying to figure out the latest gimmick of some new camera or whatever. In fact, they usually don't care about the equipment at all. What they do care about is the price and finished results. A re-shoot is a very undesirable extra expense. To avoid that, and deliver the results imagined by the client the very first time, the professional typically uses the equipment he/she knows and knows well.

New equipment tends to overlap the old by several months. It takes that long before a new purchase is trusted enough and familiar enough to completely replace the old. During those months, a lot of new stuff is introduced onto the market. I'm just now thinking about replacing my 18 year old Mamiya 645 with a newer medium format film camera. My four month old Pentax K10D is only just now starting to replace my two year old Maxxums on commercial shoots (Maxxums might have lasted longer had Minolta not folded). I will expect the K10D to last at least another two to three years. I might add a higher-resolution DSLR sometime next year to supplement the K10D. That equipment will probably carry me through the rest of this decade and into the next.

Finally, most professional photographers are skilled enough to be very selective about the equipment purchased. They don't buy something because the word "pro" is painted on it, a magazine calls it "pro-grade," or some manufacturer hypes it as professional. Instead, they know their needs exactly and how a new item fits into the rest of their equipment and their photography. They most certainly don't buy an item just because it is loaded with gimmicks and is expensive. In fact, since they're in business to make profits (live, buy food, etc), expensive is probably the one thing that will turn them off the quickest.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 09-11-2007 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling
09-11-2007, 04:11 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Choices not that good.

I've used Pentax since almost day one of my photography hobby. Pentax was there and it was affordable - except for the lense of my dreams - a shift lense.

What would it take - someone else paying for the equipment - but even then I would probably still use MY Pentax as the primaries.
09-11-2007, 06:44 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Well from my perspective they have some great lenses but the prices are eye watering. e.g. at least Canon has the 70-200L for around $550 but Nikon has nothing close.

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote

Hi, I've seen it mentioned before that people don't like Nikkor glass, why is this?? (just curious, as said never used any other system)

Phil