Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ever lived with an alcoholic? For the record I'm not a pot user or an alcohol user either. But I've lived with people who regularly used alcohol and also with those who lit up a joint or made a few pot brownies once in a while. The latter is infinitely preferable. I've actually never met someone on pot who was loud, abusive, or who made obnoxious passes. I surely can't say the same of those who use alcohol.

I wouldn't want to see anyone giving or using it near kids or using it while driving but I've got nothing against the legalization of pot and the use there of by consenting adults in their own homes. It's a far less toxic drug compared to some, can actually help some people, and from what I've seen it does far less damage to people's personal lives than alcohol.

I'm not saying I haven't seen some people abuse it, because I have. I had a roommate for a year that made me very skeptical of pot and the claims of non-addiction, but overall I think she was the exception not the rule. Most of the people I met out in CA who used pot and not much else were pretty decent, relatively sane, and seemed the better for it. Now pot in combination with alcohol and/or other drugs that didn't seem to be such a great thing. My roommate she mixed both, she and her guy were doing one or the other every night, and that didn't seem to go so well for them.

QuoteOriginally posted by troglodyte Quote
magkelly,
The big differrnce is alcohol is others aren't using it at the same time you are. There's no such thing as a second hand drunk. You also can't smell alcohol unless you're within a few feet of a person. It also doesn't have the horible odor.

---------- Post added 10-04-10 at 09:58 AM ----------

Marijuana users are selfish, like I said before. They are also stupid and that's why they don't get it. Why not get high on life? It's much more satisfying. Shoot some Pentax rather than a joint. LBA only hurts you.

10-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
Maybe you havn't looked around much. Lots of people don't drink or use drugs. Lots too use either one only rarely.
Was this in response to my post? I don't use drugs, and only have a couple of drinks a week. My comment had nothing to do with drugs, I just found it hilarious that the "high on life" phrase could be used in anything other than a parody.
10-05-2010, 04:43 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Yes. I read it as a negative to enjoying a relatively clean life. My association with the phrase 'Get high on life' is an anti drug/booze catch phrase. My bad.
10-05-2010, 05:07 AM   #34
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. I read it as a negative to enjoying a relatively clean life. My association with the phrase 'Get high on life' is an anti drug/booze catch phrase. My bad.
A little flashback to the 60s, Phil?
I remember that phrase too; as the anti "Tune in, turn on, drop out" message.

10-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Marijuana users are selfish, like I said before. They are also stupid and that's why they don't get it.
One could say that stupidity runs both ways, but I won't, since I don't want my post deleted for calling the quoted poster stupid.
He probably just hasn't investigated the medical benefits of marijuana consumption, and so is ignorant of the facts due to a lack of education on the subject.
10-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Marijuana Creates Jobs and Helps Small Business!
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/business/media/05pot.html?_r=1

QuoteQuote:
When it hit the streets here last week, the latest issue of ReLeaf, a pullout supplement to The Colorado Springs Independent devoted to medical marijuana, landed with a satisfying thud.

Forty-eight pages in all, it was stuffed with advertisements for businesses with names like Mile High Mike’s, Happy Buddah and the Healthy Connections (which enticed potential customers with promises of “naughty nurses” to tend to patients’ needs).

A full-page ad in ReLeaf costs about $1,100, making the publication a cash cow for The Independent, which has used its bounty from medical marijuana ads this year to hire one new reporter and promote three staff members to full time.

The paper has also added a column called CannaBiz that follows news from across the country; its author is the new marijuana beat writer.

What would happen in the many communities now allowing medical marijuana had been a subject of much hand-wringing. But few predicted this: that it would be a boon for local newspapers looking for ways to cope with the effects of the recession and the flight of advertising — especially classified listings — to Web sites like Craigslist.

But in states like Colorado, California and Montana where use of the drug for health purposes is legal, newspapers — particularly alternative weeklies — have rushed to woo marijuana providers. Many of these enterprises are flush with cash and eager to get the word out about their fledgling businesses.

