Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #1

What can I do under this situation?

I sold FA 35/f2 on ebay. It was delivered by UPS on yesterday morning but the buyer called me tonight and told me that the package was empty. His freind received and opened the package and then told him there was no lens. I don't know why his freind did that. What can I do under this situation? How can I protect myself? Thanks.

10-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
File a claim with UPS. They will have a record of the weight of the package, though for such a small lens it may not be conclusive that something was in the box.

They will normally go to the recipient and ask some questions, and likely deny your claim...

But, why did the friend open it? I think there is your loophole.
10-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
File a claim with UPS. They will have a record of the weight of the package, though for such a small lens it may not be conclusive that something was in the box.

They will normally go to the recipient and ask some questions, and likely deny your claim...

But, why did the friend open it? I think there is your loophole.
Thanks.
I packaged the box and attached the shipping label by myself then dropped in a UPS store. I printed the label online after I paid the shipping fees. The package size and weight were provided by me but printed on the UPS label. So I don't know whether filing a claim would help.
10-07-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ask the guy to go to a postal office and weigh the empty package. He will have grounds for interrogating his friend. It's either his friend or some postal worker...

10-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Did you insure the package? Delivery confirmation?
10-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Ask the guy to go to a postal office and weigh the empty package. He will have grounds for interrogating his friend. It's either his friend or some postal worker...
UPS is not the post office; the post office is USPS.
10-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
UPS is not the post office; the post office is USPS.
... but the post office will weigh the box for you.

10-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree with the above. Have him weigh the empty box BEFORE you tell him what UPS says the package weighed through their check points. Then you will know and have the records to show him you shipped it. Did you insure it? That would protect you from a UPS worker having taken it.
10-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

watch his flickr account...
10-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
watch his flickr account...
good tip
10-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Need to also have the recipient ask his friend if the box appeared damaged or appeared to have been opened prior to him/her opening it without permission...... This smells!
10-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Did you insure the package? Delivery confirmation?

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
I agree with the above. Have him weigh the empty box BEFORE you tell him what UPS says the package weighed through their check points. Then you will know and have the records to show him you shipped it. Did you insure it? That would protect you from a UPS worker having taken it.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Need to also have the recipient ask his friend if the box appeared damaged or appeared to have been opened prior to him/her opening it without permission...... This smells!
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I did not log in for several days.
I insured the package and reported to UPS. UPS told me today that the items were fell out from the package and are missing after they had an investigation by picking up the package from the receiver. UPS told me that if they are unable to find the items in 5 days, they will pay for them to me. I'm waiting for the final result.
10-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonwsun Quote
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I did not log in for several days.
I insured the package and reported to UPS. UPS told me today that the items were fell out from the package and are missing after they had an investigation by picking up the package from the receiver. UPS told me that if they are unable to find the items in 5 days, they will pay for them to me. I'm waiting for the final result.
You got UPS to Agree to Pay A Claim?

huh

Holy Crap! The world as we know it is coming to an end.

Do keep us posted.

10-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You got UPS to Agree to Pay A Claim?

:huh:

Holy Crap! The world as we know it is coming to an end.

Do keep us posted.

I got email from UPS today and it said:
"Please note that the claim check is being processed and a check will be issued and mailed within five business days after UPS received the paperwork."
Does it mean I will get the check soon? My concern is whether there is any possibility that UPS will refuse to pay. I have to refund to the buyer today, otherwise, the case will be escalated to ebay and I will lose transaction fee.
10-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonwsun Quote
I got email from UPS today and it said:
"Please note that the claim check is being processed and a check will be issued and mailed within five business days after UPS received the paperwork."
Does it mean I will get the check soon? My concern is whether there is any possibility that UPS will refuse to pay. I have to refund to the buyer today, otherwise, the case will be escalated to ebay and I will lose transaction fee.
Here is my experience with insurance claims.

USPS: I do camera repairs to help support this hobby of mine. Mostly Rollefilex type TLR cameras. Somebody sent me 3 (three) cameras to do a basic CLA on. He had Double boxed all of them and sent them in a very well padded outer box. You probably could have driven a truck over this box without damaging the contents. What you could NOT do however, without damage, is ram the box with the blade of a forklift. A real long story short, it took him 3 months to settle the claim and they finally did pay.

UPS: Many moons ago I wanted an ALPS Dye Sub printer to print decals (specifically so I could print White on clear decal film). Bought one used on ebay, from a 'Reverend'. He didn't pack it correctly and as a result the gear that moves the print head back and fourth sheared teeth. A Very common problem with these printers. BY this time, Alps had stopped any support of the printers. I asked the seller, remember, a 'Reverend', to help with a claim. He refused. He refused any help at all (and if I ever meet that SOB, he will meet his maker at the end of a Louisville slugger). Since the Shipper owns the claim, he has to initiate it or release it to the recipient. Doesn't matter who actually paid for it and I think that is the case with All shippers. Bottom line, this should have been a shot into a napkin (instead of finding a fertile egg) jerk off has my $230 and I have a Large paperweight.

Fedex (ground)... Same printer. I had managed to make the necessary compound gear to get the printer working. I had actually managed to make a print with it. By that time however I was so disgusted with the prospect of this shitty printer, I didn't want it anymore. So, I listed on ebay (disclosing everything), and sold it for what I had paid. By this time, I'm pissed off with shipping anything at UPS I've decided to use Fedex Ground instead. Pack it properly, take it to the depot, pay the money and insure it, off it goes. Buyer gets the printer, plugs it in, turns it on, big cloud of white smoke comes out of the back. He writes, we file the claim, fedex ships the printer back, and refuses the claim stating no apparent damage. I get on the phone, politely explain, Again, that this was internal unseen damage. After a few minutes of going up through the ranks of Fedex claim management, they agree to cut a check for the price he paid minus the shipping cost. I refund his money (minus the shipping cost), everybody is happy or at least as can be given the experience (this is before ebay's paypal only policy and he'd paid with a postal money order). I could have just given him the half peace sign but I'm not that kind of person.

I finally unloaded that printer on ebay (again) as a parts unit. The guy who bought it wanted the gear to fix His printer. I've since had a few requests for gears but no one wants to pay the price. I really don't want to make another one but for my asking price, I will.

Fedex (ground): 1999, Dad dies. He had a fairly well set up video production studio. Mom says unload this stuff for me. Most of the sales go without a hitch. With the exception of 2 of the monitors. They arrive to the recipient smashed. File the claim, fight with them a little bit, they pay, done. In this case however they did not return the package.

So, to answer your question, I don't know. It's always like pulling teeth and I have always heard that UPS was among the worse. If they Say they are going to pay you, and you are the original shipper, make sure your paperwork is all in and see what happens. At this point at least, they haven't refused.