Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for clarification, Nesster. I indeed misunderstood it.

In my opinion any representative of any religion trying to proselytize during a festival of a different religion should indeed be asked to desist and if they don't do so at once, they could and should be indeed arrested.

It is just that as usual in all such cases, a point has to be made that this rule (or law) is common for all and not specifically for A proselytizing to B where A and B stand for any specific religions.

10-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
.... meanwhile, as I read some of this stuff, I have the distinct feeling that I've landed on some steam punk version of reality, where short wave radio propaganda stations broadcast earnestly read text...

Similarities Between Mormonism and Islam
QuoteQuote:
Glenn Beck, a Mormon, was able to get Christians to lock arms with Muslims in a spiritual endeavor that was looking to "one god". Topic Two: September 11, 1857, Mormons slaughter 120 men, women, and children in the name of "God" and then years later the Mormons worked to build a Mormon memorial on the ground of the Mountain Meadow Massacre against the wishes of family members of the slain. On September 11, 2001, Islamic terrorists murdered American citizens in the name of God and now seek to build a memorial to their religion in the form of a Mosque only a stone throw from where the Twin Towers once stood. Topic Three: Hear the real story behind the Mormon War in Missouri in 1883. Topic Four: Biblically committed Christians must understand the spiritual deception of these last days and how Satan will move among false religions and cults to deceive Christians as well as non-Christians as he seeks to build his one-world religion. Satan is seeking to destroy Biblical Christianity for a humanistic "Christianity". Satan wants to embarrass and compromise Christian pastors and leaders. Satan is seeking to infiltrate Bible-based churches with false teaching and turn them toward his goal of pagan spirituality and pluralism-in the name of tolerance-and a social gospel. Satan will use that which has a form of godliness but denies the God of the Bible. (2 Timothy 3:5)
And SBC’S RICHARD LAND SAYS MORMONISM FOURTH ABRAHAMIC FAITH : Apprising Ministries

QuoteQuote:
As rapidly apostatizing mainstream evanjellyfish as it continues its lust for acceptance by unregenerate mankind
10-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote

In my opinion any representative of any religion trying to proselytize during a festival of a different religion should indeed be asked to desist and if they don't do so at once, they could and should be indeed arrested.

It is just that as usual in all such cases, a point has to be made that this rule (or law) is common for all and not specifically for A proselytizing to B where A and B stand for any specific religions.
Boris, I think that was my point, and I am fully familiar with the Jewish position on proselytizing. If you have followed my prior posts, I am married to a Jewish woman and took classes with a Rabbi prior to my marriage for possible conversion.

Just because one does not believe it is proper for Christians to proselytize at a festival of another religion, does not mean you are promoting or denouncing either religion. You are just keeping the peace. Ms. Angle's statement is nonsense.

Last edited by GeneV; 10-12-2010 at 05:03 PM.
10-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Gene, we seem to be in agreement with regard to how to deal with proselytizing at another religion's festival. I am not privy to all the details of Ms Angle's statement and I don't follow American politics, at least not at this scale.

It is good to know (some of) your background. It will help me to understand your written word better or easier. You will have to agree with me that me being Jewish and your having taken classes with a Rabbi having later on married a Jewish woman does not necessarily mean that we should automatically agree on everything .

10-13-2010, 05:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Gene, we seem to be in agreement with regard to how to deal with proselytizing at another religion's festival. I am not privy to all the details of Ms Angle's statement and I don't follow American politics, at least not at this scale.

It is good to know (some of) your background. It will help me to understand your written word better or easier. You will have to agree with me that me being Jewish and your having taken classes with a Rabbi having later on married a Jewish woman does not necessarily mean that we should automatically agree on everything .
I'm pretty sure we don't agree on everything, and I think you would agree with my wife on fewer things than me. I just don't want to be misunderstood. I chose the example of a Jewish festival because it is another minority religion in the U.S. with a name for its body of religious law that sounds foreign and could be used by a demagogue in the same way.

In case there is any doubt, I do not pretend to be an expert on Judaism or Israel (I generally avoid threads on that subject), but I do have a bit of personal experience with conversion and attitudes toward proselytizing.

Last edited by GeneV; 10-13-2010 at 05:23 AM.
10-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Angle To Latino Students: 'Some Of You Look A Little More Asian To Me' | TPMDC

QuoteQuote:
"So that's what we want is a secure and sovereign nation and, you know, I don't know that all of you are Latino. Some of you look a little more Asian to me. I don't know that. [Note: it's the Hispanic Student Union. The whole room is Hispanic teenagers.] What we know, what we know about ourselves is that we are a melting pot in this country. My grandchildren are evidence of that. I'm evidence of that. I've been called the first Asian legislator in our Nevada State Assembly."
Re: her commercial depicting a map of Mexico and dark-skinned men climbing over a fence:

QuoteQuote:
“I think that you’re misinterpreting those commercials. I’m not sure that those are Latinos in that commercial. What it is, is a fence and there are people coming across that fence. What we know is that our northern border is where the terrorists came through. That’s the most porous border that we have. We cannot allow terrorists; we cannot allow anyone to come across our border if we don’t know why they’re coming. So we have to secure all of our borders and that’s what that was about, is border security. Not just our southern border, but our coastal border and our northern border.”
I just love this phrasing:

QuoteQuote:
"Nevada U.S. Senate candidate Sharron Angle (R) defended her campaign advertisements that use images of dark-skinned men and a map of Mexico by claiming that the "Latinos in her ad that are clearly Latinos may not be," the Las Vegas Sun reports.

In fact, she suggested they may be terrorists coming over from Canada."
10-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Hey, if the Honorable Senator from Nevada don't like 'Sin and Big Government,' it seems she can be accomodated.

Just turn off the water.

With apologies. I'm sorry we 'liberal elites' have imposed for so long. No worries, it'll be fixed in a trice. *click.*

---------- Post added 10-18-10 at 04:00 PM ----------

Well. Interestingly enough.... Tried being a modern Pagan lately, Boris? I'm sure we'll have your full support next time someone shows up with a megaphone 'Only preaching the Gospel.'

Or, even, when the Phelps clan decides to crash a funeral.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-18-2010 at 01:02 PM.
10-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Yes Angle 911 terrorists all came through our porous Canada/US border...kind of annoys the Canadians when you say that.......
QuoteQuote:
Doer writes. "None of the 9/11 hijackers entered the United States from or through Canada. Extensive investigations by U.S. law enforcement authorities have established that all the hijackers entered the United States directly from third countries — not Canada — with visas issued by American diplomatic missions overseas."

Hani Nasser, an embassy spokesman, said Doer had not yet received a response from Angle.
9/11 terrorists did not come from Canada, ambassador tells Republican
To be fair there was the "millenium plot"
The Millenium Plot
10-19-2010, 05:12 AM   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

It doesn't matter what country they came through to get here. It was OUR system that failed.
It's pretty clear where the problem is when one investigator says "Hey, there are some Arab foreign nationals in a flight school that only want to learn to fly, but not take off or land." and the powers above her say "Meh".
Closed Thread