“Medical marijuana has been a revenue blessing over and above what we anticipated,” said John Weiss, the founder and publisher of The Independent, a free weekly. “This wasn’t in our marketing plan a year ago, and now it is about 10 percent of our paper’s revenue.”
10-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #37
Inactive Account

"A little flashback to the 60s, Phil?
I remember that phrase too; as the anti "Tune in, turn on, drop out" message.

LOL You nailed it perfectly!!! or "Just say NO to drugs" burp.
Honey get me another beer.

10-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #38
Veteran Member

What medical uses? There are other safer forms for promoting apetite. There are also several meds for glaucoma. Stress? In many marijuana causes paranoia. Natural stress relievers, like removing the stressor along with meditation work much better. Living

---------- Post added 10-05-10 at 12:06 PM ----------

life rather than masking it helps. Many of the percieved benefits of the THC aren't the drug but the carcinogens in the smoke, whether a joint, bong or hooka. Most users complain a vaporizer doesn't give the same high which is the poisons of the burned

---------- Post added 10-05-10 at 12:09 PM ----------

carcinogens. If it truely is about the 'medical properties', why isn't the active ingredient THC extracted like asprine is? Asprine isn't distributed in bark form. So why is marijuana? It's because it's an excuse to use a 'for fun' neuro depressant and

---------- Post added 10-05-10 at 12:12 PM ----------

psycoactive. Please stop lying it's about 'medicine.' The real reason is people can't handle reality. Grow up and stop being children. Live life. Sure it's hard, but no one ever said it woulf be easy.
10-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Live life. Sure it's hard, but no one ever said it woulf be easy.
10-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #40
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Hilarious...funniest thing I've read in awhile! This sounds like a saturday morning commercial directed at grade school kids watching cartoons...not sure I've ever heard it used in adult conversation.
The milk went through my nose when I read that as well.

---------- Post added 10-05-10 at 03:51 PM ----------

What medical uses? There are other safer forms for promoting apetite. There are also several meds for glaucoma. Stress? In many marijuana causes paranoia. Natural stress relievers, like removing the stressor along with meditation work much better. Living

life rather than masking it helps. Many of the percieved benefits of the THC aren't the drug but the carcinogens in the smoke, whether a joint, bong or hooka. Most users complain a vaporizer doesn't give the same high which is the poisons of the burned

carcinogens. If it truely is about the 'medical properties', why isn't the active ingredient THC extracted like asprine is? Asprine isn't distributed in bark form. So why is marijuana? It's because it's an excuse to use a 'for fun' neuro depressant and

psycoactive. Please stop lying it's about 'medicine.' The real reason is people can't handle reality. Grow up and stop being children. Live life. Sure it's hard, but no one ever said it woulf be easy.
Trog--don't you get it at all?

It's not about you deciding what everyone else in the world should do--it's about the individual making the decision for himself. And especially when it comes to pot, where you simply don't know what you're talking about:

Be it alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, or even some other drugs...people either safely use or abuse.

I wish to smoke one joint Friday night, two joints all day Saturday, and two joints Sunday. Or I'm an artist who takes the bus to my studio every day, and wishes to smoke every single day.

Who are you to judge me for making my own decision regarding this?

---------- Post added 10-05-10 at 03:54 PM ----------

Sorry:

But when you spell it "asprine," it's hard to take your other medical claims very seriously.

