Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That one point right there would be the deal killer.
Lets not go crazy here

I miswrote, what I was thinking of was profit MARGIN. Sacrifice profit margin for higher volume and higher total profit.

Things like upgrading from HFCS to real sugar and advertising it as such even though it increases production cost by 1-2 cents. Or selling a burger made from 90% lean ground beef for less than your could sell the same burger made from 80% lean ground beef. You wouldn't make as much money on each sale but you would sell a lot more with a better product for the same or lower price than your competitors.

10-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
The problem is this: Health care reform may be good, however the bill was used to shove through a lot of legislation totally unrelated to health care. Such as: Regulation on the trading of Gold, and the imposition of a 3.8% sales tax on a home sale, and who know how much more that is hidden in the "unread" bill. How can this be sold as a health care reform bill? Correct me if I'm wrong. I sure hope that I am, but I'm afraid that I'm not.
Just about any significant bill has legislative remora hanging from it. That is just the way congress (and most any other legislature) works. It's not good, but also not a reasonable attack on healthcare reform. If you pass a bill to reform or repeal the reform, you will get flotsam attached to that as well.
10-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

+1 on that, not to mention, any bill repealing reform will probably leave the other earmark donor pork unrepealed.
10-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Just about any significant bill has legislative remora hanging from it. That is just the way congress (and most any other legislature) works. It's not good, but also not a reasonable attack on healthcare reform. If you pass a bill to reform or repeal the reform, you will get flotsam attached to that as well.
So what you are saying is: Any crap that they want to cram down our throats is OK?

10-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So what you are saying is: Any crap that they want to cram down our throats is OK?
Nope. Reread the post. It is just not an appropriate attack on healthcare in particular.
10-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Nope. Reread the post. It is just not an appropriate attack on healthcare in particular.
I guess what I'm saying is: Congress can't pass a clean bill, they have to add in all of the crap that wouldn't pass on it's own. I'm old enough to feel like they are taking us for a bunch of fools. Especially, if we believe they have pure purposes.
10-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The problem is this: Health care reform may be good, however the bill was used to shove through a lot of legislation totally unrelated to health care. Such as: Regulation on the trading of Gold, and the imposition of a 3.8% sales tax on a home sale, and who know how much more that is hidden in the "unread" bill. How can this be sold as a health care reform bill? Correct me if I'm wrong. I sure hope that I am, but I'm afraid that I'm not.
Honest question........ how many bills has ANYONE read..... As to health care how do you feel about the "Registered Nurse Safe Staffing Act of 2009"
good bill or bad?
How about the "Equity for Clinical Social Workers Act of 2009 "
Or my favorite........
"H.CON.RES.202
Title: Permitting the use of the rotunda of the Capitol for a ceremony to honor Constantino Brumidi on the 200th anniversary of his birth. "
Bills, Resolutions - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
knock yourself out......

---------- Post added 10-06-10 at 05:45 PM ----------

I guess what I'm saying is: Congress can't pass a clean bill, they have to add in all of the crap that wouldn't pass on it's own. I'm old enough to feel like they are taking us for a bunch of fools. Especially, if we believe they have pure purposes.
After 111 Congress's this bothers you now??
Actually there are some things you really don't want to read........
QuoteQuote:
The Senate has passed two provisions that would effectively raise the tax bills of major oil companies. One would reduce their ability to trim tax bills through an inventory-accounting method known as ``last-in, first-out,'' which ties the cost of goods sold to the cost of the most-recent purchases. The other would bar them from claiming credits against U.S. tax bills for the taxes they pay in some oil-rich countries. Oil-company officials say they consider the two a threat. Some analysts doubt the measures will pass the House.

Exxon has been trying to pre-empt a backlash. Exxon said it is boosting spending on finding and producing stores of oil and natural gas. Capital and exploration spending in the quarter was $5.3 billion, up 26% from a year earlier, a sizable rise by industry standards.

--

[From the New York Times, Apr. 13, 2006]

Exxon Chairman Got Retirement Package Worth at Least $398 Million
(By Jad Mouawad)

Last year's high oil prices not only helped Exxon Mobil report $36 billion in profit--the most ever for any corporation--they also allowed Lee R. Raymond to retire in style as chairman of Exxon Mobil.

Mr. Raymond received a compensation package worth about $140 million last year, including cash, stock, options and a pension plan. He is also still entitled to stock, options and long-term compensation worth at least another $258 million, according to a proxy statement filed by Exxon with the Securities and Exchange Commission yesterday.

The total sum for Mr. Raymond's golden years comes to at least $398 million, among the richest compensation packages ever. The record was the payout of $550 million to Michael D. Eisner, the former head of Walt Disney, in 1997.

Exxon's board also agreed to pick up Mr. Raymond's country club fees, allow him to use the company aircraft and pay him another $1 million to stay on as a consultant for another year. Mr. Raymond agreed to reimburse Exxon partly when he uses the company jet for personal travel. ``It begs the old question again, When is enough, enough?'' said Brian Foley, an executive compensation consultant in White Plains. ``This looks like a spigot that you can't turn off.''

Mr. Raymond, 67, spent 43 years at Exxon, including 12 as chairman. He orchestrated the merger between Exxon and Mobil in 1999, making it the largest oil company in the world as well as the most profitable. He was widely recognized for his financial acumen and focus on cost-cutting, whether in good times or bad. Some of the company's recent success, of course, can also be attributed to the doubling of oil prices over the last two years, higher refining margins and record high demand.

