Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #31
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
..............Their frustration and pettiness was ridiculous. There will always be bad strikes and balls calls, but the sign of a winner is how you handle them.
The Twins just cried like babies.

And just in--congrats SF!!!
I don't follow baseball much, but living where I do, the Twins are a big deal (way too big) to a lot of people. I may not watch baseball, but I always enjoy hearing about the Twins getting beat.

10-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't follow baseball much, but living where I do, the Twins are a big deal (way too big) to a lot of people. I may not watch baseball, but I always enjoy hearing about the Twins getting beat.
I'm gonna root for the Twins. They represent about the only flat place I'd like to be at this point, after all. And ... Hi, Parallax. Haven't seen you much without the politics.
10-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #33
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
And ... Hi, Parallax. Haven't seen you much without the politics.
Hi. I do have other interests besides politics, like uh, uh, oh yeah - photography.
10-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #34
Ira
Inactive Account

All the teams I wanted in are in now.

Just waiting for Texas to knock off Tampa Bay.

10-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #35
Veteran Member

All the teams I wanted in are in now.

Just waiting for Texas to knock off Tampa Bay.
Texas heard you. Now it is the Yankees vs Rangers.
10-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #36
Pentaxian

This is going to be an interesting playoff series in the AL. The Rangers have done very well against the Yankees this year and there was speculation that the Yankees let the Rays win the division so they wouldn't have to play the Rangers in the first round.
10-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A very ugly series (at least the last 2 games) for the Giants. Most people think that the Phillies are a way more dominant hitting team than the Giants (I thought this too) but I just saw that the Phillies hit only 3 points higher in team average and hit only 4 more home runs than the Giants during the regular season and they split the series 3-3. I think the Giants have a better chance to beat the Phillies than I originally thought.

10-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #38
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
This is going to be an interesting playoff series in the AL. The Rangers have done very well against the Yankees this year and there was speculation that the Yankees let the Rays win the division so they wouldn't have to play the Rangers in the first round.
I don't think a team ever lets another team win. But the stage is set, so let the games begin!!!

Ratings-wise, which do you think would be the best series? This is a hard one to call.
10-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Halladay vs. Lincecum. Can't wait!
10-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #40
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'm gonna root for the Twins. They represent about the only flat place I'd like to be at this point, after all. And ... Hi, Parallax. Haven't seen you much without the politics.
You can stop rooting until 2011.

It's called a sweep.
10-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
Halladay vs. Lincecum. Can't wait!
I've already told my wife that I'll be checking my phone for the score while we're out to dinner with friends. If the restaurant has a bar I'll be going to the "powder room" a lot.

I'm a Phillies fan but am worried about this Giants matchup. Philly bats have been pretty cold lately - how many earned runs did they score against the Reds? 3? 4? They need to wake up against one of the best pitching staffs in the league or we'll be treated to 7 games of 1-run, extra-inning, nail-biting drama.

As for the AL, Cliff Lee will beat the Yankees twice. CC proved that he's mortal last time out. Even Mariano's shown vulnerability lately. As much as I'd like to see a NYY/PHI rematch, it's not a done deal...
10-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I don't think a team ever lets another team win. But the stage is set, so let the games begin!!!

Ratings-wise, which do you think would be the best series? This is a hard one to call.
That story circulated when Girardi benched a lot of his better players so they could be rested for the playoffs. It also got some of the other guys off the bench so they would be a little sharper if they were needed. I call it smart managing but some sports writers had other opinions.
10-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #43
Veteran Member

This one is for the Phillies!

10-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #44
Ira
Inactive Account

They say the Texas-NY match-up makes history for the largest salary disparity:

$50 million for the Rangers, $200 million for the Yankees.

I wonder if anyone has done a home stadium cost-comparison for hot dogs to see if there's any correlation there.
10-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #45
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
That story circulated when Girardi benched a lot of his better players so they could be rested for the playoffs. It also got some of the other guys off the bench so they would be a little sharper if they were needed. I call it smart managing but some sports writers had other opinions.
I agree with you.

I also think that modern baseball is so different than in the past because in the old days, not only did starters complete so many more games, but the relievers were stronger and more plentiful.

Today, it seems that most teams only have one or two decent closers, and most can't go more than 2 innings anyway. So, that's why a team like the Yankees is so dangerous in the late innings, because from their 1 to 9 spot, every batter is a real threat, and with weaker relief pitching, they just seem to eat up the opposition. (The DH rule doesn't hurt much either!)

Granted, in post season, a lot of this has to do with simple playoff experience which the Yankees always bring to the field, but you can't minimize their "Wow" factor, and how opposing teams can get so nervous about playing them and make stupid mistakes.