Read a little, okay? Maybe smoke a joint, because that might help as well.
10-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Ira,
My dog stinks less and is more hygenic than a pot user. Yet he doesn't get to go into stores with me because he's a 'health hazard.'
Also, potheads get too high to realize they're blowing that poison in my face. Let alone realize that garbage goes

---------- Post added 10-05-10 at 04:05 PM ----------

through to my vents.
Since when does spelling a good doctor make? You should see how well lots of real doctors spell. I'm sorry I don't have spell check or handwriting to hide my ignorance.
10-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #42
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Pot is no worse than alcohol...." The exception of course is that it is recognized as a gateway drug to worse addictions as well as damaging as reported to heavy long time users. Not to mention the social economic harm it can cause.
Phil, it simply isn't a gateway drug to anything else. Can't believe you bought that false propaganda

Stop believing the lies.
10-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Ira,
They're given the term gateway because it's possible to open that gate to long term abuse or harsher substances. Just like a normal gateway to roads on life, not everyone opens those gates. Some do and some don't.
How about let's make a deal? If all

---------- Post added 10-05-10 at 04:15 PM ----------

democrats fight to abolish taxes, I'll help your side abolish illegal drug use. If you have the right to use any drug without them being confiscated, I get full use of my money without the IRS taking the freedom of my money.
10-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ira,
They're given the term gateway because it's possible to open that gate to long term abuse or harsher substances. Just like a normal gateway to roads on life, not everyone opens those gates. Some do and some don't.

How about let's make a deal? If all democrats fight to abolish taxes, I'll help your side abolish illegal drug use. If you have the right to use any drug without them being confiscated, I get full use of my money without the IRS taking the freedom of my money.
Your posts just keep getting more and more nonsensical.

Haven't you posted several times about how you live in federally subsidized housing due to your disability? Don't you drive on public roads? Don't you enjoy the protection of the publicly funded police force?

The gateway is open for everyone to go from no drugs whatsoever straight to crack or whatever devil drug you can imagine. It's a choice each person makes. Smoking marijuana doesn't make you any more likely to do crack. You either do it or you don't.
10-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Actually no Trog, and remember I'm speaking as a non-user here, marijuana is not a gateway drug, never has been, and there are medical studies out there which support that fact, that the drug is physically non-addicting unlike meth, coke, heroin, etc. Whether or not it's psychologically addictive is another thing, that's still being debated, but even if so there are many other things in life that are far more addictive and toxic to you than a joint once in a while and some of those are legal.

Daily smoking can of course lead to throat and mouth cancer, but then so will any thing you smoke that way. It's a risk of smoking anything which is why if I ever did it I probably wouldn't smoke it but eat it.

As for medical use the latest studies out do credit marijuana with helping with pain management and unlike a lot of other indigestible drugs given out by doctors for pain management it won't eat your stomach up while it's taking care of the pain which is a huge plus. Also, some studies suggest people with auto-immune diseases, neural diseases and chronic pain otherwise may well benefit from the measured use of marijuana daily.

Fact is it works better than a lot of other options out there for pain and does less damage to the body while doing it. That's why so many people want to see it legalized for medical use. They're tired of being forced to take drugs that are far worse on the body than smoking or ingesting a little pot. Things like Advil, Tylenol, Darvo, Vicodin, and Oxycotin can really be toxic taken over time, and the drugs they give you for things like MS, even worse side effects. By comparison grass is a much gentler and equally effective option.

Yeah, it can be a bit smelly and it's not healthy in terms of second hand smoke so people shouldn't be forced to be around people who do. Like any smoking there should be rules as to where and when it can be done, but if it can help people then I'm all for it done privately or in places dedicated to the use of said drug.The way I see it if people can use tobacco in their homes and in places like cigar stores, than why outlaw marijuana when it's actually got beneficial properties to offer? It's stupid if you ask me to allow tobacco, alcohol and other similar things, but to outlaw marijuana which can actually be far less toxic than things that are currently legal.

Making sure people don't use it irresponsibly is what DUI laws are for, and those we've already got so that's not a big deal. Spending billions though to fight the use of a drug that's generally no more intoxicating than a couple of martinis, one that can actually help some people with neural problems and chronic pain, that just seems pretty useless to me. We have far better things to use all that government funding on...

Last edited by magkelly; 10-05-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Closed Thread