While Exxon showed record earnings, the total return to shareholders over the last five years averaged just under 8 percent a

[Page: H1817] GPO's PDF

year, about the same as the industry average.
Madam Speaker, President Bush reminded the American people last week that he is a decider. His decisions affecting our economy, gas prices in particular, decidedly favor the wealthiest of his base. Thanks to terribly misguided economic priorities, oil and gas CEOs get two tax breaks for the price of one.

Subsidies worth $16.5 billion in the energy bill make it possible for oil and gas companies to lavish obscene compensation on their CEOs, who then, in turn, get to claim another break on capital gains and dividends.

This belies both the need for permanent rate cuts and the industry's argument that market forces instead of price fixing are responsible for gas approaching $4 a gallon. Do not take my word for it. IRS data show that for the 90 percent of all taxpayers who made less than $100,000, dividend cuts benefited only 1 in 7, and capital gains reductions helped just 1 in 20. While congressional leaders seem prepared to allow a stealth middle-class tax increase, which will negatively impact 19 million families, they are insisting on extending the dividends and capital gains cuts which will shower benefits on only 234,000 families in the main.

We can thank our President and congressional majority for these terrible choices and for the disastrous results.

Therefore, Madam Speaker, I urge my colleagues to support the McDermott motion to restore sanity to our economic and energy policies, and so that they reflect the real values, needs and priorities of middle-class families and consumers.The President told the American people in January that they were addicted to oil and signed a bill 5 months previous to that that provided huge subsidies, some $15 billion in tax giveaways, to the very companies who are feeding that addiction.
The "stuff" in the health care bill are really the last of your worries.. or should be.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?r109:1:./temp/~r109zqkYod:e27952:

Last edited by jeffkrol; 10-06-2010 at 06:05 PM.
10-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #23
Inactive Account

The McDs org is also a major employer of illegals and was 2009 Title Sponsor of La Raza (The Race).
10-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
So in addition to the obesity that they market, McDonald's health insurance also drives up this nations healthcare costs.

Am I the only one that doesn't see a problem with destroying the McDonald's business model if the goal of health insurance reform is improved public health and lowered healthcare costs?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/06/business/economy/06leonhardt.html?hp
Question 1: Wasn't it a choice of the individual to take the job at McDonald's that does not have insurance? That seems to me to be a top priority when I'm looking for a job as part of the total compensation package.

Question 2: Isn't it the choice of the people who eat there and eat the "bad foods", the choice of the people to not exercize, etc...etc...etc?

Question 3: If you are that mad about it, would you please stop supporting every business in the United States (feel free to encompass the world) that does not run their business in the way you would like to see it run? This is not meant to be a smart-alec response - I firmly believe in the power of showing one's community, corporate, and political desires by where one spends their money. Businesses have one purpose - to make money. They don't owe anything to anyone outside of the law. If their consumers (or lack there-of) demand something by purchasing or not purchasing their products they will respond.
10-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
Question 1: Wasn't it a choice of the individual to take the job at McDonald's that does not have insurance? That seems to me to be a top priority when I'm looking for a job as part of the total compensation package.
Pretty much sums up the whole problem......
We are all becoming slaves to the health insurance industry....
Literally life and death choices forced upon you by health insurance....
How did we become such sheep.......
Health Care: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics | Library of Economics and Liberty
10-07-2010, 06:14 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It is there choice to work there and to either sign up for or not sign up for the health plan they offer. The problem is that their plan does not offer substantive coverage which has kept pace with medical costs. A McDonald's worker getting ill causes the same problem as being rear ended by someone with state minimum coverage from a shady insurance company if the state minimum was only $5000/$10000. Its not going to cover the costs to fix your car or medical expenses so you suffer (costs are shifted onto society) and the person who hit you is going to be dropped and blackballed (they suffer too).

Question 2: Isn't it the choice of the people who eat there and eat the "bad foods", the choice of the people to not exercize, etc...etc...etc?
It is there fault for eating there but McDonald's problem is that they aggressively market an unhealthy product which is proving itself to be a severe public health risk, like a tobacco company.

Question 3: If you are that mad about it, would you please stop supporting every business in the United States (feel free to encompass the world) that does not run their business in the way you would like to see it run? This is not meant to be a smart-alec response - I firmly believe in the power of showing one's community, corporate, and political desires by where one spends their money. Businesses have one purpose - to make money. They don't owe anything to anyone outside of the law. If their consumers (or lack there-of) demand something by purchasing or not purchasing their products they will respond.
I vote with my feet at every opportunity. McDonald's customer base is people who can't afford to vote with their feet and eat out somewhere healthier. Destroying that business model would force their to prepare more of their own food but that would be better for them and for society.
10-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #27
Inactive Account

"I vote with my feet at every opportunity."

The McD's drive through is a speedy drive by for me. Ditto the rest of them as well.
One exception is the local In-N-Out chain, privatley owned. They pay very well and require english be understood and spoken. A big plus. Burgers only, very basic menu. Try one if you are in the south west. Still it is a burger and not health food. It is OK occasionally.
10-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #28
Pentaxian

News Flash -----
The White House on Thursday defended granting waivers to some employers from a key provision of the new health care law, saying it was the best way to keep people insured until the law fully takes effect.

At issue is a new requirement banning annual caps on benefits, which began phasing in last month. Many employers and insurers that offer low-cost, low-benefit insurance plans known as "mini-med" plans would not have been able to comply with the new requirement without raising monthly premiums to virtually unaffordable levels.

So the administration has granted 30 waivers to date exempting companies from the requirement for a year.

Waivers went to companies including Jack in the Box, Cigna and the company that insures some McDonald's workers, and another 114 applications for waivers are under review by the Health and Human Services Department. One waiver request has been denied, but HHS declined to identify which company was involved.

So much for your reasoning.
Artesian